Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 05:02 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times

Advertisements

Like a petulant child, Bevan Foster walked out of the city council's meeting last night.

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Councilman storms out

Quote:
Councilman Bevan Foster walked out of a council meeting Monday after disagreeing with members of the council on the mayor's voting power, legal representation and a new commercial stormwater fee.

The council learned that it can change the city charter to lessen the voting power of the mayor through a series of steps, including holding a public hearing. Foster recently asked that the mayor's voting ability be limited to only voting when the council is locked in a tie vote.

Councilman Bill Broadaway said he learned that the city changed its charter in the 1980s during a time when former Mayor Hal Plonk wanted to vote, in an effort to show his stance on city issues.

Councilman David Ham said he supports the mayor's current role of voting on all issues.

"My feelings are the public voted for the mayor ... they voted with the expectation that the mayor would act on behalf of them and the best reasonable way that he could," Ham said.

Councilman Antonio Williams disagreed and said the public would know the mayor's views when he votes to break a tie.

"Our mayor is still going to be our mayor," Williams said. "He's not going to lose that right to vote."

Councilman Mark Stevens asked why the council needed to change the role of the mayor.

"Sometimes, we need to make changes to come to current standards," Foster said. "I think we're so afraid of change half the time. It doesn't make sense."

The council voted 5-2 to not make any changes to the mayor's role, which allows him to vote on all city matters.

The strongest disagreement from Foster came during a discussion about charging non-residential property owners a new stormwater fee.

Foster opposed a recommended declining fee structure for commercial properties, saying non-residential property owners should have to pay at a level comparable to residential property owners.

Residential stormwater fees for property owners started in July at a cost of $4.50 per month.

Non-residential property owners, including Wayne Community College and Berkeley Mall, have a greater area of impervious surface, which generates more stormwater. The larger properties are charged a higher monthly fee, which will result in a monthly fee of $671 for the college.

The declining fee structure involves charging a base fee, with a reducing cost based on the total amount of impervious surface.

"Why should a business get a break when our residents don't?" Foster said.

City Manager Scott Stevens told the council that residential water and electric customers pay a higher base cost for utilities but larger businesses pay a lower rate because of using more utilities. The stormwater fee structure is based on the same concept.

"We're trying to be fair and equitable across the board," said Rick Fletcher, Goldsboro public works director.

Foster said businesses are making money and should be able to foot the bill.

"I don't see where this is unfair to anyone," Councilman Gene Aycock said.

Broadaway said he is concerned about having the fees set at a higher rate. Foster recommended, in early December, that non-residential property owners be charged a higher rate than the declining fees recommended by the city's public works director.

"We've got to be competitive in trying to recruit businesses in," Broadaway said.

Foster said the city is competitive, since other cities already have stormwater fees in place.

Mayor Chuck Allen shared concern about how the fees will affect businesses in Goldsboro.

"All these businesses hire thousands of people in the city," Allen said.

After a lengthy, back-and-forth discussion with Fletcher, Foster asked that the council delay its decision until more information is provided. The council has discussed the new stormwater fees for more than a year.

The motion failed in a 2-5 vote, with Williams and Foster voting for the delay.

Foster also suggested that the commercial fees be retroactive, since residential property owners have been paying stormwater fees since July. No vote was taken on the proposal.

Ham made a motion to approve Fletcher's original declining stormwater fee structure, which passed in a 5-2 vote, with Foster and Williams voting in opposition.

After the vote, Foster walked out of the meeting and did not return for the council's regular 7 p.m. meeting.

During the work session, the council also voted 5-2 in favor of a 12-month contract with attorney Ronald Lawrence. Foster and Williams voted in opposition.

Lawrence will work as the city attorney, for $150 per hour. The city's attorney for the past 10 years, James Womble, with the Everett, Womble and Lawrence law firm, will step down from his role on Dec. 31.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 AM

More details of the city council's dysfunctional meeting last Monday.

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Council bickers over attorney

Quote:
The Goldsboro City Council clashed Monday night with Councilman Bevan Foster telling Mayor Chuck Allen he overstepped his authority during a discussion about the city attorney.

Councilman Antonio Williams also told Councilman David Ham and Councilman Bill Broadaway they couldn't vote on a contract for legal services due to their friendship with the city attorney.

The council was presented with a one-year contract for legal services with attorney Ronald Lawrence, effective Jan. 1, during a Monday work session.

The contract was presented following a decision by attorney James Womble to retire from his role in representing the city on Dec. 31.

Allen said the contract was needed to secure legal representation after the first of the year. The contract allows termination by either party, with a 90-day notice, and pays Lawrence $150 per hour.

Womble and Lawrence both work in the Everett, Womble and Lawrence law firm, which has provided legal representation for the city since the 1970s, Womble said.

OPPOSING VIEWS

Foster and Williams spoke in opposition to the contract, with Foster saying attorney Justin Minshew, within the same law firm, is a better fit because of his expertise with municipal law. Williams said he wanted the position advertised, with other attorneys having a shot at the job.

"The issue that I have is we need a fresh set of eyes," Williams said. "I have a problem with us not letting other attorneys come in and get an opportunity to bid this particular job."

Allen said the city could seek other representation, after approving the contract, if the council decided to go another route.

"Ron has more practical experience," Allen said. "You're hiring the whole firm so I'm not real sure what your point (is). That firm has a deep niche, just all across the spectrum (and is) what we need."

At one point, Allen looked at Broadaway and suggested he make a motion, which led to backlash from Foster.

"That's not proper," Foster said. "That's not proper for a mayor to be doing and -- see -- that's part of the problem of why you shouldn't be voting because of stuff like that. So, that just shows how you really are."

"That's your opinion," Allen replied. "I don't know why we're discussing this anymore."

Foster's comments were related to his opposition to the mayor being a voting member of the council, a role Foster asked be changed. Earlier during the work session, the council voted 5-2 to allow the mayor to remain a voting member of the council. Foster and Williams voted in opposition.

'GOING AROUND THE TREE'

Foster also asked if it was even necessary to have a contract.

"Quit going around the tree," Broadaway said.

In years past, the city has not contracted with an attorney but regularly appointed an attorney to represent the board, as required by law, said Scott Stevens, city manager.

Before a motion was made to vote on the contract, Williams questioned the relationship of Broadaway and Ham with Womble.

"Before you make a motion, I just want clarity from Councilman Ham and Councilman Broadaway," Williams said. "Do you have a friendship with attorney Womble? Because if you do, then you can't vote on this issue. You have to recuse yourself.

Broadaway said he is friends with a "bunch of lawyers in town."

"That's an extraneous argument," Broadaway said.

Ham said he is friends with Womble.

Councilman Mark Stevens said he's also friends with Womble, as well as other attorneys and questioned why his relationship wasn't challenged.

"I don't have to recuse myself because I'm friends with Mr. Womble and ... several others?" Stevens said. "OK, I'm not friends with nobody. I'm a joke, really? What else am I?"

Stevens ended the discussion.

"I make a motion that we make Mr. Lawrence the city attorney," Stevens said.

On Tuesday, Womble said Broadaway and Ham did not need to recuse themselves from the vote, since neither had a conflict of interest that would result in either profiting financially from the decision. Womble said he's known the two councilmen for years and has more of a professional relationship with other members of the council.

"I've been friends with Bill Broadaway and David Ham for many years, back before they even thought of running for office," Womble said. "They're members of my church. I've known both of them a long time."

Council members need to recuse themselves from a vote if the matter being voted on provides a financial benefit to the council member or a member of their family, Womble said.

Womble also said the mayor has the same ability to make a motion or suggest a motion, just like any other member of the council, according to the city's charter.

BUSINESS DECISIONS

During the council's Monday meeting, other decisions include:

* Establishing a capital project fund ordinance for a $6.2 million Clean Water State Revolving loan to pay for phase four of the city's sewer collection rehabilitation project.

* Paying an additional $41,200 to Ferguson Waterworks for 200 larger water meter boxes for commercial locations, as part of a citywide $4.7 million water meter replacement project.

* Increasing the city workforce to 459 employees by adding a full-time public information officer.

* Increasing the number of days off for Christmas from two to three for city employees.
The city posted a video of the meeting for those that want something to watch while eating popcorn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aw5LigLNieY

Old 12-20-2017, 06:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,901 times
This just keeps getting better and better LM! Maybe I need to start watching these council meetings online!

I kinda get what the beef is with a mayor voting on issues. But on the other hand, is it really going to matter if a motion or issue passes 4-2 vs. 5-2? Or 4-3 vs. 3-3 + Mayor's tie-breaking vote?

Seems like half the council needs to go and some fresh faces need to come in. Too much entitlement and "power" being thrown around for such a small city, IMO.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
This just keeps getting better and better LM! Maybe I need to start watching these council meetings online!

I kinda get what the beef is with a mayor voting on issues. But on the other hand, is it really going to matter if a motion or issue passes 4-2 vs. 5-2? Or 4-3 vs. 3-3 + Mayor's tie-breaking vote?

Seems like half the council needs to go and some fresh faces need to come in. Too much entitlement and "power" being thrown around for such a small city, IMO.
I agree. It's embarrassing as hell. It's nearly impossible trying to get anything done when the feud between Foster and Allen always takes center stage. As I mentioned before, Foster has hated Allen ever since the council voted against Foster's request to fire the city manager earlier this year.

I think Allen gets in over his head sometimes, but I don't think he's a bad guy. Foster might've made a good point here and there, but he has a really bad attitude and the way he deals with and talks to people is terrible. He needs to be the first to go, IMO.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:28 AM

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Goldsboro officials work to pave dirt roads

Quote:
Two dirt road paths on Oak Hill Drive and Chestnut Street will be paved in 2018, as Goldsboro officials continue to work toward paving dirt streets in the city.

Based on a list of high priority areas, the council recently selected one block of Oak Hill Drive, from Green Drive to North Berkeley Boulevard, and one block of Chestnut Street, from South Slocumb to South Leslie Street.

The new street construction is estimated to cost $455,000, which would be paid for through the city's general fund, said Kaye Scott, Goldsboro finance director.

The project is planned to take place after the start of the city's 2018-19 fiscal year, which starts in July, said Marty Anderson, Goldsboro chief city engineer.

The two blocks were selected from a priority list of more than 50 dirt streets. Four road sections, including Oak Hill Drive and Chestnut Street, are ranked as high priority by the city. A section of Bain Street, near Royall Avenue, and Slocumb Street, near Simmons Street, are also considered high priority areas for future road construction.

The two blocks that were selected are in residential areas with high road usage and maintenance required.

"We prioritized them on how much maintenance we had to put into them," Anderson said.

There are seven medium priority streets and more than 40 low priority roads. Medium priority roads include sections along Branch, Carolina, Crepe Myrtle and Olive Streets.

The construction of roads on dirt streets started this year, under a near $490,000 contract, and included paving Humphrey Street, from Fourth to Eighth streets, and Dakota Street, from Aycock to Fourth streets.

The council will consider other dirt roads for pavement in an annual basis, Anderson said.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:04 PM

50 posts, read 136,154 times
What’s going in the old save a lot store? I seen construction on.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcityboi View Post
What’s going in the old save a lot store? I seen construction on.
I don't know, but it must be very recent. I was in Goldsboro 2 weeks ago and drove by there and I didn't see anything happening. I know Planet Fitness is going in the Kmart building. I'm not aware of anything else.

Maybe Pet Village & Ceramics is moving in? They've been looking for a new place ever since their move from Center Street to the corner of Berkeley Blvd and Royall Ave turned out to be a total disaster since the building they were in was hidden from traffic and costing them a lot of business. Why they didn't stay on Center Street is beyond me...

Old 12-25-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I don't know, but it must be very recent. I was in Goldsboro 2 weeks ago and drove by there and I didn't see anything happening. I know Planet Fitness is going in the Kmart building. I'm not aware of anything else.

Maybe Pet Village & Ceramics is moving in? They've been looking for a new place ever since their move from Center Street to the corner of Berkeley Blvd and Royall Ave turned out to be a total disaster since the building they were in was hidden from traffic and costing them a lot of business. Why they didn't stay on Center Street is beyond me...
Ashley home store is moving in the old save a lot location

Old 12-25-2017, 06:14 AM

The owners of Ashley plaza are going to remolded the entire old Kmart store when planet fitness moves in
Attached Thumbnails
Goldsboro is growing again!-b1acb85d-2e36-4757-8627-fc04d7d5e3c0.jpeg  

Old 12-25-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcityboi View Post
Ashley home store is moving in the old save a lot location
You gotta be kidding me! Ashley already had a store on Berkeley Blvd once before and it didn't last long. If they couldn't survive there last time, what the hell makes them think they could survive again? Besides, there's already a furniture store that moved in Rent America's spot next to Kmart in that same plaza. Plus, Furniture Fair is right around the corner on Ash St! At least it beats having an empty building, I suppose.

What a waste of prime real estate...

Last edited by LM117; 12-25-2017 at 07:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina