Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM

50 posts, read 129,780 times

Advertisements

This is a great forum and I have learned lots reading about the areas this week. Here is my issue and where I need some assistance

I have lived in Atlanta GA for 10 years and grew up in Vancouver BC. I love the south and the fact that it is sunny almost all year. I do not miss the rainy gloomy winters of Vancouver they lasted November - April (a long time). I do miss the ocean having grown up 20 min. from the beach. What I don't like about Atlanta is that the summer heat and humidity starts in early May and ends in late September. You basically go from air conditioning places to other air conditioning. Having grown up where we were outside all spring and summer I am trying to find somewhere where it is more bearable in the summer. I am not sure if this is possible in NC but I thought maybe it might be a bit better? We don't really get much if any of a spring here it is more summer.

Atlanta also has such bad traffic that unless people live 10 min. or less away from you they won't drive to see you on the weekends. We have lots of friends but never see any of them. I am looking for a more laid back lifestyle where people actually do get together and cook out and see their friends.

So I guess what I am asking is how long does the heat and unbearable summer last?

Are there 3 or 4 seasons?

My husband’s office closed and he works from home. He travels a lot so we would need to be near an airport. From the other posts I read I think we would need to live near Wilmington. Right now we are 60 minutes (40 miles) from the Atlanta airport so anywhere there is 60 min. or less from Wilmington or another airport would be fine.

We have a 6 week old and a 2.5 year old and I want to be able to enjoy being outside with them instead of us saying to our daughter - it's too hot. Schools are also a key issue. In Atlanta every county has pockets of great schools and then the not so great. You have to talk to locals to know which schools are good and which aren’t. I am hoping to narrow down a few areas to come and take a weeklong trip this summer to check them out but wanted to know where to start looking first.

Am I correct with these areas:

Outer Banks – (Northern Outer Banks )Kitty Hawk Bags Hea]
Cape Fear – Wilmington – Carolina Beach – Wrightsville
Crystal coast – (Southern Outer Banks) Atlantic Beach – Beaufort Morehead City

Is that the 3 areas of the coast?

Is there a difference in climate along these 3 areas? I was wondering if the more Northern coast is cooler? Is there an airport that way or would you need to go into Virginia?

Thank you for any and all help with this. My husband suggested living 1-2 hours away from the beach since it might be cooler. But I say if we are starting in a new place again let’s get as close to the beach as we can!

Thank you Kindly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
The cooler weather will last longer closer to the beach. Even now when we are in the 90's, I live in New Bern, Morehead city and areas closeby are in the mid 80's. Outbanks stay cooler longer because it takes the sounds and ocean a long time to really warm up. downside, it is much more expensive to live near the beach. the farther north you get the longer you get cooler weather. the biggest airport nearby for the north is in Norfolk. New Bern and Jacksonville have smaller airports and I am not sure about Wilmington.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:03 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
the biggest airport nearby for the north is in Norfolk. New Bern and Jacksonville have smaller airports and I am not sure about Wilmington.

Wilmington actually has an international airport.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 AM

713 posts, read 3,927,754 times
Smile Some answers to your school and climate questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by roterjo View Post
This is a great forum and I have learned lots reading about the areas this week. Here is my issue and where I need some assistance

Are there 3 or 4 seasons?

My husband’s office closed and he works from home. He travels a lot so we would need to be near an airport. From the other posts I read I think we would need to live near Wilmington. Right now we are 60 minutes (40 miles) from the Atlanta airport so anywhere there is 60 min. or less from Wilmington or another airport would be fine.

We have a 6 week old and a 2.5 year old and I want to be able to enjoy being outside with them instead of us saying to our daughter - it's too hot. Schools are also a key issue. In Atlanta every county has pockets of great schools and then the not so great. You have to talk to locals to know which schools are good and which aren’t. I am hoping to narrow down a few areas to come and take a weeklong trip this summer to check them out but wanted to know where to start looking first.

Am I correct with these areas:

Outer Banks – (Northern Outer Banks )Kitty Hawk Bags Hea]
Cape Fear – Wilmington – Carolina Beach – Wrightsville
Crystal coast – (Southern Outer Banks) Atlantic Beach – Beaufort Morehead City

Is that the 3 areas of the coast?

Is there a difference in climate along these 3 areas? I was wondering if the more Northern coast is cooler? Is there an airport that way or would you need to go into Virginia?

Thank you for any and all help with this. My husband suggested living 1-2 hours away from the beach since it might be cooler. But I say if we are starting in a new place again let’s get as close to the beach as we can!

Thank you Kindly
As long as you don't mind puddle jumpers or regional jets there are also airports in Jacksonville and New Bern.

Carteret County schools are ranked highly in NC.

The one area that I saw missing in your list is probably Hamstead. It probably deserves a look, but that's not my area so I can't comment on schools.

Make sure you don't forget about the stretch of the Crystal Coast that runs west from Morehead down to Cape Carteret and Cedar Point.

It is my favorite section.

Climate is very complex along the coast.

I lived in Canada for many years so I only believe we have three seasons. Those who lived in Florida think we have four seasons.

In general the coastal areas warm up more slowly than the inland areas in the spring and we cool down more slowly in the fall. We also have much warmer winters.

Having said that where you live on the coast and how your home is situated in relation to the sun and water make a huge difference.

We are on the water tucked in a small subdivision that is 3.5 miles by water from the Intracoastal and a total of about 5.5 miles from the ocean as a crow flies.

Our home has a lot of south facing windows so in the winter we make very minimal use of heat. A lot of mornings all we need are a few minutes of the gas logs to take the chill off.

As some of the other writers said, temperatures and breezes are much better closer to the water. Last year we slept with our windows open pretty well from April through June. This year the early heat cut us off a few days into June.

I think the highest true temperature that I have seen at our home is 96. I saw that for the first time during this record breaking early heat this June. Last year we didn't get above 93. However, we can be very humid.

Still the weather for vast majority of the summer is pretty nice early in the morning until 10 or 11 am and after 4 pm. Usually you have coastal breezes to help with the heat. Being near the water makes the climate nearly perfect for my tastes.

We also get more breaks from the heat because of the water and winds. In general, you might get a hot spell that last five or six days. Then you just get in the water.

The areas like Emerald Isle, Pine Knoll Shores, and Atlantic Beach warm up much more slowly in the spring because of the water. When we are looking at houses in the spring over on the shore there can be be 10-15 degrees difference from just a few miles inland.

Fall can be magnificient.

Actually living one to two hours from the beach will make your existence much hotter and much colder.

A good example is last week when we left Cape Carteret. (buried under all the icons) and drove inland. I went and gassed up in Emerald Isle and it was 91 degrees. When I got back to our home about six miles from the beach it was 92 degrees.

When we got to Jacksonville it was 96 degrees and by the time we got to Raleigh it was 98 degrees. Last summer I can remember leaving home with the temperature at 91 and seeing it rise to over 100 degrees by the time we got to Raleigh 2.5 hours inland. We make that trip about once a month and have come to expect that temperature change during the summer.

In the winter the temperature change can be even more dramatic.

Our other home is in Roanoke, Va and you can read this post on traveling to the coast to see some of the temperature changes we see in the winter.

As to enjoying the outside with your children, I think you will find the climate back just a few miles from the coast very hospitable to kids.

Our neighbors have grandchildren almost identical to the ages of yours. They are outside a lot. In the evenings we see lots of folks walking with their kids. The swimming pool in our subdivision is popular during the late mornings and afternoon with the kids, but I often see kids riding their bikes in the evening or walking with their parents.

We're a small gated community so traffic isn't a problem.

I often get up ride laps on my bike for three miles down along the water. Sometimes I'll then swim some laps in the pool and then get in the kayak and paddle for half an hour or so.

Heat usually isn't the reason I usually try to finish before 10 or 11. It is because the kids getting to the pool around that time make it hard to swim laps.

As to being an area where people get together and have fun, that is one of the reasons that we live on the Crystal Coast. People are here year round and they love to get together. The outdoor festival season starts with the Saint Patrick's Day Festival in Emerald Isle and really doesn't wind down until the Christmas Flotillas.

Our subdivision has an Easter Egg hunt, a Memorial Day party, a fourth of Jully parade and celebration, a Halloween party, and a holiday party.

Part of the pictures in the 4th of July slide show are from Haywood Landing far up in the Croatan National on the upper reaches of the White Oak River.

We just had the Swansboro Arts Festival. Next will be the fireworks celebrations and then the church Lobster suppers and the Mullet Festival.

I think one of the events that I enjoy the most is the old fashioned Christmas Parade on Emerald Isle.

You can get a good idea of the seasons by scrolling through my diary of our first year along the coast. It even has a picture of ice along the gut behind our home.

That is the closest we got to winter.

If I missed anything, let me know and I will try to answer.

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-28-2008 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Left out link

Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
wilmington does have an international airport, but it has very few direct flights anywhere. you usually have to go through atlanta or another hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Wilmington actually has an international airport.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 PM

36 posts, read 136,493 times
Roterjo-I can see why you would like to join us in coastal NC and leave the big city behind. The living and driving is definitely easier in our area of NC.

dsobotta is definitely a great person to speak on coastal NC and I bet a great realtor as well. The area dsobotta speaks of is north of where we reside. I do enjoy all ofdsobotta's posts, especially the pictures!

We are on the coast between towns of Jacksonville and Wilmington. My husband is a realtor on Topsail Island and Hampstead, Sneads Ferry area as well.
I love the area we live in for its simplicity and family orientation. Having grown up in Durham, NC, I know what it is like to live in a big city. Highway 17 is the major 4-lane that takes you north to Jacksonville in 30 minutes and south to Wilmington in 30 minutes. Airport in Wilmington has several direct flights daily and otherwise one stop between your destinations. Jacksonville also has an airport with jet service but I have never flown from there.

If you are on your own with the kids, I really think you would like the serenity and security of our area. Any of the schools in Pender with Topsail in the name are the best in the county. As in Atlanta, our schools also vary with the area. If you want more info about this section, let me know!

Good luck on your search! Check out the links I am attaching for you.

WELCOME TO HAMPSTEAD

Town of Surf City check out the links area for more info

NC School Report Cards

Old 06-29-2008, 07:57 AM

486 posts, read 1,896,440 times
I know I'm not a NC native, but my aunt lives part time in Frisco (Cape Hatteras) for about 2 months out of the year and the rest of the time in Wilson, NC (like 40 min. east of Raleigh). I'm not familiar with Wilmington or the Crystal Coast, just Hatteras/ Ocracoke Islands. Norfolk airport is about 3 hours away, Raleigh/ Durham is closer to 4 hours. I'm not quite sure how the C.H. School ranks compared to other NC schools, but they just completed a massive renovation- it looks great now. I tend to fly out to C.H. in July and leave in August and temps usually are in the mid 80's to low 90's. It's never unbearable, at least in my experience. There's great seafood and local fare on the two islands, particularly Hatteras AND NO CHAINS!!!!(except for Bubba's BBQ and Bubba's BBQ 2 located in Frisco and Avon) Avon and Hatt. Village are the two "major shopping and dining centers" of Hatteras. My only problem with it is being so far from a large city. Since that's exactly what you're looking for- go for it! Coastal NC is great!

photo archive 4 This site has great aerial pictures of Hatteras Island.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 AM

50 posts, read 129,780 times
Thank you everyone for your great info. We open our windows in April and October and never in between these months. There is no breeze in the evenings once the summer heat hits which is typically in May.

I am optimistic about NC from what all I have read so far. I can handle the heat for a few months but thought why not move to where it cools off in the evenings and mornings. Plus I crave to be closer to the beach.

I think we would need to live somewhere near Wilmington since my Husband travels 2-4 times a month. David - thanks for all your info and Carteret County sounds beautiful but I think too far from the airport since his job is about 40 % travel. I looked at lots of your sites and your info and photos are great.

I will continue to check out the areas within a 30-45 min radius of Wilmington and try to narrow down a few places to visit.

This is a great forum Thank you

Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,303 times
Hi roterjo. Yes, your best coastal bet (airport wise) is Wilmington. My husband and I have lived here about 13 years. He also travels A LOT for business (his job is about 85% travel). Flying in and out of the airport is really a piece of cake but a previous post is correct that they have VERY few direct flights. My husband is usually sent to Charlotte or Atlanta before getting where he is supposed to go. It's not really a big deal to him but just make sure your husband is aware. We live in the Ogden area of Wilmington and the aiport is about 15 minutes away.

Schools in the area, I would suggest checking out the website, greatschools.net. We don't have kids yet but from what I hear the schools aren't great but they aren't terrible either.

Raleigh would be a good option if you don't mind being 2 hours from the coast and the RDU airport is a large airport.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 24,976 times
Default wilmywood

Wilmington is a great option for you. We do have 4 seasons and spring and fall are the most awesome times of the year. The airport can get you anywhere but with connections in Atlanta(Delta) or Charlotte(US Air) or a drive on up to Raleigh for a cheaper option. Wilmington is a film mecca for the east coast as many movies and TV series have or do shoot here. The ocean helps to keep the weather moderate from the inland areas. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter by nearly 10 degrees. We also live in the Ogden (northern) area of Wilmington in the very nice Middle Sound area. Close to the ocean and the best shopping and theaters in the city.
We are putting our really cute cottage style home on a very quiet cul de sac on the market so contact us if you are thinking of a move. This could be perfect for you. Darrell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina