Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for (I'm beginning to think) the impossible: a retirement destination -- a small condo is fine -- directly on the ocean, but an easy drive to "big city" amenities which would rent out well for much of the year until I retire, at which point I'd still want to rent it out during peak season. Public transportation or walking/biking distance to basic needs (grocery, etc.) preferred. A city like Sarasota, FL, would fit the bill nicely except that I want coastal surf rather than the dead calm of the gulf. Tybee Island, off Savannah, also appealed until I learned that the waves are non-existent and the water murky there. Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:22 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm looking for ...... a small condo is fine -- directly on the ocean, but an easy drive to "big city" amenities which would rent out well for much of the year until I retire, at which point I'd still want to rent it out during peak season. Public transportation or walking/biking distance to basic needs (grocery, etc.) preferred...... Any feedback?
A place near Wrightsville Beach is possible, also Carolina Beach, Kure Beach or Oak Island. They have bikeable places if you chose carefully. There is the WAVE bus with some service to Carolina Beach (I believe). Some places could be rented year-round as there is beginning to be demand from people who want to live year-round at the beach.

There is reasonably good surf at these beaches.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Looks good! About seven miles to the city from the beach. Too good to be true? Prices don't look outrageous, either -- or at least as not as outrageous as the prices outside Charleston, SC. Will research further; thanks!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Looks good! About seven miles to the city from the beach. Too good to be true? Prices don't look outrageous, either -- or at least as not as outrageous as the prices outside Charleston, SC. Will research further; thanks!
I was thinking especially about the condos on Lions Gate Road off Eastwood Road. Close to the Cross-City bike trail and grocery stores. Not outrageously priced, but don't tell too many people.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:48 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
FWIW, Wilmington is across the Intracoastal Waterway from Wrightsville Beach. Its 7 miles to downtown, but all you have to do is cross the drawbridge to get to Wilmington.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:37 PM

It'll be our little secret, goldenage1... Looks like there's a vibrant contra dance community in Wilmington, too... Will check it out; thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina