Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 84,905 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

Want to be pretty close to the beach and really want a downtown that has a sense of charm to it. Family of 3 where job relocation is not a problem and can spend around $300-$350k. After doing some research have found the areas of Southport, Wilmington, Beaufort (NC not SC) and Edenton to be areas that seem to fit this description. However my research is internet based where I have yet to physically see any of these places so I am looking for some specific details about these areas. I am trying to avoid the tourist feel and am hoping to find an area where one would enjoy walking around the downtown area and possibly have some type of board walk (walkway) along with water itself. Also love it if there are docks near by where one could possibly eat at a restaurant by the water. Please include any negatives about these areas as well and if there are any towns that I have not mentioned that anyone out there feels I should consider as well please include that in your feedback. I welcome as many responses as possible and I greatly appreciate everyone's advice and perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:07 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Beaufort in a cake walk!

Old 05-03-2014, 10:38 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Beaufort is the nicest small town, and I'd put Southport second. About the only negative would be distance from department stores and malls.

Wilmington is fine if you want a much larger city, but it is more congested.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Beaufort in a cake walk!
Thank you for your feedback. Do you presently live in Beaufort or have you spent a lot of time there? And would you mind giving just a few details about the area why you think it is the best choice based on my criteria?

Old 05-03-2014, 12:32 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Live near there, used to launch my skiff there regularly.

Very small town, lots of haves and have nots, but that is south. Main drag on a "creek" lots of touristy thing, but good things too. With your budget I would think you could get a great house.

Primary reason is water. Down around Southport and all that, the Cape Fear empties out. Water is just not as sparkling clear as up this way. Morehead City, adjacent, more or less to Beaufort, has become a rather decent retail center. Not gonna find Hermes there, but between what is there and the interweb, you will want for not.

Edenton has a very nice historic downtown, but that is about it. I don't "get" albemarle sound. I am sure it is not a dead sound, but just hear very very very little about it. Would like to visit every now and then, but that is it.

Wilmington: We lived on Oak Island three or so years. Loved it (it was a good life if you did not know better). Went to Wilmington a lot. I guess I was turned off by all the projects we used to have to go through. Seemed like a lot more traffic, tension, and trauma than for a town it sized. Back in the day, the road that goes by the college was always a mess. I am 15 years dated.

I am sure with enough money all of these places would be great, but from the time I have spent in each, if I was gonna live it one, it would be Beaufort.

Caution: I have lived on or near the coast for along time. Vacationing here is frequently a WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN LIVING HERE. There seem to be an over abundance of the not bright down this way. On vacation, it does not really matter. Day after day, well, it gets old.

If I could do it again, I would move to mountains.

good luck

Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 PM

LLN gives an excellent summary. I will only add a few disadvantages. First is the hot, extremely muggy summers which make it difficult to enjoy being outdoors. Second, the prevalence of mosquitoes and other bugs. Third is the distance one has to drive to get specialized goods or services. I am used to living in Washington, DC where everything is readily available. Now, we do mail-order, plan our trips, etc. I pray we don't have a serious medical emergency as we are 30 minutes from the ER.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Default To LLN and Goldenage1

To LLN and Goldenage1:
Thank you so much for your detailed/valuable feedback--greatly appreciated. One question for Goldenage1: You had mentioned the "disadvantages' of hot/humid weather and bugs (mosquitos) and being that I presently live near Charlotte (30 minutes north) do you feel there will be a significant difference re: weather and bugs?

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtherapist View Post
One question for Goldenage1: You had mentioned the "disadvantages' of hot/humid weather and bugs (mosquitos) and being that I presently live near Charlotte (30 minutes north) do you feel there will be a significant difference re: weather and bugs?
I have only been in the interior of NC as far as Raleigh, not in Charlotte. Statistically, the weather on the coast is a bit more moderate both winter and summer, but equally humid. The bugs are outrageous unless you spray your property regularly. All that marshland is breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I would visit all 4 places (IMO, they are all good places)...I'll offer up this insight...

Look at what you can get for 300K in each market...and try to get as close to the water as possible. I have a feeling you will like ALL 4 downtown areas. if you like Historic Districts, these are 4 of the best in NC.

A couple of points about each place...

1) Edenton...great town, if you go in the summer try to catch a Steamers game, its like the whole town is there (which may be because the Town actually owns the team). The biggest issue here will be that it is at least an hour or so to the beach...and is at least an hour from Greenville, 30 minutes from Elizabeth City...its fairly isolated.

2) Beaufort...charming town, gets a bit touristy in the summer. Not much bad about Beaufort....kind of a haul to Raleigh so check out the shopping options and such because there is no large city nearby to go to.

3) Southport...I really like how Southport is laid out and its proximity to Oak Island beaches. Wilmington is nearby, which is better than what Edenton and Beaufort has...but you'll find yourself in Wilmington a lot.

4) Wilmington...you'll likely end up in a random subdivision for 300K...which is fine...I lived in the Historic District for awhile, but moved with the kids. Personally I like the options in Wilmington and proximity of them all. I can get to two different Islands with beaches in less than 20 minutes. Every store I need is with 15 minutes. A vibrant downtown is 10 minutes away...minor league baseball, soccer, festivals, etc...park system is getting much better. But it's busy.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The bugs are outrageous unless you spray your property regularly.
I also should have added "unless you live where the ocean breezes blow them away". I'm not sure how far inland the breeze reaches. We are 2.5 miles inland, and get a little breeze every day, but not enough to stop mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina