U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,177 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Sneads Ferry and have either lived in or close to this little fishing village my entire life. Sneads Ferry is a great place to live, shop, raise children and enjoy life. There is no place on earth that is the 'perfect place' to live, however, Sneads Ferry is as close as I have seen. I'm not a real estate agent trying to slide anything past anyone...........as a matter of fact I liked Sneads Ferry before all the 'miserable people' moved in to town. An old man once told me a saying years ago that pretty much sums up this situation........"It don't matter where you go, your neighbors are going to be the same."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,097 times
Smile Sneads Ferry

I lived in Sneads ferry over 20 years ago with my husband and 3 children, We lived close to Everetts Fish house and loved the location. My children are all grown up now and have children of their own but their hearts still belong in Sneads Ferry. Hubby was a marine and we choose to buy a home there and loved it. It was a little hard in the begining to make new friends because we where strangers moving into a large family community but was soon to find that all we had to do is say hi to our neighbors and we where in..Its been a long time since we left there but our memorys are good ones and will last a lifetime....

Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 8,947 times
I currently live in Missouri, looking to move to NC some where near the base. This town sounds like America to me. It is what you make it. Its either home or he**. More good replys and defence than bad. I think some one was just haveing a bad day. Why would you want to Inc. any way? More government? More of some one in your buisness? I know More Taxes. Keep up the defence, HooRa.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 PM

36 posts, read 121,657 times
Default "Down by the Sea"

I agree with 3inchrist, Snickers10, and marinemom2 in that you get what you expect anywhere you choose to live. If you expect to like a location, make friends with your neighbor, and enjoy the area, YOU WILL. If you expect the location to be one where you wil lbe unhappy, YOU WILL. Guess you can tell that my glass is "always half-full!" I live on Topsail Island in Surf City, but love the Sneads Ferry area and the people there. In fact, I love Topsail Island too! How blessed can you be to live somewhere
that people love their military and the United States? We have the beautiful Atlantic ocean, the IntraCoastal Waterway, rivers, creeks, and the sound. North Carolina is a beautiful state with something for everyone!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,456 times
Default Sneads Ferry Native

Very interesting post for someone who knows nothing about Sneads Ferry. It's easy to complain about a place when you had no real choice on whether or not to go there in the first place, especially when you get there and everything you're used to doesn't exist on the same level, but Sneads Ferry happens to be "Home Sweet Home" to some of us.
Yes, Wilmington and Jacksonville are your choices for more "City Style" living/shopping and for some of us, taking that sweet drive on Hwy 17 in either direction is a joy all it's own. No distractions...time to think, plan and reflect. Sneads Ferry IS what it IS...a small unincorporated Historic Fishing Town...not San Diego! Try not to expect Skyscrapers, Metro Trains, Busses and Malls, because you will most definately be disappointed. It's not going to be Paradise to all but it is Heaven to many.
Be careful how you badmouth places that other Americans call home...born and raised!
Man up, deal with the situation and move out as soon as you can SD2000, obviously Sneads Ferry is not the place for YOU.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 8,594 times
Did I understand that a Walmart will be in the area of Sneads ferry or is this the new Walmart in Jacksonville across from the DMV on hiway 17? Sneads Ferry is a great place to retire, however, I can understand someone from a larger area really having diff because it is a cliquish town and there really is not a lot to do but that is one of the things I like about it, my Mom n Aunt live there I like knowing that I will probably not see her on "EyeWwitness News" or that the cops are not barrelling down her door with the latest murder or rape story. Rosemary

Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 13,930 times
Walmart has been nsing around the area of Lowes in Surf City but nothing concrete. It seems the Harris Teeter is a lock in 2010 yoohoo!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 PM

291 posts, read 766,063 times
Yes, the Harris Teeter is under construction now! Right next to the Lowe's Home Improvement - everyone in the area is excited to have a new grocery and some competition for Food Lion. Grateful for their presence when no one else wanted to be here though.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 16,892 times
Default Go away liberals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2000 View Post
what's not wrong with sneads ferry would be more appropriate. I could understand a visitor falling in love with the secluded coast, especially the beach in north topsail. However, to live here is entirely a different story. When you actually have to function in this place it's disappointing to say the least.

For starters sneads ferry isn't even an incorporated town/city or even a village. The emergency services are greatly lacking because of this. There is one volunteer ambulance which uses the hospital in jacksonville, about 30 minutes away. A neighbor had to call 911 once and one thing they did was a cardiogram. Well their machine which looked ancient didn't even work so they were unable to even get a reading. That is horrible! There is one old volunteer firestation and i've yet to see anyone there when i drive by. I've been here for a year and i only know of the one policeman assigned here, i think he's from the county. The people here don't want to incorporate the town because they can't afford the tax increase so they would rather live in the dark ages and without the more secured services.

Now i'm not sure if the lack of incorporation has anything to do with businesses not moving in, but that's my theory on it. I wouldn't want to own a house here with the lacking services let alone open a business. Like i said, not sure if it has anything to do with it but you'd think a big company would want better protection of their assets. I'm not only talking a target or walmart, even a subway can't stay in business here. And you know what they do with places like that that go out? No not bulldoze it, they just leave the empty buildings as an eyesore. The poor roads and empty burned-out trailers decorate the half-assed backwoods scenery too.

There is one grocery store here. It is disgusting!!!!! It smells. There are bugs- you smell them and one was stuck to the bottom of a glass jar i bought. Where there once was a floor is now black gunk from i'm guessing the 70's, no clue as to the original color. The children running the store appear to be high school dropouts. The few times i've had to go in there for something i've yet to see anyone over age 21. Everyone that works there is rude. Most grocery clerks at any store i've ever been to are accommodating and friendly-these punks don't see the point when they figure most customers don't have a choice in where they shop so there's no reason to better the service if they don't have to fight for your business...that and they're kids that don't care. The store won't pay for any adults to work there, not when cheap uneducated labor is so readily available.

Mind you this gross shopping strip is my least favorite place in sf. At the end of the shopping strip is a laundromat with a bar in it! When we were forced to relocate here due to military orders we stayed at the holiday inn and had to find a laundromat. Our clothes smelled more after being in the laundromat for 2 minutes than they did before we went in. Being in a laundromat made our clothes dirty, does that make any sence? Am i on another planet? We found a place out of town to go instead but actually had to change our clothes from being in a laundromat and then washed those too. This place is the twilightzone.

The stores (the only two being Moderator cut: no store names close at 9, earlier on sundays). If a child gets sick and needs meds you have to drive to a 24 hour drugstore 45 min away....or keep the house fully stocked as we do with every imaginable necessity like a flood is coming.

Speaking of children being sick this reminds me. It is impossible to find a doctor here that has standard vaccinations. The "urgent care" places claim to do well baby visits yet no one has vaccinations. They want you to go to some state health board for shots. Maybe they can go to the vet next time with my animals. This is also to go without say that i have yet to find a good doctor for just routine things here. One place the doctor had his huge horse-sized dog walking around the whole place, that's sterile! Another place the doctor smelled like smoke so bad that i wanted to leave the room... Also the unsolicited parenting advice was very country bumpkin...completely out of touch with the medical world. I actually felt bad for the children who have parents listening too such poor judgement. I can't even imagine how many children are under vaccinate here, there would be a sad statistic i'm sure. Well that would fit well with the neighboring slum of jacksonville. Their hospital is said to see a high number of child abuse cases. This being the hospital sf goes to. This place is pathetic. It sometimes doesn't even feel like the us here. Wilmington has a decent community in certain locations, at least you can meet normal people there. A conversation with someone at a local park will only leave me frustrated for being forced to live in this society.

Where do we do our shopping you might wonder...we go to wilmington and even do our grocery shopping there every weekend at either a fresh market or herris teeter, real grocery stores with actual produce. We have to trek two coolers along with baby gear every weekend to wilmington over 45 minutes away. Does any of this sound insane yet?!

The education system is horrible. Thankfully my children aren't of age to be in school yet. I would homeschool if they were. The schools here are horrible. The child/teacher ratios are horrible too. I'm glad my husband is retiring soon and we'll be able to send our children to a better school. We'll move back to civilization where we actually have a choice of good private schools to choose from.

Lets talk bugs and humidity! The lizzards are so bad that a screened in porch will get at least 5 new lizzards a day, that's with cats on the hunt. Mosquitoes-you cannot leave the house for a single second, not to even get your mail or to answer the door-you will get bit! To play outside for any small length of time i have to cover my children with bug spray. Infants aren't even suppose to have bug spray on them. We had to stay inside till he was old enough to wear it. Even then my 3 year old counted one day that he had over 20 bites on his body that had added up, that's with wearing bug spray all the time, every day. I think january and maybe february were the only months we didn't wear bug spray. It's impossible to imagine how bad it really is. Whatever you're imaging now, times that by 100. Humidity- i'd take my ca heat back anyday, humidity is gross and is much more uncomfortable than heat.

Any positives about sf? Housing is cheap.... There's a reason!!! The beach-enjoy it, it's all you've got! A beach is beautiful, but you don't live there. And even if you do, you still have to trek to town for supplies eventually. Don't be fooled by the beauty of the beach, this place is a dump!!!

We're counting down till we can get out of this place!!!! Meanwhile we do enjoy the beach and find our own inner happiness as we have a great family and make the best of everything since we're all together. Our situation is a bit differnt as we can't choose where to get stationed. So our living here has nothing to do with choice. If you have a choice i would not recommend it here at all!! I don't know if anyone is even reading all that i wrote but i feel so passionate about how much i'm disgusted by this place that it's been great to vent. If anyone is considering moving here, think twice! It's the worst place i've ever lived.
i hope you moved away to liberalland where you'll be happy. Freedom is what snead's ferry is all about. We take care of ourselves without the government getting in the way. Thank you

Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 16,892 times
I hope you sold your house and moved to a liberal loving high crime and taxed area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina