U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,807 times

Advertisements

I love Sneads Ferry--We were semi retired when we moved here 17 years ago. It was more country then and is growing too fast. We have many churches, fast foods, a CVS Drug store, a remodeled
Food Lion, three banks, two fire departments, one rescue service and one paramedic service. We have everything here that we need. We are ten minutes from great ocean beaches that are uncrowded,
thirty minutes from Jacksonville and 40 minutes from Wilmington. My grandkids go to Dixon Schools and they do well there. I understand lots of teachers like to travel from Wilmington to teach at Dixon because the children are brought up to be respectful here and we don't have the "gangs" that big cities are famous for. I've never known a place like this that is always having a benefit dinner for someone. Just to let you know about te growth, our church had 60 members when we moved here and not we have over 250. We are totally retired now. If you know of anyone who wants a 2800 square foot house on the mainland intracoastal waterway with an ocean vies and a rentable apartment, send them our way. We want to downsize, but are staying right here in the FERRY>
real caring people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,067 times
Please, SF is not the place to be, maybe at the end near the bridge, only, no fast foods much, and they have much to be desired, I agree, Food Lion is different, not as clean as others. The place needs a lot of improvements, but when you talk to the locals, they love it..I guess they are not use to anything else. GO TO TOPSAIL, Surf City, at least there is life after 9pm if you need somewhere to eat, McDonald's is probably going to go 24hrs in April, Zachby's soon, Waffle House I hear near new Bojangles across from Lowes, new Harris Teeter, Bowling Alley and Movie Theater soon, If you want to grow you have to present yourself to the retailers. Maybe now it SC and Topsail won't die after dark or during the winter now, oh I forgot new CVS is open too..WOOOHOOO

Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,067 times
Default A lot of locals don't like SF either

A lot of locals don't like SF either, too far from everything, but now that SC is building up it is at least not 20 miles like Wilmington and Jacksonville, But still would rather be in SC or Topsail but too expensive that is the only real reason most of us are still here, NOT BY CHOICE, but by pocketbook, get real folks you know the truth..you can't afford anywhere else

Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 AM

11,283 posts, read 19,843,777 times
Default Sneads Ferry

Gee Atlanticboy, we just bought in Sneads Ferry, and like the fact that it is quiet. No crowds of rowdy 20-somethings to disturb sleep when we turn the lights out at 9PM. No one leaving their beer cans and butts on the lawn.

We have trees and grass, and a place to watch birds in the marsh. I think it is close to paradise, and would rather people didn't know too much about it.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,559 times
I live in SF and we have been here for 2yrs now. SF has its ups and downs just like ANYWHERE you go! NO, there aren't many shopping options out here, no there aren't many ppl out here and no there isn't much to do and no there is no "real" fire dept or police dept. However, there is crime but very little. We have local restaurants and bars that serve AWESOME seafood which I LOVE DEARLY! The few ppl in this area are nice for the most part. Like any area, there will be a bad apple or two!

Like anywhere in America, its not where you are but what you make of it! If you make it bad, it will be sad! If you make it good in your own mind, it will be complete bliss! Its a matter of being able to adapt, "Nature vs Nurture".

I personally "wanted" incorporation, don't mind the taxes because eventually more would be offered to us as citizens here. Its like we're "invisible" so to speak, IMPO. I don't mind "non-incorporation" but I am one who thinks outside the box, am not a Northern Liberal... actually I'm more conservative but realistically I stand in the middle of the road. lol

If you choose to move here, its up to you how happy you are. There is a drive to "civilization" per se but it gives you a break from the local area and I would choose SF ANY day over Jax!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,559 times
Cool Do your research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanticboy70 View Post
A lot of locals don't like SF either, too far from everything, but now that SC is building up it is at least not 20 miles like Wilmington and Jacksonville, But still would rather be in SC or Topsail but too expensive that is the only real reason most of us are still here, NOT BY CHOICE, but by pocketbook, get real folks you know the truth..you can't afford anywhere else
You state its not by choice that ppl are here! Actually we DID choose to BUY our FIRST home here! Our home value is more than a lot of homes in Jax and our property is honestly safer out here and I'm okay with that knowing I can leave my home for a MONTH and not get a call from ADT saying we had a break in! I suggest you do your research before you make an ASSumption!

No there isn't a lot in SF, but we definitely didn't pick this area because its CHEAP! My mortgage payment tells me a LOT diff! Maybe your rent is cheap but for some of us its not so much! smh.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM

107 posts, read 215,515 times
These New Home Subdivisions around Camp Lejeune can be a GREAT place to buy a home, but you want to make SURE you are getting ALL that you deserve...

*The Sells Staff or Real Estate Agents in these Developments work for the SELLER, not you...
*How do you KNOW that you are getting ALL the Standard Features you SHOULD get?
*What about upgrades? Who pays for them, and what if you DON'T buy the home?
*The Developers contract MAY be thoroughly DIFFERENT than a Standard NC Realtors APPROVED Offer to Purchase. Are you getting a fair shake in 'their' documents?
*Are there Restrictive Covenants? Will there EVER be a Home Owners Association? Are there dues?
*Who MAINTAINS the streets when the Developer is thru? Have they been approved and TURNED over to the state? Will they be in the future?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM

30 posts, read 55,364 times
SD2000,

I feel sorry for your husband for having to put up with someone like you.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 AM

188 posts, read 667,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ232 View Post

I wanted to move here because we are so close to the beach. Well in the 4 years we have been here we have only been to the beach about 4 times. In the summer it is packed with people so we usually go in the winter months and take our dogs for walks on the beach. It is nice especially if you are retired and have a lot of time to golf, fish, and go boating. However if you work, it is just like any other place. It is a good location for Marines as the base is only 5 minutes away.

I have found just the opposite at the beach. Hardly ever crowded, except maybe on a few holiday weekends. Topsail has many good and accessable public Access locations.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
Default Sneads Ferry

If your a local, apparently this place is just fine. However like with any place you stay there are pros & cons. I will say that I am not a local Sneads Ferrian, although I am Florida native and so I totally get it when tourist & transplants complain, that I would much rather send them back on their way.
However being in the Military, which I can see the locals don't care for very much, this is a place where you have to learn to love as we have no choice in the matter where we live.
Sneads Ferry is a small place in my opinion with no real small town feel. I say that with repsect because where I come from small towns have actuall small shops all located on 1 street with historic feel to them, with one blinking light. Not so here. Instead Sneads Ferry has "The Four Corners" where town just merges from the 4 highways as stores are spaced out here and there across the whole town.
Pros-
Sea food, fishing, beach, country living, location to back gate of base
It is a commercial fishing community which I love ( I grew up in Grant, FL) so there is a lot of fresh choices when it comes to Sea food and the Local Riverview Cafe is yummy if you like fried everything. The beach is 4 miles and lovely/quaint/quiet in winter months but no stores until you reach Surf City(which has the best Mexican Rest. btw)
Cons-
Real shopping is 30-40 mins either way even on base so bring a cooler. The "Lion" is the only grocery store & it's super pricey. Activities for kids & teens are limited so sign them up for sports although there is a cute Pottery paint place called the Turtle for arts-n-crafts. It's the Red Box for rentals. Health care is drive worthy again.
You have to make your own fun here and then make the most of that. It's a great place if your retired. The schools are a small. 600-700 in Dixon Middle and in highschool. There is a Mcd's/Hard's/Sub/piz/chin/spa/1 steak house/2 surf shops/ 2 gas stations/3 small thrifts/3-4 diners. Willimngton is nicer than Jacksonville but Jacksonville is closer and New River Com is less crowded than the main one-good luck as I try myself not to go Shyat house crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina