Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times

Advertisements

BUMP this thread, to show how stupid these CNN Money and Forbes articles are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,163 times
A few quick facts about North Carolina.

Tourism
".........tourism activity directly and indirectly generated GDP of $16.9 billion. This is 4.2% of the state economy."
http://www.nccommerce.com/NR/rdonlyres/E584EB45-077B-40F9-89ED-DC3913A3817E/0/2008TSA.pdf (broken link)

Tobacco
North Carolina's tobacco economic impact is over $7.0 billion.
NCDA&CS - Marketing Division
North Carolina Dept. of Agriculture

By the way-The original post was from three years ago. Reaal estate has changed dramatically during that time period.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
By the way-The original post was from three years ago. Reaal estate has changed dramatically during that time period.
That was my purpose of bumping this thread- to show how accurately these mainstream publications can predict the future.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM

116 posts, read 532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
That was my purpose of bumping this thread- to show how accurately these mainstream publications can predict the future.
Everything posted seemed fairly factual to me, including the cautionary note. Unfortunately, Wilmington like every single city in the USA took a real estate hit. That shouldn't take away from their underlying point.

["Nestled between the Cape Fear River and North Carolina's Inner Bank beaches, Wilmington has great golf, mild weather, natural beauty, and a relatively cheap cost of living, all of which make it popular with both permanent residents and second-home vacationers.

But it hasn't always been this way. It was an isolated backwater until 1990, when the final 120-mile stretch of I-40 opened. Now the Research Triangle's well-heeled tech workers can be at the beach in three hours.

As the only city of any significant size on the North Carolina coast, Wilmington may be just at the beginning of its boom. It has a seaport, an international airport, and a UNC campus. But it has also maintained its "historic" ambience, bringing it another revenue stream: Hollywood has filmed 180 features here during the past two decades.

CAUTION: Wilmington has seen a high proportion of speculators invade the region in recent years. Barron's estimated last year that 38 percent of its homeowners are nonresident investors who use their properties only occasionally, if at all. One other word of warning: hurricanes.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/21309-wilmington-top-10-where-buy-now.html#ixzz0Tq9229Ow "]

Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
Everything posted seemed fairly factual to me, including the cautionary note. Unfortunately, Wilmington like every single city in the USA took a real estate hit. That shouldn't take away from their underlying point.
What was their underlying point? It looks to me like they were saying Wilmington would appreciate in value between 2006-2011. They went so far as to claim 7% per year, and that the median would rise to $297,000 from $217k.

In my book that's pretty bold to claim that the median price would rise from $130,000 in 2002, to $297,000 in 2011.

As it is, Wilmington real estate has fallen steadily since 2006, and currently has a median of $185,000. Hopefully no one listened to CNN Money's opinion on the direction of the market in 2006.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM

169 posts, read 583,018 times
Default Did you have someone in mind

Was there someone who did accurately predict the future of the housing market ??? Don't get your point, I sold my house in Jersey in 2004 for a fortune. I had no reason to believe I was selling near the top of the market. I built my home in St. James just before the bubble burst. No one forsaw this problem or its consequences, not my broker, not my bank, not the analysts and certainly not the financial news reporters. Nearly everyone was wrong. Right?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
Don't get your point
My point is that people should not listen to CNN Money for predictions on the housing market.

Quote:
No one forsaw this problem or its consequences, not my broker, not my bank, not the analysts and certainly not the financial news reporters. Nearly everyone was wrong. Right?
Sounds like you had some low-quality advice. Of those groups, analysts are the only ones whose predictions I take seriously, and even then you have to recognize their limitations and biases. Every investment is anchored by fundamentals; that is not complicated. If I could see that as a college student, surely adults across America should've been capable of seeing it.

Many people saw this coming, and few listened to those people, but that is neither here nor there.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM

116 posts, read 532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Every investment is anchored by fundamentals; that is not complicated. If I could see that as a college student, surely adults across America should've been capable of seeing it.
Ahhh, so the point of the ancient post bump was so you could now say "I told you so."

Very good.

Have you started sounding the alarm about the gold bubble?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
Ahhh, so the point of the ancient post bump was so you could now say "I told you so."
If you can't read what I just wrote in plain English, I'm not going to spell it out for you any further.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,163 times
rubber_factory said, "That was my purpose of bumping this thread- to show how accurately these mainstream publications can predict the future."

But did anyone listen when I was accurately describing the present?

Dec. 2006: "Wilmington is the most expensive place to live in all of NC! Average home costs are somewhere around $325K!"
NC Land, why is some so cheap?

Dec. 21, 2006: "Emerald Isle is one of the most expensive places along the NC Coast- taking a back seat to Wilmington-That's the most expensive place to live in in the state!!"
Bayboro area-looking for info on availability of marinas, homes close to the water

Dec. 15, 2006: "New Hanover County is wrapping up the process of re-evaluating property values. Experts say some areas could see huge increases, which means higher taxes."
Will I like Wilmington/wrightsville Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina