Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,725 times

Advertisements

Folks;

Perhaps someone can shed some light on the town of Burgaw. My wife and I just returned yesterday from a week there. It was her first time there, my 4th (business). I'll cut to the chase. We are both semi retired. FAR from rich, but not starving either. We own several properties in Illinois (where we now reside), and have really fallen in love with the town. It's approx. the size of the town we live in here, seems friendly enough, and compared to the Central Illinois winters, it's nirvana!

While there, we found a really nice little house for sale...that we are told by some locals is a 'bad' neighborhood. The crime stats certainly don't look terrible by any means.

We were looking at this house as a 'transition' home. If we like the area, more than likely we'll end up selling our Illinois properties and either buying/building something permanent.

It's just the wife and I, no children, and are both just shy of 50. We're forward thinking, not prejudice, not overly picky. We just don't want to live in an area that is too awful bad.

FYI...we have both lived in Chicago in years past prior to moving to the small town we are in now and love. We're not strangers to racial diversity and the activities of the inner city.

Can anyone Burgaw local provide any input??

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 01:38 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDJAndy View Post
While there, we found a really nice little house for sale...that we are told by some locals is a 'bad' neighborhood. The crime stats certainly don't look terrible by any means.
Can anyone Burgaw local provide any input??
I agree the crime stats don't look bad. I don't live in Burgaw, but I suspect you were being told the "code words" for the racial composition of the area.

The C-D profile of Burgaw is here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Burgaw...-Carolina.html
The median household income is higher than the state average, and there are maps of income and ethnic distributuions. The crime rate has been going down for the last ten years.

I have also seen some neat, new construction Craftsmen bungalows near the center of town. Burgaw has a park with walking trails, a senior center and a hospital, all things I would look for in a semi-retirement home. I think it is not a bad choice.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,725 times
Thanks for your input Goldenage1. That is very, very much along the lines we were thinking as well. Believe me, we looked long and hard for the week we were there and can find nothing to dislike...except the 'bad area' notation of this neighborhood. That withstanding, even in this supposed 'bad neighborhood'...we looked for unkempt homes, junk cars, broken windows, etc....and overall nothing remotely close to what I would call horrible. Sure, there are some older homes that could need a little attention, and a low income housing apartment complex not far away...but even that was immaculate! Thanks again for your input..it was quite refreshing and reassuring.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDJAndy View Post
Sure, there are some older homes that could need a little attention, and a low income housing apartment complex not far away...but even that was immaculate! Thanks again for your input..it was quite refreshing and reassuring.
To be accurate, there is a fair amount of drug dealing going on in Eastern North Carolina. We frequently hear of meth labs found in otherwise respectable areas. But that is occurring across the county. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
I didn't think Burgaw was big enough to have a "bad" area. The whole town is what? 8 blocks by 12 blocks? You can throw a rock from one end to the other.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:12 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
If you currently live in a small town that you know and love, why would you want to move to Burgaw?? Keep in mind that a small town that is partially in the proximity of a huge metropolis like Chicago is completely different from a small southern town which is surrounded by farmland and for the most part, abject poverty. Many of the residents will have lived there for generations and not necessarily be that open to newcomers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina