Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 24,923 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about buying a condo at Kure/Carolina Beach due to its proximity to the Raleigh area. We are retired and would like to enjoy at least quiet evenings while having walking proximity to the ocean. We've heard that there are areas within Carolina Beach that can flood at times and that Kure Beach has some problems with beach erosion. Opinions, please, on the desirability of this area as a part time home and if some areas could be more advantageous to living there rather than just vacationing than other areas. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM

13,345 posts, read 26,840,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytgirl View Post
My husband and I are thinking about buying a condo at Kure/Carolina Beach due to its proximity to the Raleigh area. We are retired and would like to enjoy at least quiet evenings while having walking proximity to the ocean. We've heard that there are areas within Carolina Beach that can flood at times and that Kure Beach has some problems with beach erosion. Opinions, please, on the desirability of this area as a part time home and if some areas could be more advantageous to living there rather than just vacationing than other areas. Thank you!
It's a personal decision, of course. Personally,I would find the drive to Carolina or Kure Beach very stressful. After you get off the Interstate, it is about 20 miles through Wilmington city traffic to get to Kure Beach.

On the other hand , it is about the same distance to Topsail Beach, with a much less stressful drive from I-40 to I-140 to 17 to 210. I also find Topsail is a lot quieter, and the houses are not so tightly packed together as on Carolina Beach.

I'd suggest spending some time at other beaches before you decide.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,239,764 times
I agree on spending time at as many beaches as you can and see which one floats your boat!

I like the Brunswick County beaches myself. Lots of people love Kure and Carolina and Topsail, but they're not my faves. The Crystal Coast (Emerald Isle area) is pretty close to Raleigh, too, and might be worth a look.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,554,106 times
I love both - Kure would be preferable to me - but Carolina Beach has a thriving condo community. There's a small lake in Carolina Beach with a walking path around it, and there are a lot of activities there on the weekends. If I could, I'd definitely buy a small condo in either one as a beach place (I currently live in Durham).

Don't buy in the Riggings. It's the complex right on the beach next to Ft. Fisher that has sandbags in front of the first floor units. I'd personally avoid anything beachfront - flood insurance has gone up and it's just not worth it to me.

I noticed that there are a lot of happy retirees in Carolina Beach.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM

Thank you for the positive reply! I was beginning to think no one liked the area. Also thanks for the warning - that's the type of insider info that I'm looking for (something a realtor may not tell you!).

Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM

3,070 posts, read 4,809,974 times
Carolina/Kure Beach are quickly becoming a "suburb" of Wilmington...I like the long term outlook of that area....but consider this...it will become increasingly busy (because Wilmington gets closer and closer) and more utilized. Carolina Beach is going to be less "quiet" going forward. Kure Beach is more quiet, but is also more single family residential than Condo. If the Fort Fisher Rec Area was ever sold and developed by a major developer (like Marriott or Hilton) the Kure Beach property values would skyrocket....but there has been no indication the Feds will be selling.

There is (not making this up) about 50 lights to go through in Wilmington to get to Carolina Beach...the good thing is many of them are synchronized. But it adds a lot to the trip from Raleigh as GA said.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,554,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

There is (not making this up) about 50 lights to go through in Wilmington to get to Carolina Beach...the good thing is many of them are synchronized. But it adds a lot to the trip from Raleigh as GA said.
Yes, it takes forever! When I lived in Wilmington, near the airport, it took around 35 minutes to get to Ft. Fisher, and took 15 to get to Wrightsville beach (but then sometimes another 1/2 hour to find parking at Wrightsville).

Old 03-18-2014, 02:40 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,239,764 times
I know folks in Raleigh who have a beach condo at Ocean Isle, too. You might include that one in your investigations. It's a little further down than Carolina and Kure, but you don't have to go right through Wilmington.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM

Great info. Can't wait to see how all those traffic lights pan out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina