U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 AM

22 posts, read 64,052 times

Advertisements

I know there are alot of threads already on this, but I'm just curious about my specific situation.

My sister, her husband, and I are probably moving down to EC at the end of January, specifically in the neighborhood where N Hughes Blvd and W Elizabeth St. intersect. Is this a good area? I've been looking at Google maps and it appears that there is a decent number of restaurants and shopping places within walking distance (I don't drive) and it looks like you can traverse the main city area by foot pretty easily. Are there any decent computer-related jobs down there? I will be commuting with my sister to my web development job in Chesapeake, VA (where I currently live) for a little while but I will want to get something down there eventually. I think this will be hard for me since I doubt I will find anybody down there my age (I'm 22) with the same interests as me (computers, video games, wrestling). It seems like a retirement place of some sort, or maybe I'm just stereotyping. These are just a few issues I have, but I'm looking forward to moving to a new place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,694,136 times
I used to live there. Yes, anywhere between Elizabeth and Ehringhaus Street will be fine. You can walk or bike everywhere. There are plenty of 20-year-olds because College of the Albemarle attracts young adults from Virginia Beach and locally. Also, the Coast Guard base populates town with young men (Seals), too. You could probably get a computer job at the base or at ECSU. Self-defense classes are offered at various locations. You will love the waterfront, the proximity to Nags Head, and the charm of old two-story houses with big porches, if you can find one to live in. Main and Church Streets are beautiful in spring with all the dogwoods.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 AM

75 posts, read 371,511 times
I lived there for a year and ended up heading back north. I found EC very boring and closed-minded. It surprises me you would want to move down there from Chesapeake, as my thoughts have always been I probably could have bared to stay if I had lived up there and commuted to EC even though it's a long, boring drive through the swamp. It was also expensive to rent there. If you dont drive, definitely invest in a bike as I thought the town was a little spread out. There were some young people, but almost exclusively locals. Crime was a problem too, my car was broke into once and a guy attempted to rob me at the Convenient, which can happen anywhere. I just found it odd it happened in a country town of 11,000 and not when I've been in say Philadelphia, DC, Cairo Egypt, or most anyplace else. The other thing that frustrated me was the terrible street flooding when it rained and the city water turned nasty too - sometimes outright brown besides smelling bad. JMO though.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 AM

144 posts, read 608,161 times
Hey Nosebleed, I live in Moyock but am fairly familiar with EC. I like EC in a lot of ways but I am a 42yo. For a 22yo it may not be as nice. The intersection you named is in an area that is not the greatest but certainly not the worst. As far as walking to the stores and the mall you will be a little out of range for those things. We're talking maybe a mile to two miles. If you like to walk a lot it won't be to bad but just to slip out real quick to the store for a soda will be a pain.
There is a laundry mat at that intersection and just down the street a strip club which tells you a little more about the kind of neighborhood although it is one of the better neighborhoods despite having a strip club. There are lots of people your age in the neighborhoods in that area and most of them would have the same interests as you. The suggestion of a bicycle would be a great asset in that area and would make the distances a little more bearable.
Chesapeake is a lot nicer depending on where you live in Chesapeake. EC reminds me a lot of the Deep Creek area of Chesapeake, but Greenbriar/Great Bridge is much nicer.
If I were a 22yo and had a choice of EC or Chesapeake I would probably stay in Chesapeake, but if you have no choice you will probably be okay in EC. Your happiness there will to a large extent be determined by your attitude in going there which so far seems pretty good.
Quote:
These are just a few issues I have, but I'm looking forward to moving to a new place...
I would suggest finding a Church in the area with lots of young people in it as this will help you make friends more readily if Church is an option, if not then, you might want to see about joining the YMCA over there. Anyway, I hope things go well for you.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. This was put on hold for some time, but it looks like it's resurfaced. We might be trying to moving down there again, not sure if it's the same place. I'm hoping it's not in the more rural areas as I'm more of a city guy. I'm not much of a church/religious guy... just my opt, although I may look into the YMCA or some kind of local gatherings I can find. I'm willing to try it out but if it's not to my liking I could move back up to HR. The waterfront/downtown area looked really nice and as long as I can get to places with food, video games, movie theaters (I know there's a really small one there that doesn't put its listings on the internet, very annoying)... I've heard alot about the crime and that seems scary. But I used to live in South Norfolk in Chesapeake, and there were always people getting shot just a few blocks away so I'm used to it. Another thing I require is reliable internet access, and it would also be nice if there was some wifi access in certain buildings / in the city.

I'd like to go back to school and I know there are a couple of colleges down there, I'd like to take classes online though because that's my thing. I also like talking to and meeting people with the same interests as me, and I'd like to be able to meet a nice girl someday... but there just doesn't seem to be alot of people down there

I'd honestly rather move to a BIGGER city sometime in my life, but right now I don't have much choice.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 AM

The theatres in E.C. are pretty lousy. There are two that I know of. One is a cheap theatre which runs fairly recent movies. It's an old theatre that in poor up keep but at least it's cheaper than some of the newer one's in VA. They only run two to three movies per week. There is an older theatre in the center of town even though it's a little more of a historical style theatre which some may like I've not heard good things about it. It doesn't have a large selection of movies either. There's a couple of restaurants near there (within a mile). An old KFC, chinese, Ruby Tuesday, Appleby's, Subway, and a couple others. Video games may be a problem but I'm not really sure. I don't think there are any arcades near there, although there is a bowling alley about 1/2 a mile south on Rt. 17. There are probably some video games there but I've never been in there. Hope all goes well with your move.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Thanks Ebediel... one thing I'm working on lately is getting my license. I think I'm pretty close, but still a long way to go. And then there's the issue of getting a car, and being able to afford the car (payment, gas, insurance, etc.) I may have to get a second job in addition to my full-time job to afford it... But the freedom will be great I guess. And I'd want to drive up to VA on the weekends a lot, or just stay around after work. It's so much to think about! I know at my age I should have it, but I've not needed it with things being so close to me, and also with there being a decent bus system up here.

I did find a couple of video game stores, and there's a Sears, a Wal-Mart, and a GameStop there, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle... couldn't find any arcades though. The whole area seems so behind the times.

I think we also might be moving to a different house than the one I mentioned above... not sure yet, but hopefully it's not too far from the main commerce area.

Not really looking forward to the move though.... I hate moving, even though I don't have a whole lot of stuff to move (and like to keep it that way) it's still a huge pain.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Getting a license would probably be an excellent idea. Especially living down here. Most of the people who live in Pasquotank/Camden/Currituck counties do go to VA when able to do anything of consequence or anything interesting. I'm old enough to care more for the peacefulness and slower pace than the clamor for all that is hot and electronic. I remember when an arcade was the ultimate now a nice quiet lake is preferable.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
Getting a license would probably be an excellent idea. Especially living down here. Most of the people who live in Pasquotank/Camden/Currituck counties do go to VA when able to do anything of consequence or anything interesting. I'm old enough to care more for the peacefulness and slower pace than the clamor for all that is hot and electronic. I remember when an arcade was the ultimate now a nice quiet lake is preferable.
Yeah, I don't mind a nice lake every once in a while (or the beach, I haven't been there in years...) but I'm just a city dude and I love going to downtown Norfolk and walking around the tall buildings and all the people...

The driving issue is really annoying... and I feel like I'm sometimes a burden (or will be even more of one) on people I depend on for a ride to work or whatever. And the very talk of moving has been stressing/depressing me quite a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina