U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 04:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,464 times

Advertisements

I went to my vet to pick up a tube of CatLax which is a hairball remedy. I was told the cat needed a rabies shot in order to get the CatLax! They previously treated the cat and told me the throwing up was due to hairballs, no fever, no blood work. So, when I mentioned that they had not told me that when I brought the cat in, they told me it was NC regulation that animals must have a rabies shot before giving me the CatLax! My cat got a rabies shot before we left California four years ago because I was transporting him across state lines. The cat never does and never has gone outside and is not exposed to any other animals besides my other cats who also never go outside!

I had my dog vaccinated because I walked her and she stayed outside sometimes during the day, but never my cats because there is not need.

Is this a "regulation" or a pile of dog poop, because I smell a rat. I can buy the stuff online so it is not a prescription (which is what I have done as of yesterday) but I was almost out and needed a new tube to keep him from throwing up three or four times a day (hypergroomer, always has been).

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 PM

312 posts, read 625,746 times
I know dogs have to have a rabies shot I think every 2 or 3 years....I am sorry I cannot remember exactly in North Carolina but never heard of cats....if renting here, I know that they ask for records regardless of being a cat or dog....I would check with another vet....good luck!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:47 AM

15,119 posts, read 19,102,507 times
The vet is correct- NC law requires all owned dogs, cats and ferrets to be vaccinated.

NC DPH: Rabies Control in North Carolina

Get it done while the cat is healthy rather than waiting until she us sick and HAS to go to the vet, who will HAVE to vaccinate her before treatment. Please be a responsible pet owner.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,887,655 times
Our longhair cat used to respond well to Petromalt which is available over the counter. Various online pet supply places offer it for $3.99-$4.99. I'd recommend the original formula.

No rabies shot required to buy.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,052,304 times
It only takes one accidental exposure to rabies for your cat to get them. Our cat is also an inside cat but he's going to the vet in 2 weeks for his scheduled rabies shot in addition to feline distemper and whatever else he needs.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,464 times
Default How dare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The vet is correct- NC law requires all owned dogs, cats and ferrets to be vaccinated.

NC DPH: Rabies Control in North Carolina

Get it done while the cat is healthy rather than waiting until she us sick and HAS to go to the vet, who will HAVE to vaccinate her before treatment. Please be a responsible pet owner.
First off, jkourmet, you are wrong, the vet did not vaccinate the cat before treating it. The cat is in a carrier while at the vet and cannot be exposed to rabies at the vet unless people here do not understand how rabies is transmitted.

I AM A RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER. MY CAT NEVER GOES OUTSIDE, HE IS OVER 10 YEARS OLD AND HAS NEVER HAD A HEALTH ISSUE. IT IS EASY FOR YOU TO BE AN A**HAT ON LINE ISN'T IT. YOU DON'T KNOW ME NOR DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I HAVE OWNED PETS OR HOW "RESPONSIBLE" I AM. HOW DARE YOU ASSUME! YOU REALIZE THAT TO ASSUME MAKES AND ASS OUT OF U AND ME.

IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF GALL TO ACCUSE ME OF BEING IRRESPONSIBLE.

I owned a farm for 20 years with sheep, chickens and cattle, never have I ever been irresponsible with my animals....

Last edited by kmmp; 06-18-2014 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: forgot person's name

Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 AM

11,292 posts, read 19,859,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmp View Post
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF GALL TO ACCUSE ME OF BEING IRRESPONSIBLE.
I realize the poster is a newbie, but he is really over-reacting to a few words. It is neither necessary nor tactful to respond to a post which makes one angry. Just let it go.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 AM

15,119 posts, read 19,102,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It is neither necessary nor tactful to respond to a post which makes one angry. Just let it go.
I intend to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or