Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM

37 posts, read 108,640 times

Advertisements

I am also looking at the possibility of buying a home in the Supply area, so I am reading this thread with great interest. I hope to read more good info on the area. I was just there on Friday and Sat. 3/28 and 3/29. Friday was beautiful - 81 degrees. Sat. was chilly with chilly winds. There are places for sale, but the prices seem to be creeping up and I'm not sure if I can get what I want in my range now.

To add wehat I know about the area for the original poster (since I've been looking closer at the area), Shalotte is considered the "big town" for those who live in Supply, Calabash, etc., though it's not really big. It is the County capital (I think that's right) so the Brunswick Co. Chamber of Commerce is there, a Wal-Mart, a multi-plex theater, a variety of resteraunts a few ofices, and not much else. The other nearby towns are pretty rural and everything is spaced pretty far apart. Calabash is known for it's seafood. Holden Beach is in the area - it's a quiet, family beach. Fishing seems to be popular there. A community college not too far away, and a major university in Wilmington, which is about 30-40 min. away. This area is about half way between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 22,283 times
In process buying a small stick built in Supply across the ICW from Holden as a getaway from our family. Looks like really nice folks living there at first shake and it looks like a nice community.

A couple of questions, if anyone knows:

Where is the Supply town infrastucture? I stopped by the temporary Holden beach Town Hall and they didn't have any information about Supply -- but I'm unable to find any reference to Supply town hall/services, etc. Is it actually in Varamtown? Haven't found anything on the web yet either...

How's the relationship with the folks across the bridge in Holden? Clearly we'd be spending a fair bit of time there.

Tx//Oldscout

Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 AM

4 posts, read 40,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldscout2 View Post
In process buying a small stick built in Supply across the ICW from Holden as a getaway from our family. Looks like really nice folks living there at first shake and it looks like a nice community.

A couple of questions, if anyone knows:

Where is the Supply town infrastucture? I stopped by the temporary Holden beach Town Hall and they didn't have any information about Supply -- but I'm unable to find any reference to Supply town hall/services, etc. Is it actually in Varamtown? Haven't found anything on the web yet either...

How's the relationship with the folks across the bridge in Holden? Clearly we'd be spending a fair bit of time there.

Tx//Oldscout

Supply is not a Town. I rather consider it a Zip Code. The Post Office is at the intersection of Hwy 211 and Hwy 17. Varnamtown is an incorporated Zip Code. You will do most of your business is the Town of Shallotte, the County's Business district.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:00 AM

6 posts, read 22,283 times
Tx hooyadilly I was starting to wonder that myself. Guess that means county taxes only ...

Thanks,
Oldscout

Old 01-25-2014, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,923 times
What are the flood map areas for insurance purposes in Supply?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor mouth View Post
What are the flood map areas for insurance purposes in Supply?
You can check a specific address with the Brunswick County GIS here: Brunswick County GIS

You go to layers, then check the flood zone and flood hazard boxes. To help find your way around, you might compare with the street maps here: http://goo.gl/maps/UcSjk

As far as I can tell, Supply is not in a flood zone except for the areas along creeks marked AE and AEFW (both of these mean 100 year floodplain). What the insurance companies do with these zones, I can't tell you.

There is also this easy map, but you have to use a specific address: http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-26-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You can check a specific address with the Brunswick County GIS here: Brunswick County GIS

You go to layers, then check the flood zone and flood hazard boxes. To help find your way around, you might compare with the street maps here: http://goo.gl/maps/UcSjk
Be careful with addresses, because the postal address of Supply covers areas very near the beaches. For example, Lockwood Folly Plantation is considered Supply and the waterfront lots are in the 100 year flood plain. You should use the specific addresses of the properties you are interested in.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:55 PM

23 posts, read 89,715 times
Are there any stretches of beach to walk along the mainland of Shallotte, Supply, Bolivia, Calabash without going over the bridge?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danute View Post
Are there any stretches of beach to walk along the mainland of Shallotte, Supply, Bolivia, Calabash without going over the bridge?
You are welcome to explore with Google Earth. That side is generally marshy or grassy, rather than sandy, and it is appears privately owned.

One possible area is at the Seamist Camping Resort at 4616 Devane Rd SW, Shallotte. It has a stretch of sand where you might walk around without anyone bothering you. Another is behind the Twin Lakes Seafood Restaurant at the end of Sunset Blvd in Sunset Beach. However, that might be privately owned.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-11-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina