Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,458 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at buying a Bed and Breakfast. We have looked into many areas including New Bern, Nc. and would like any opinions about the area that you could offer.

One thing that concerns us is there are three B&B's for sale on the same street and that is sending up warning flags. Does anyone know what this could be about? Crime, taxes,etc??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 05:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmom View Post
My husband and I are looking at buying a Bed and Breakfast. We have looked into many areas including New Bern, Nc. and would like any opinions about the area that you could offer.

One thing that concerns us is there are three B&B's for sale on the same street and that is sending up warning flags. Does anyone know what this could be about? Crime, taxes,etc??

Thanks
How about New Bern just not being a sought after coastal destination?

I mean...I go to the coast every chance I get and to a variety of places, but I've never seen the need to spend a night in New Bern. I've been through it, it seems nice enough....but.....

I would think there are other areas that would be much better for such a thing.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,458 times
Thank you! That is the information that I needed. We have several B&B's that we are looking at and trying to narrow it down to one. You helped me eliminate one so I can concentrate investigating the other three areas.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmom View Post
Thank you! That is the information that I needed. We have several B&B's that we are looking at and trying to narrow it down to one. You helped me eliminate one so I can concentrate investigating the other three areas.
Glad I could help. My father lives in New Bern....it's not a 'coastal city' like Wilmington or the many smaller towns are. Not sure why...just a different vibe.

Where else are you looking at?

Old 12-25-2007, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 15,531 times
Think about Oriental. It's near New Bern, about 30-40 minutes away, and is known as the sailing capital of NC because it's good sailing waters. More sailboats than people, literally. Last I knew there was a B&B for sale there, the Cartwright House. They have a website, I think. Check out a local website called TownDock.net. I live in New Bern and love it because it doesn't have the drawbacks of a coastal town, like people coming for the weekend or the summer to drink and fish like crazy, and then go back home. Also, the waters are friendlier for boating, and it's more protected from hurricanes and harsh weather. We're near enough to the Gulf Stream to benefit from it, and gardening is like zone 8 or 9, if that's your bag. New Bern may not be a hot destination, but we do have some tourist attractions (see a AAA guide) and friendly folks. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM

49 posts, read 272,002 times
I live in New Bern. Think the B&Bs for sale may be the result of decreased business if they are in the Historic District. The drawbridge into that area is under construction and will be out for 3 years (go figure..... it's not a long bridge). Some of the downtown merchants are seeing a real drop in revenues, even though the detour is not long.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 6,013 times
Default Positive response to New Berns' B&Bs

Came across the inquiry regarding the several B&Bs for
sale in New Bern and wanted to add a positive twist.

New Bern has always been a beautiful destination town offering
a pedestrian downtown with wonderful restaurants, two rivers,
Tryon Palace, birthplace of Pepsi, Firemens' museum, Trolley &
horse drawn carriage rides, etc. It is a good mix of retirement age
and working/young community with no less than 4-5 major employers.

Each innkeeper has their own reason for selling and not any one
major negative. All of the Inns for sale have had the same
innkeepers for 7-12 years and want to move on to other
chapters in their lives. Our season is typically April to
November and the various tourism options bring business to all
of the B&Bs.

A trip to experience New Bern is recommended to form objective
opinions for both the town and bed & breakfast lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina