Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 10,429 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed any light on Trenton, NC please? It's in Jones County and I'm wondering if it's a good place for retirement. Looking for quiet and off the beaten path.. Ty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 8,863,103 times
Trenton is both of those things. My wife specifically recommends somewhere along/off of 58 between Trenton and Kinston, or off Wyse Fork. Though she says in-town is not that bad either. She is from Jones County, namely Maysville, and Pollocksville, with family in Trenton. My personal experience, there is more traffic than you feel there should be on 58 in the summer, as some use it as a back way to Emerald Isle. Though no where near any other Highways. My wife also recommends Comfort in Jones County, if you want off the beaten path. It is off 258.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:03 AM

Thank you very much, your info was quite helpful!!! Never heard of Comfort but will check it out, again thank you...

Old 10-17-2010, 07:38 AM

My wife corrected me, Comfort is on NC 41, proper, not 258. I just see signs for Comfort when I'm on 258. Comfort is not on city data or wikipedia.

Jones County, North Carolina

The zip code is 28522

Because of it's location, you're probably more kley to find a real estate agent in Onslow or Jones county with info on the area. A Trulia search only showed one property for sale, but I also imagine land is cheap there, so it wouldn't cost much to build.

Comfort, 28522 real estate overview - Trulia.com

Address Not Disclosed, Comfort NC - Trulia

Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM

Ok thank you, we have located a property in Trenton, which is why I'm asking about it. Our realtor is away until next week. He has been searching for us for 2 years. We're being very selective as it is our last move! We're in this for the long haul! The house we found is 220 years old. Yep, that wasn't a typo, lol. My husband loves it but I'm on the fence. Way too big for 2 people! Originally we were searching for waterfront but I have heard about alligators and I really want to relax and not have to worry about them. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:22 AM

Alligators aren't what you should be worried about. Flooding is, though you don't necessarily have to be on the waterfront for that. Waterfront property is not "necessary" in Eastern NC b/c the creeks, lakes, and public beaches are plentiful and water access is very easy to come by. In Trenton you have Brock Mill Pond.

Picasa Web Albums - Joel Elliott - 2010-05-18

Not surprised by the 220 years old house at all. Consider the utilities for a place that big. Back to flooding, make sure it's not in a flood prone area. Flooding's not daily concern, but a 10 yr one for sure.
http://www.wcti12.com/slideshow/news/25209145/detail.html (broken link)
Jones Co. Feeling Left Out - Video - WCTI12 New Bern (http://www.wcti12.com/video/25359694/index.html - broken link)

Old 10-17-2010, 10:39 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,661,210 times
Maybe you have thought of this, maybe you haven't not. But...when looking for a "final house" you really ought to consider location relative to medical facilities.

You might be in fine health now, but living in the boonies could really cost you in the future.

Good luck.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina