U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times

Advertisements

We were walking over on the Emerald Isle beach just before sunset today. I had on shorts due to the warm weather. There were four surfers in the water and a couple of guys riding a kayak in the surf.

As we were walking down the beach we came across a fisherman also in shorts but with no shoes. While I was taking some photos, my wife asked him how the fishing was?

He replied that there were no fish biting but things were still great. He lives in Cary but owns an Emerald Isle condo. When he heard this week's weather forecast, he cleared his schedule and came down for the week.

If there is a better beach week in December in North Carolina, I cannot wait to see it.

Our new fisherman friend had two beers on the sand by him and one shrimp left for bait. Given that the fish were not biting that ratio was about right.

I thought all the inland folks and people considering the Carolina coast as a home might want to see some December beach shots. I apologize to any land locked surfers in advance.

The last two pictures were taken with two different cameras a couple of minutes apart. When taking sunsets it is always fun to see what comes out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:32 PM

18 posts, read 51,604 times
Hello David,

Don't know if you remember me, its Edward. Nice photos and some great weather. You'll be happy to know that you are not missing anything up north here as we recieved 2 inches of ice in PA. and another storm coming Saturday into Sunday. Just wanted to say hello.

Oh, and how about this, we signed an agreement of sale today on our home!! I am glad about that and it came at just the right time. Great Christmas present for us, and the new owners, as well. Time to start packing up as time allows. The deal is solid.

Looking forward to coming down to the Crystal Coast once we are settled in and introduce my other half to the area. Nice photos. Wow, that is terrific weather!!

Take care, Edward.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Smile Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalminded View Post
Hello David,

Don't know if you remember me, its Edward. Nice photos and some great weather. You'll be happy to know that you are not missing anything up north here as we recieved 2 inches of ice in PA. and another storm coming Saturday into Sunday. Just wanted to say hello.

Oh, and how about this, we signed an agreement of sale today on our home!! I am glad about that and it came at just the right time. Great Christmas present for us, and the new owners, as well. Time to start packing up as time allows. The deal is solid.

Looking forward to coming down to the Crystal Coast once we are settled in and introduce my other half to the area. Nice photos. Wow, that is terrific
weather!!

Take care, Edward.
Congratulations on selling your home.

You can keep the ice. The weather is supposed to cool off from this past week but it will still be in the upper fifties and lower sixties.

I'll take that anytime compared to snow and ice which is going to blanket our old home in Atlantic Canada.

They got a foot last weekend. I don't know how much they got this week, but I saw their temperatures were in single digits much of this week.

Their (Stanley, NB) forecast is one that I have seen before.

Good thing they have big snow plows.

Sunday, Dec 16

Snow
Snow, heavy at times, accumulating 8-15 cm; breezy and cold. Winds from the E at 25 .
High: -7 C

Sunday Night, Dec 16

Snow
Heavy snow, accumulating 1-2 feet; cold with winds gusting past 64 kph. Winds from the ENE at 33 .

Old 12-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Yes, I guess I have to keep the ice for now but there is no doubt I am looking to get out of "it" very soon.

There are a number of places that are of interest to us both at this point, my wife has decided that enough is enough of these winters and we will be actively looking. The nice thing about this is that we are not going to be pressured in any way while we look as we will be moving in with family so we can take as long as we need to find that special spot along the coast. No leases, no agreements. It is a temporary housing solution and a very good one at that. Nice newer home.

The very top of my list for a place to live is somewhere that is near the coast and thats about it. Even if it would snow occasionally, like a dusting, and have cold temps. for a few weeks in winter is fine as long as it is not like here in PA. Many people love to ski or whatever else in winter but I am not one of them, give me sand and sun any day of the year. Oh, and my boat and fishing pole.

It is possible we will be visiting E.I. for a ride through at the least but are looking to settle inland several miles. It would be wonderful to find a property with water access inland a few miles for our boat. A small home is all we need.

Maybe I will give you a call if that would be alright with you and we can try this venture out anew, that would be great. Any feedback on the market David, has it remained the same as it was when I was down in early September? Are some home prices coming down at all inland, or are people holding out for the market to rebound?

Another angle, do home prices tend to lower during the winter season if sellers were not successful in their attempts during the summer season, is that what happens in some cases?

Thanks for any and all information you can provide David.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Smile Answers on the market

Prices inland tend to be less but water access usually isn't available unless the property is on a lake or river. Of course that raises the price.

You can probably find a home 40-50 miles from coast under $140K. My guess is that a home under ten miles from the coast would cost you another $40-50K though in both cases sometimes you can find a property for less if you are lucky.

Prices are probably slightly less than when you were down earlier.

As to prices going down in the winter. I don't think there is a generalized trend on winter house prices. In our area, if a home doesn't sell most go into a rental program. Sometimes you'll catch a property where the buyer really needs to sell, but so far it has been rare.

I will be glad to try to help you when you get settled if you end up being interested in our area.

-David

Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks David for the update. Your answer was what I had figured it was going to be as I noticed homes that were on the market when I was down are now available for rent.

Yes, as you taught me thoroughly water is the main ingredient in price. And rightfully so.

One other question of concern would be the Insurance rates going up-or taxes, or both. Based on old numbers? Can you clarify that David, has there been a dramatic increase in the amount it costs for taxes and insurance in, lets just say, Onslow and Carteret Counties only?

I am interested in coming down, it is the better looking half that is hesitant, remember.

Well, we just recieved a big dose of 3 inches of ice-ICE-not snow, technically sleet and freezing rain overnight here in the Lehigh Valley. Right now it is sunny and snowing like a blizzard out my window, just a quick burst of snow, than it suddenly stops. Wife is not happy, Dog is not happy, Me is not happy...its so cold out with the wind factored in I don't even want to think about going out-it is just one of those days where it is much colder than it has been this winter so far. At least according to the term "Real Feel" that the weather forecasters locally have seemed to latch onto . Basically how it feels on the skin factoring in the wind.

Your used to this beings from up yonder, so am I , but honestly its about enough of this already for me, bring me April at the least.

Taxes, Insurance?

(they are not even salting the roads, salt don't work below a certain temperature, they are cindering here for traction at least) Later, Edward

Old 12-16-2007, 03:45 PM

Wink Taxes and Insurance

Quote:
Can you clarify that (there) has there been a dramatic increase in the amount it costs for taxes and insurance in, lets just say, Onslow and Carteret Counties only?
Actually last year was one of the years for re-evaluation of property values. It established market values at high level for tax purposes. Fortunately that is only part of the equation. The tax rate is second part and in fact, the rate in many areas of the county ended up going down and making many tax bills close to revenue neutral.

I cannot speak in exact terms (without some research) but I know that historically Carteret County taxes are low because of the high value of the beach property.

I can tell you that we have similarly priced homes in Roanoke County, Va. and Carteret County.

Our property taxes in Roanoke County are about $6,000. Our taxes in Carteret County are $1,750. Our insurance in Roanoke County is $1,025 per year. Our insurance in Carteret County is $2,750. Flood insurance since we are waterfront is another $600 in Carteret County.

Total property plus insurance is $7,025 in Roanoke County.

Total property plus insurance including flood in Carteret County is $5100.

Our savings are about 27% in Carteret County compared to Roanoke County, VA.

Our insurance has not gone up in NC, but we have only been there 18 months.

Most people find the taxes very reasonable and the insurance somewhat expensive.

Of course if you don't live in a flood zone, and the lot across the road from us isn't in one, then you don't have to pay the flood insurance and the savings would be higher or close to 36%.

I am hoping to do a complete cost of living comparison if I get some time this winter.

Heating and cooling is far less expensive than in Roanoke, but other than that I haven't put the figures together.

I hope that helps.

-David Sobotta

Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Yes David, that itself has helped a lot. Even the 600 dollars for flood insurance is surprisingly low, at least to me it is. I expected it to be higher.

And factoring in the savings in heating bills, especially with efficient oil heat actually, which I do not know how common that is on the coast or statewide, would be significant.

Oil heat hot water, or hot forced air oil is the predominant heating in my state. I would think heat pumps are very popular in NC, for ease of installation and for practicality as the climate is very good for heat pumps to be used. Of course AC on the reverse of the system makes it quite popular.

Up here, home heating bills are a major, major source of winter time expenditures for many, there are several programs available to help people.

I know you talked about a comprehensive cost analysis a while back and I look forward to seeing you do one.

56 MPH wind gust was just measured here at home for 7 seconds. It is VERY windy right now and it is just blowing in every and any direction. Sure is a cold, crisp night. For PA, 56 MPH will make top story news. (I find that funny, just like the hype when snow is possible)

Power flickering on and off momentarily. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Smile Heating Costs

Quote:
Yes David, that itself has helped a lot. Even the 600 dollars for flood insurance is surprisingly low, at least to me it is. I expected it to be higher.

And factoring in the savings in heating bills, especially with efficient oil heat actually, which I do not know how common that is on the coast or statewide, would be significant.

Oil heat hot water, or hot forced air oil is the predominant heating in my state. I would think heat pumps are very popular in NC, for ease of installation and for practicality as the climate is very good for heat pumps to be used. Of course AC on the reverse of the system makes it quite popular.

Up here, home heating bills are a major, major source of winter time expenditures for many, there are several programs available to help people.

I know you talked about a comprehensive cost analysis a while back and I look forward to seeing you do one.

56 MPH wind gust was just measured here at home for 7 seconds. It is VERY windy right now and it is just blowing in every and any direction. Sure is a cold, crisp night. For PA, 56 MPH will make top story news. (I find that funny, just like the hype when snow is possible)

Power flickering on and off momentarily. Thanks for your help.

My wife doesn't have the full check register with us for our coastal home, but our electric costs from May on are as follows.

May $94 (slept with windows most of the time)
Jun $112 (same as May, wonderful weather)
July $189
Aug $242
Sep $229
Oct $159
Nov $106

Our coastal home is approximately 2200 square feet. We have electric hot water, electric fridge, electric washer and dryer, but we have a gas stove.

We also have a gas fireplace which we use for supplemental heating.

We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and the living room.

We have a heat pump as do most homes. They work really well at temperatures above 45 degrees or so.

We leave the heat on 68 degrees in the winter and the air conditioning on 78 during the summer. Any cooler in the summer, and you feel like you are walking into a refrigerator when you come into the house.

So far this year, we have turned the fireplace on three or four times for less than thirty minutes.

Our electric bill also includes $4 per month for street lights in our subdivision. Lots of places don't have that.

You do see some homes with gas packs added to their heating system so that you have gas heat in the winter.

Based on our climate I think it is a little of an overkill. We're perfectly happy with the heat pumps. We didn't like them when we lived in Maryland. We could never seem to get warm. We do have gas heat in our Roanoke house as do most homes.

Our house at the coast has a lot of windows on the south side so most days it will warm to 72 degrees or better just from the sun. We do get a lot of sunshine in Cape Carteret. We also get a breeze most days in the summer.

If you scroll down to the weather section of the city data profile for Cape Carteret you will see that over 30% of the days in Dec are clear of clouds.

If you compare that to Easton, Pa which doesn't look too far from you, you will see that Easton only has about 20% of its days clear in Dec.

Another way of looking at that is Cape Carteret has 50% more sunshine and being farther south, it is stronger and provides more heat.

Another way of looking at is Heating Degree Day which measures how much heat you need in a certain area to keep at building at a certain temperature. The bigger the number the more heat you need in an area.

If you look at December for both Cape Carteret and Easton at Heating Degree Days (base 65), the numbers are 175 for Cape Carteret and 534 for Easton. The history numbers come from the closest regional station.

Assuming similarly insulated homes, the heating requirement in the Easton area in December would be three times what it in Cape Carteret.

You can look at the same kind of numbers for cooling.

Good luck with your power. I didn't worry about that very much when we were in Canada as we heated with wood.

We are on our mountain in Roanoke tonight, the wind is also roaring but I think you might have us beat. I haven't seen any reports of gusts over 50 mph. The temperature is still hold at 33 degrees but is expected to drop to the mid twenties by morning.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the warmer temperatures at the coast.

-David

Old 12-19-2007, 12:09 AM

Thank You David.

This time when my wife and I come down, we will have to make sure that you are available whereas last trip, it was short notice on my end. If we could spend a solid week down there, 7 nights, and look at what is in our price range, we will be able to determine if this is going to happen. This will be full time living, not half a year.

I will be in contact at some point. We are packing now, doing all that familiar stuff you were doing back then, and you know how that goes. But, we are only moving 4 miles away so it won't be all that bad.

Actually, I was surprised to see your electric bills in high summer being that high but my neighbors here pay that to cool in Summer. We pay half that, but have a very efficient unit, they have a contractor grade older heat punp.

Well, have a nice Holiday Season and I'll give you a call at some point in the next 2-3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina