Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Thanks! Although I have not seen a any medical waste for many years in NJ. I am looking forward to NC beaches. The water looks sparkling clean! Avon used to be great. Have not been down in a while though.
Obviously i am showing my age with the reference with "medical waste". You will love the beaches down NC..... Especially the water temps, in the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 06:21 AM

11 posts, read 26,069 times
Hi all, I've just returned form a road vacation during which I visited several towns on Florida's west coast, and on the return trip stayed in Calabash two nights. I had a real estate agent show us some properties and I believe we are inclined to look into it further. I noticed several mentions of Sunset beach being the nicest, etc. I was told the same thing by several people we spoke with there, including the real estate agent. So of course we spent some time there. I found it funny in particular to read Biscman's comments comparing it to NJ beaches. This because my first impression of the beach as we walked down the boardwalk to the sand was "it's as crowded as NJ beaches!" In NJ we usually frequent Island Beach State Park, which is beautiful. And the only crowds are near the main parking lots, if you drive down the 13 mile road you'll find paths thru the dunes with parking for 6-20 cars, and the beach is empty! And yes, the water has been clean for many years now. But no getting around the water temp difference! I was surprised that I found the water in the Gulf chilly in the third week of May. Even more surprised it seemed the water at Sunset beach was warmer than the Gulf. I don't think the crowds will be too much of an issue for me (and the day I was there was late afternoon on the Friday of the holiday weekend) as I am a swimmer, not a beach lounger. I would most likely get to the beach by 10, when it may not be crowded yet, and leave by noon.

Regarding the town of Calabash and surrounding area, it seems very nice. There were plenty of places to eat, although there sure is a preponderance of deep fried seafood. OK once in a while but not really healthy! I do like the idea of being able to buy fresh seafood for preparing at home though!

We switched our focus from a condo to a home. We saw one we really liked, about a 10 minute ride to the beach. A bit of a fixer upper, but great price. And with a large property (about an acre, more than I have here), some of the associations we visited had homes too close together for my liking. There were mature trees all around so the yard was cooled in the shade. Too bad we have 5 years to go to retire! But we now have an idea of what we can expect.

Another big plus for us is we bumped into a friend of my wife's from long ago who lives in Calabash. My wife has another friend in our area who is also retiring soon and thinks Calabash sounds nice, so we will start off knowing some people, and the beaches and golf courses should make it more likely our children will visit with the grandchildren. That is a big issue with moving far away from friends and family. And of course, Calabash is much closer to NJ than Florida.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and input.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
Regarding the town of Calabash and surrounding area, it seems very nice. There were plenty of places to eat, although there sure is a preponderance of deep fried seafood. OK once in a while but not really healthy! I do like the idea of being able to buy fresh seafood for preparing at home though!
I spend a week at Sunset Beach in the 70's and was really burned out by having nothing but "Calabash-style" fried seafood available when we ate out. Unfortunately, many coastal NC restaurants still think that's what people want. You have to go to a more sophisticated town like Southport or Wilmington to find any other way of cooking seafood.

Good luck with you future hunting. In 5 years it may be much different.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:04 PM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
I keep coming back to Emerald Isle. The beach looks great!
Just remember that whole coastline is called Hurricane Alley for a reason.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
Hi all, I've just returned form a road vacation during which I visited several towns on Florida's west coast, and on the return trip stayed in Calabash two nights. I had a real estate agent show us some properties and I believe we are inclined to look into it further. I noticed several mentions of Sunset beach being the nicest, etc. I was told the same thing by several people we spoke with there, including the real estate agent. So of course we spent some time there. I found it funny in particular to read Biscman's comments comparing it to NJ beaches. This because my first impression of the beach as we walked down the boardwalk to the sand was "it's as crowded as NJ beaches!" In NJ we usually frequent Island Beach State Park, which is beautiful. And the only crowds are near the main parking lots, if you drive down the 13 mile road you'll find paths thru the dunes with parking for 6-20 cars, and the beach is empty! And yes, the water has been clean for many years now. But no getting around the water temp difference! I was surprised that I found the water in the Gulf chilly in the third week of May. Even more surprised it seemed the water at Sunset beach was warmer than the Gulf. I don't think the crowds will be too much of an issue for me (and the day I was there was late afternoon on the Friday of the holiday weekend) as I am a swimmer, not a beach lounger. I would most likely get to the beach by 10, when it may not be crowded yet, and leave by noon.

We switched our focus from a condo to a home. We saw one we really liked, about a 10 minute ride to the beach. A bit of a fixer upper, but great price. And with a large property (about an acre, more than I have here), some of the associations we visited had homes too close together for my liking. There were mature trees all around so the yard was cooled in the shade. Too bad we have 5 years to go to retire! But we now have an idea of what we can expect.

Another big plus for us is we bumped into a friend of my wife's from long ago who lives in Calabash. My wife has another friend in our area who is also retiring soon and thinks Calabash sounds nice, so we will start off knowing some people, and the beaches and golf courses should make it more likely our children will visit with the grandchildren. That is a big issue with moving far away from friends and family. And of course, Calabash is much closer to NJ than Florida.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and input.
For the 7 years I visited Calabash and the 7 years I have lived here I have heard, "I wish I coulda' woulda' shoulda' moved here sooner.And i agree.

Not to b epicky but, the food is "lightly battered and is called" Calabash"style.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I spend a week at Sunset Beach in the 70's and was really burned out by having nothing but "Calabash-style" fried seafood available when we ate out. Unfortunately, many coastal NC restaurants still think that's what people want. You have to go to a more sophisticated town like Southport or Wilmington to find any other way of cooking seafood.

Good luck with you future hunting. In 5 years it may be much different.
"having nothing but "Calabash-style" fried seafood available when we ate out., This is NOT the 70's.

" many coastal NC restaurants still think that's what people want." Sorry but, THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE who come to Calabash DO want. This is what they are famous for.

There are restaurants all over Myrtle beach that advertise Calabash style seafood.

If you go to South Philly would you expect to find a LOT of places advertising pizza and cheese steak subs? Or get Chinese food? No slur to Chinese food intended.

From Easter on until after schools re-open there are LINES of people waiting to get in.

"When in Rome, do like the Roman's do".

Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"When in Rome, do like the Roman's do".
I agree, and that is fine when you are a summer visitor. However, if you are looking for a permanent place to retire, as the OP is, then the lack of variety in the restaurants counts as a negative.

I hope Calabash now has something else to offer, like a good steakhouse.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-26-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I agree, and that is fine when you are a summer visitor. However, if you are looking for a permanent place to retire, as the OP is, then the lack of variety in the restaurants counts as a negative.

I hope Calabash now has something else to offer, like a good steakhouse.
"then the lack of variety in the restaurants counts as a negative."

Not so. With being so close to Little River, North Myrtle Beach and Mytrle Beach itself, there are literally thousands of places to eat and can be gotten to in no time.

Which is a major plus for living in Calabash. We have the opportunity to engage if we want but, don't have to put up with the "beach traffic" unless we want to.

It is the best of both worlds.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 AM

104 posts, read 214,779 times
Quote:
Just remember that whole coastline is called Hurricane Alley for a reason.
Good point. How many hurricanes in the past 20 years and how bad? I grew up going to Nj beaches not far from island beach state park. Sandy really destroyed the area. Houses on our block were totally wiped out. In the 35 years I've Been going there no other storm had even come close to this destruction. It was a once in a 1000 year storm. That is the chance you take living on the ocean. I am grateful for the time I've had there.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,039 times
Quote:
"then the lack of variety in the restaurants counts as a negative."

Not so. With being so close to Little River, North Myrtle Beach and Mytrle Beach itself, there are literally thousands of places to eat and can be gotten to in no time.

Which is a major plus for living in Calabash. We have the opportunity to engage if we want but, don't have to put up with the "beach traffic" unless we want to.

It is the best of both worlds.
go to the "GRAPEVINE" in Calabash. Great restaurant and owners are great people.
you won't be dissapointed either.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina