U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 AM

76 posts, read 54,835 times

Advertisements

What’s the current status - from those in the know? I know a person who has bought a lot, at a good price, and has a very nice home being started soon. I believe this person has done their due diligence and is confident all issues are resolved, that the hoa has strong financials, and that CG is on its way. He tells me now is the time to get in. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 10:47 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,873,240 times
My family bought a lot in there nearly 10 years ago when the whole thing crashed. Heck of a deal! Sat on it for years, then recently built. We have another beachfront further up the coast that is aged and grown tired of little to no protection from coastal storms. CG gives some protection while still allowing water life.

We've been going to CG since the lot was bought to use the pool, and we do have a slip.

I must say, the development has been kept up exceptionally well during the downturn and continues to be quite attractive. Infrastructure hardly looks a year old, much less a decade now, especially the common areas such as the pool and marina. Quite impressive when considering the low count of residents to carry the maintenance costs.

The primary builder lives there. He is pretty good, but fair warning, is very slow and several residents do not care for him much. But all-in-all, he builds a pretty decent home and understands the area and development probably better than anyone who could ever build you a home there. But, be warned, he is slow and you will have to keep an eye on progress as things get built. Nice guy though.

In terms of being the "right time to buy" there? I can't really say as I'm not up to speed on the real estate market there. But I will say, that I doubt a development that nice in that nice of a location is going to sit idle for too much longer either. It's just a really nice piece of land. The HOA is coming around with some of their previous restrictions, primarily because as folks start to build, they're realizing they want approval for some other elements, mainly access to the waterway. I believe they recently changed a restriction to allow the waterfront lots to build a walkout pier into the water, but you cannot dock you boat to it (pretty smart actually considering how narrow that channel is anyway).

Overall, we've enjoyed going there now for nearly 10 years, if for anything else, family time at the pool with the kids when "sand day" isn't in the cards. Now that we've got a home there, we enjoy being there quite a lot.

Almost forgot though, one other cautionary tale - the wind! In the summer, the breeze is great. But when it starts to get cold, it really gets cold! If you're thinking water-front, be prepared to design something to help control the wind, which starts up around 11am and can get a bit gusty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina