U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 AM

48 posts, read 147,996 times

Advertisements

Looking to move within the year to the Carolinas and just wanting some feed back on schools and housing. Looking for new development with nice ammenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,445 times
Smile Some suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Deb View Post
Looking to move within the year to the Carolinas and just wanting some feed back on schools and housing. Looking for new development with nice ammenities.
You do not mention whether or not your are interested in the coast. If you are, you might want to consider Carteret County.

Here is a link to some information on the schools which draw many people into the county.

There are plenty of new developments, you just have to decide what amenities that you want and how close you want to be to the water which is the major determining factor in home prices

Entry level pricing for water access communities varies but usually starts at around $350-400K. There are plenty of homes to choose from in new communities. There are communities with pools, tennis courts, club houses, and I even know one that has a baseball field. Some are built around golf courses and some around marinas.

Carteret County is place where most people come if they love the out of doors. Besides the beaches, Croatan National Forest, and the Intracoastal Waterway, we have wonderful trails and plenty of great weather.

It is an area of small towns which are close enough together to be cooperative. There is not a lot of night life.

Shopping is getting better, but there still isn't a Target in the county. There is one in Jacksonville about 20 minutes from us.

There is plenty of shopping in Wilmington, 1.5 hours away and in Raleigh 2.5 hours away. That's close enough for me since we have plenty of fishing tackle shops and boat dealers.

Here is a link to the City Data profile of Cape Carteret which is just one of the small towns.

You can find lots of photos of the area at my Coastal NC Photo and Slide Show page.

I took these pictures on Sunday in Swansboro which is just across the White Oak River from our home in western Carteret County.

You can find lots of links to local papers and other sites at my Southern Outer Banks website.

Don't hesitate to call or write if I can answer any questions as you move through your search.

We see people from all over come to the area, and I think the area does a good job of welcoming them.

-David Sobotta

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM

48 posts, read 147,996 times
Now this is the kind of info I'm looking for! thanks for the links and what beautiful pictures!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 AM

5 posts, read 14,512 times
The Topsail school system in Hampstead, NC has been ranked number one in the state, but I am not sure about this year.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,855 times
Looking for any info about WBHS? Not too encouraged about what I have learned so far.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 PM

We bought a house 1 1/2 yr ago in Supply, @ Holden Beach. We plan on moving there full time after my son finishes 8th gr this summer. We look forward to getting him into high school for the full 4yrs. It is hard enough to get him to even like this idea, not to mention, the poor reports I've read about WBHS. We have been coming back and forth from NH a couple of times a month. He has not even met any other kids yet. Very frustrating from a "Mom's" point of view. Any comments? We absolutely love the area. Feel so comfortable in the house, can't ask for better, right @ the beach...quaint shops, fabulous food...etc
Ruthie

Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 PM

By the way, forgot to mention, we are coming from NH. (it is snowing, actually blizzarding) right now! Can't wait to get away from this!
Ruthie

Old 12-14-2007, 08:58 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,445 times
Smile Good luck on your move

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTHWITH View Post
By the way, forgot to mention, we are coming from NH. (it is snowing, actually blizzarding) right now! Can't wait to get away from this!
Ruthie
It looks like Saturday and Sunday night is going to be a huge storm up your way.

I used to enjoy a good blizzard when we lived in Canada. The feeling of complete isolation was neat as long as nothing serious happened. We heated with wood so even if the power went out, we were fine for a day or so.

Our cattle just holed in the woods until the storm stopped. We always had hay out there for them.

Good luck with the weather, it is going to cool down on the coast next week with highs inthe upper fifties and lower sixties, but I think we can handle that.

-David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina