U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:31 PM

11 posts, read 69,474 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

Have posted a few times indicating that I'm looking to find a charming/historic town feel on the nc coast and seems that I've gotten nice feedback about Beaufort, NC (not Beaufort, SC) but have also heard a few good things about Swansboro, NC. Have also gotten some positive feedback about Edenton as well. If Im looking for a small town feel that is close to the beach (within 30 minutes) and also want to have access to various stores (low end and high end) which would be best? Would love to find an area that also offers craftsman/bungalow style homes but now I may be pushing my luck--but one can only dream. Would also be nice if there were some type of board walk to walk along the water. Self-employed and can spend up to $350k. Of course, open to hearing about any other areas I have not mentioned that you believe fit the bill.

As always, your feedback is so greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtherapist View Post
Would love to find an area that also offers craftsman/bungalow style homes but now I may be pushing my luck--but one can only dream. Would also be nice if there were some type of board walk to walk along the water.
I know you want to hear from others, but I have a couple of point about Beaufort. It has marina with good places to walk along the ICWW, photo here: Beaufort Docks | Beaufort, North Carolina (NC) | Waterway Guide Marina Close-Up
Beaufort has some new build craftsman-style homes in The Wye. The older houses are basic cottages, and not what I call Craftsman.

The waterfront in Edenton is older, going back to the Colonial period, so no Craftsman homes. It is also an hour and 20 minutes to drive to Nags Head, the closest beach. That might disqualify it for you unless you love Colonial period homes.

There is no board walk in Swansboro, and and it's quaint town is only about 6 blocks. There are some waterfront restaurants where it is nice to watch the boats.

None of these towns have a great reputation for shopping, and you have to go into larger cities like Jacksonville. As someone else said Beaufort is hands-down the best of the three, but none satisfy all your requirements. Perhaps you might like Carolina Beach because there is a boardwalk, and you have access to high-end stores in Wilmington. There are plenty of genuine Craftsman homes in Wilmington, and they are affordable.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-12-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 PM

39 posts, read 79,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I know you want to hear from others, but I have a couple of point about Beaufort. It has marina with good places to walk along the ICWW, photo here: Beaufort Docks | Beaufort, North Carolina (NC) | Waterway Guide Marina Close-Up
Beaufort has some new build craftsman-style homes in The Wye. The older houses are basic cottages, and not what I call Craftsman.

I went through all the available houses at The Wye last fall. If this is the same area, I would recommend you see the area to form your own opinion.

Last edited by Mr. Purple; 05-12-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,872 times
Beaufort inlet is one of two inlets along the coast of NC big enough, deep enough and wide enough to be used by the NC Ports. Bogue Inlet (Swansboro) can be sketchy.
About 75% of all homes sold between Beaufort and Swansboro this year were sold at $250K and under. The west end of Morehead City is loaded down with all sorts of new shopping from the Bigs-Sears, Hobby Lobby, Lowes Home Improvements, Verizon, Olive Garden, Best Buy and the list goes on and on.
Beaufort (in my opinion) will offer much more of a small time feel-Without a doubt much more historical.
Bill

Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 AM

10,695 posts, read 11,326,703 times
Of the three you listed I'd go for Beaufort. It's a charming village. You might check out Southport, too. It has a similar feel to Beaufort, but is in closer proximity to a bigger city, Wilmington, for your shopping needs.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:47 PM

11 posts, read 69,474 times
Thank you all for such wonderful and detailed feedback. Just two more questions: I feel like based on all the data I have rec'd that the 3 best choices (based on my family's needs) would be either Beaufort, Southport, or Carolina Beach. Could you guys please give me your opinion on which seems to most offer that "New England" feel--charming/historic setting within the down town and neighborhoods themselves. I will of course in the near future actually take a trip to these areas because I realize that it is absolutely necessary to the process. The other question is about the constant mentioning of mosquitos that I've seen in many other posts. I am currently 20 minutes north of Charlotte and trying to determine if the mosquito problems there are significantly worse than where I am now. I welcome all responses including those of you who have already been gracious enough to respond to my original post.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtherapist View Post
Could you guys please give me your opinion on which seems to most offer that "New England" feel--charming/historic setting within the down town and neighborhoods themselves.
I am a New Englander, and the first time I was in Southport, I loved the old seaport feel of the waterfront. It is not quite the same architecture, but it reminds me of Mystic Connecticut. (Of course most neighborhoods are newer, but you could probably find a historic house in your budget.)

Regarding mosquitoes, I have never been in Charlotte in the summer, but with coastal humidity and vegetation, they are bad!. We found that a screened porch is essential. Unless the town sprays regularly, you may want to spay your yard every three weeks in the summer.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:09 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,358,872 times
Two years ago Beaufort tied for first place for, "10 coolest small towns in America 2012"
10 coolest small towns in America 2012 | Fox News
Beaufort will closely resemble a New England town because it is approx. 300 years old. The downtown historic district is virtually like walking back in time. You'll love the Beaufort waterfront!
Mosquitos in and around a marsh area can be a bother. But as a general rule you should be OK.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:35 PM

45 posts, read 155,236 times
You can't go wrong with either Beaufort or Southport. They both have tons of history, beautiful old houses, and lots of water frontage. Both are boaters and water lovers dreams and have easy access to the ocean. Though I grew up visiting Swansboro (and Beaufort at times), I now call Southport my home away from home. It has a great old town feel with beautiful oak trees and lots of waterfront to walk. It's certainly becoming a popular location of late, probably due to the filming of the "Safe Haven" movie (good movie to watch to see some of Southport first hand) and parts of Under the Dome series.

Unless you want to be beachside or right at the ocean, I don't think you'll get the same feel with Carolina Beach. Though it's a great and friendly beach to visit (somewhat blue-collar still), there's certainly not much historical charm. Fort Fisher is down towards Kure which is nice, but Carolina Beach would lack the charming/historic town feel I imagine you're looking for.

Good luck with your choice. Definitely visit both Beaufort and Southport and you really can't go wrong with either.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times
I have lived in Southport, visited Beaufort often-- launch my Hewes skiff there, frequently. I don't see much similarity other than water.

Without being more disagreeable than I am, normally, I will just say, Beaufort wins in a run away, certainly on some pretty important factors not tied to scenery or "atmosphere." It also wipes out Southport on water clarity and "crystal coast" stuff!

PS: Amazon sells a case of deep woods skeeter spray pretty cheaply. We go through a case a year. I swear my daughters 6th toe is not related to all that DEET!

Skeeters are Hell in New Bern, and pretty much everywhere. Just have to deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina