U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM

44 posts, read 76,927 times

Advertisements

The title of my post pretty much sums up my question.
My husband and I are a caucasian couple from California, thinking about signing up with an adoption agency in Wilmington , NC. We would like to adopt an African America or Biracial baby. Would African American mothers from this area be interested in placing their baby with a couple like us? Id really appreciate any responses from Wilmington natives, especially African Americans for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
I have no idea of what the answer to your question is, but I'm betting that I'm not the only one reading your post and wondering this:

Why not just sign up with adoption agencies in California? Or, at least, someplace closer to home? Is there something magical about getting a baby from Wilmington, NC that I'm unaware of?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:27 PM

269 posts, read 332,477 times
Wait, what? You do know that there's no one person who can speak for all black mothers-to-be, right? I'm sure some would, some wouldn't.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,381,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I have no idea of what the answer to your question is, but I'm betting that I'm not the only one reading your post and wondering this:

Why not just sign up with adoption agencies in California? Or, at least, someplace closer to home? Is there something magical about getting a baby from Wilmington, NC that I'm unaware of?
I agree, this is a very strange post and I question the motive of the OP. If it really were about providing a better home for a child why would the race matter?

Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 AM

Thankyou for the responses! I really appreciate being challenged.

I know its a strange question to ask especially on this site! The reason we were thinking African American is because there are less families willing to adopt AA as their top choice (mostly due to shortage of AA adoptive families). We started off wanting to adopt from Haiti or Ethiopia, but a comment had stood out to me while investigating "white people are all about adopting from all these exotic foreign countries, but they some how fail to realize that once these kids are in the US they become African American." : p I guess this really stood out to me and caused me to start researching domestic adopion. The reason, NC is because we lived in Greensboro for a year and a half, so we wouldn't mind visiting the state. Also, the agencies are much cheaper there! CA agencies are very expensive and super competitive just like everything else in this state. Its not that we wouldn't be open to any race, in our research there seemed to be more of a "need" for AA.

But your questions are making me think! Maybe we should just be open to any race and see what happens. Having to go into a long explanation just doesn't seem right haha. Maybe I need to do some more soul searching because really, race doesn't matter to us, we just wanted to adopt where there was more need.

I appreciate any additional feedback!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Wait, what? You do know that there's no one person who can speak for all black mothers-to-be, right? I'm sure some would, some wouldn't.
This is probably the answer I was looking for.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,618,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansa55 View Post
We would like to adopt an African America or Biracial baby. Would African American mothers from this area be interested in placing their baby with a couple like us?
If you include bi-racial children, you could find the child of a white mother and a black father. So you should also ask about the attitudes of the white mother about a California couple. I have no way to generalize. If I were an expectant mother, I would just ask if you were good people and whether your values corresponded with mine. I'd ask whether your home in California is a good place for a child.

So, why not just talk to the adoption agency you are interested in? I don't see any potential problems.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you include bi-racial children, you could find the child of a white mother and a black father. So you should also ask about the attitudes of the white mother about a California couple. I have no way to generalize. If I were an expectant mother, I would just ask if you were good people and whether your values corresponded with mine. I'd ask whether your home in California is a good place for a child.

So, why not just talk to the adoption agency you are interested in? I don't see any potential problems.
That is true. Thankyou....

Yeah I am probably just overthinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or