U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,114,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trom View Post
It was mentioned that Wilmington, N.C. is subjected to hurricanes. Is there any area along the coast that is not? What about Southport or Carolina Beach, are they subjected to hurricanes as well?
Also, can anyone recommend a coastal community, or a community relatively close to the coast that housing is reasonable and is not subjected to hurricanes.
Washington state, Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM

915 posts, read 2,311,245 times
I lived in Carolina Beach from 1997 - 2000 and had to evacuate 5 times due to hurricanes. Nowhere down there is immune. They may go years between them, and then they may have a run of them like they did when I lived there.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:34 AM

122 posts, read 449,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
They make no mention of the lack of well paying jobs in Wilmington or the traffic nightmare already in place which will just get worse. It's not all wonderful believe me. My parents live in an excellent neighborhood on the north end of Carolina Beach with a dock in the back right into the intercoastal waterway, and homes have been for sale next door to theirs and down the block for two years. Now they're getting ready to put theirs on the market, and it's just not going to sell unless they are willing to take much less money.
I get the general feeling that the majority of North Carolinians are not in favor of change and growth. I'll attempt to provide a positive spin on this situation. It is my observation that an influx of new residents can turn out to be a good thing. In California we tend to complain about how many people have migrated here from all over the country and outside the country but the upside is we have a very good economy. There is a wide range of businesses here as well. From what I understand in NC the primary industries are/were furniture making and the tobacco industries and both are diverting their business to foreign markets leaving a huge hole in the job market. The new residents will most likely bring with them a new set of skills and industry will follow where the talent is. North Carolinians would be wise to embrace this renewal, educate their children to compete in these new employment markets. Otherwise the children of NC will one day have to move out of the state to find employment.

Last edited by NCBOUND123; 10-27-2006 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-27-2006, 02:46 PM

890 posts, read 3,966,152 times
Ha, well it figures, I lived there for 11 years and home appreciation was jack squat. Where I live now has appreciated more in 3 years than the 11 in Wilmington. Personally I have my suspicions about that article. Wilmington is overdeveloped already and has been for a while. I guess they don't seem to think so though by the way they keep building. Won't be happy until the entire town is complete concrete. It's almost that way now. Now they're kicking senior citizens out of their high rise homes because they have too good a view of the river. Pricey condo's are more important. All in the name of greed.

As far as being "discovered", it's too late, every other car there has either a New York or a New Jersey plate.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:08 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times
ncbound123, I don't totally agree. If any state is welcoming to newcomers, it's NC. We're not worried about "change or growth" as much as it happening at such a rate, we loose what's made us such an attractive place to live in the first place (open areas, affordable, ect). CA is a perfect example of a place pricing it's residents and companies out of the state. The primary industries in NC that's driving this economy that's attracting so many here is not textiles/tobacco. It's finance, biothech, electronics, R&D, and a myriad of other, very diverse industries. Please don't buy into old stereotypes. I've been in NC all of my life (41 years), and it's always been a wonderful place to live and it'll be enhanced with our newcomers. But out-of-control growth will only leave us where other places are now; over-grown, over-taxed, and over-priced. THOSE are the concerns. Don't confuse this valid concern with fear of outsiders moving in or "change". It's a bit of an unfair generalization. We welcome our new neighbors!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 PM

915 posts, read 2,311,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
ncbound123, I don't totally agree. If any state is welcoming to newcomers, it's NC. We're not worried about "change or growth" as much as it happening at such a rate, we loose what's made us such an attractive place to live in the first place (open areas, affordable, ect). CA is a perfect example of a place pricing it's residents and companies out of the state. The primary industries in NC that's driving this economy that's attracting so many here is not textiles/tobacco. It's finance, biothech, electronics, R&D, and a myriad of other, very diverse industries. Please don't buy into old stereotypes. I've been in NC all of my life (41 years), and it's always been a wonderful place to live and it'll be enhanced with our newcomers. But out-of-control growth will only leave us where other places are now; over-grown, over-taxed, and over-priced. THOSE are the concerns. Don't confuse this valid concern with fear of outsiders moving in or "change". It's a bit of an unfair generalization. We welcome our new neighbors!!!

I agree...when I make a post pointing out possible negatives to areas, it's not to keep people out, it's to warn them of what they are getting into. If I see someone who is a longtime network analyst ready to up and move from let's say San Francisco to Wilmington, and he or she thinks he'll find a comparable job in Wilmington, I merely point out the fact that those jobs are not common in Wilmington at all, nor will they pay nearly what they would pay out there. Same goes for traffic. There is no more room to build roads within the city. It's already completely developed. They can build all the loop freeways around town they want to, but that's not gonna get you from Castle Hayne to Kure Beach any quicker. I think most people pointing out negatives do it not to keep people out, but instead, to let them know that it's not all wine and roses.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:56 PM

212 posts, read 988,929 times
On a side note, tobacco is and is likely to remain HUGE business in NC. The end of the quota/stabilization era and the rise of contract farming put Carolina leaf on the world market at very competitive prices. Carolinians grow and market tobacco as well as or better than anyone on the planet.
For instance there is 100% more tobacco grown in Wilson Co. today than just 10 years ago.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:01 AM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times
Wilmington may as well have a bull's eye mark on it. From 1996-1999, we and it were hit 6 times from Bertha and Fran in 1996, Bonnie in 1998, Dennis got us twice, once as a hurricane and then as a tropical storm two weeks later and finally Floyd. And I know that isn't near all of them. Wilmington and the beaches looked like a war zone after Floyd and Fran.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM

480 posts, read 2,644,925 times
$38,300 by 2011? Forgetaboutit.

My cat was making that much in 1992.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:47 PM

110 posts, read 415,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Washington state, Oregon
I believe the poster asked for a coastal area with reasonable housing - that would exclude Washington and Oregon! (at least in comparison with NC prices)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or