U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 19,508 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Supply NC looking at housing. Supply is an inland community, south of Shallotte, about 3 miles from Holden Beach. I looked in 2 very nice subdivisions named Lakes of Lockwood and Lancaster Woods. There were many new homes that had been on the market for an average of 1.5- 2 years. The drawback seemed to be that both neighborhoods were bordered by local trailer park type housing. The realtor told me that the developers overbuilt during the 2005 housing boom and this is why there were so many houses for sale. In addition some of the builders went bankrupt. One had 15 million dollars of inventory. I have a few questions.

1) Being from the NE do I have to worry about the locals harassing the Damn Yankee.

2) Is the proximity of the locals the reason so many very nice new homes ($300-$450K) are still on the market for up to to 2 years.

I really love the houses and the neighborhood but I am worried that my backyard is right next to the local housing. Should I worry or buy.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 AM

13 posts, read 63,195 times
Hi hoover1,

Remember real estate rule #1 is location, location, location. I am familiar with the area you are talking about. My family vacationed on Holden Beach just this past Sept. Are you buying this home more for the investment potential or are you buying this home because it is a dream home?

If the home is perfect and the location doesn't bother you, then it could be just right for you. But, if there are red flags (like developers going bankrupt, abundance of inventory, long days on the market, AND major contrasts of types of homes in close proximity), these are clearly going to be an issue for other buyers. (In Wilmington, I was recently showing $600 to $700k homes that bordered mobile homes or run down homes. He didn't go for it. He put an offer on a home where the neighborhood and bordering neighborhoods held a similar value.)

Though there are deals to be had in this buyer's market, I think it is still important to use common real estate sense. I once heard a millionaire real estate investor say, "if you buy real estate with your heart, you will get heart burn."

As far as the area you talking about, one of the boom areas of Brunswick county will be the 17 and 211 intersection. It will be years before it comes to fuition and even still, it is speculation. If the market turns further south, these speculative developers could get sucked into their own vision of the area developing. Brunswick County's real estate boom is only a matter of time. I don't think Brunswick has seen its boom yet. Over 22,000 acres was bought recently in Brunswick Co. There is no telling what will come of it. But due to local and national real estate trends, it is hard to lock down the timing. So if your plans are long term, this could be an opportunity. Alot of NE buyers are retiring in the area. Is this your plan?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:03 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,546,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover1 View Post
I was recently in Supply NC looking at housing. Supply is an inland community, south of Shallotte, about 3 miles from Holden Beach. I looked in 2 very nice subdivisions named Lakes of Lockwood and Lancaster Woods. There were many new homes that had been on the market for an average of 1.5- 2 years. The drawback seemed to be that both neighborhoods were bordered by local trailer park type housing. The realtor told me that the developers overbuilt during the 2005 housing boom and this is why there were so many houses for sale. In addition some of the builders went bankrupt. One had 15 million dollars of inventory. I have a few questions.

1) Being from the NE do I have to worry about the locals harassing the Damn Yankee.

2) Is the proximity of the locals the reason so many very nice new homes ($300-$450K) are still on the market for up to to 2 years.

I really love the houses and the neighborhood but I am worried that my backyard is right next to the local housing. Should I worry or buy.

Thanks
We came down from NE 11 years ago and want you to know that the term "Damned Yankees" has been upgraded to "Northern Transplants". We lived in Raleigh for a year then in inland Johnston County for 7 and finally in Sampson County, closer to the beach since last year. Most of the folks we have met kid about this "Yankee" thing but we found it is all in good fun. I would not let that concern be a bother one bit.

Down here folks are used to having half million dollar homes located almost next door to singlewide and doublewide manufactured homes and it doesn't phase most of them too much. Life is good down here especially at the coast so I would suggest you re think your options and then take a shot, as long as you think you can blend in and leave your "baggage" up in NE.

Oh yes, don't bother taking your snowblower.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM

76 posts, read 337,404 times
I live in southport,nc.
1. yankees outnumber locals now in brunswick county, so you will fit in just fine.
2. new built houses went sky high in price about 2 years ago. people were buying like crazy. then they re-assesed our taxes based on this madness. my house went from an assesment of $80,000 to $280,000, for instance. now the market has gone stagnent. for instance, a co-worker just bought a house for $96 that the asking was $140.

my advice is: look for just the right home and offer low.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover1 View Post

Thanks
Well, just guessin' here, but.... If you exhibit this type of distain for the locals, you will undoubtably meet resistance.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 15,317 times
My advice is not to concern yourself as a yankee in NC unless you have an attitude toward locals.
I moved here from Northern New England almost 10 years ago and get along just fine with locals and relocates.
I live just outside Raleigh and have a camp in Supply and find all the folks in both places are easy to get along with.
If you are going to buy in Supply, the people there are very friendly, not to worry about that.
I am looking to buy a second place at the beach in the near future.
Good luck on your home search!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 31,527 times
hello ya'll ... as far as the small towns, shallotte, supply, calabash .. which one is the best for low keyed living, low crime, cheap rentals and such. I haven't been to any of those towns in the last 30 years. Was born in Whiteville, but would like to be close to the beach but not on it. I have a possible job lined up in Supply so any help ya'll could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm also a female harley rider, few tatts so need an area that I might fit in .... but always a professional in medical scrubs

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 31,527 times
does anyone know anything about Cardinal Point at the Highlands or Birch Pond apartments in Shallotte? Any comments would be appreciated

Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 35,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catways View Post
hello ya'll ... as far as the small towns, shallotte, supply, calabash .. which one is the best for low keyed living, low crime, cheap rentals and such. I haven't been to any of those towns in the last 30 years. Was born in Whiteville, but would like to be close to the beach but not on it. I have a possible job lined up in Supply so any help ya'll could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm also a female harley rider, few tatts so need an area that I might fit in .... but always a professional in medical scrubs
As you may know, the pace is picking up in the area. As far as low keyed living, low crime and cheap rentals go, that would be up to what you define as such.

I can tell you that if you wish to rent, Shallotte does have apartments where Supply and Calabash are limited. Calabash and Supply have County law enforcement and volunteer fire protection where Shallotte has municipal police and fire protection.

Being the hub of commerce in Brunswick County, it does draw people from all over the area and therefore generates those (good and bad) wishing to capitalize on that.

Shallotte will be home to Brunswick County's only Harley Davidson Dealership. It is projected to be open this summer. So, don't worry!

The reply I submitted regarding your apartment information requests...neither have a place for you to store your hog! I don't know if that will be an issue or not.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 35,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesoil1 View Post
My advice is not to concern yourself as a yankee in NC unless you have an attitude toward locals.
I moved here from Northern New England almost 10 years ago and get along just fine with locals and relocates.
I live just outside Raleigh and have a camp in Supply and find all the folks in both places are easy to get along with.
If you are going to buy in Supply, the people there are very friendly, not to worry about that.
I am looking to buy a second place at the beach in the near future.
Good luck on your home search!
I agree.

If you stereotype the locals, you will certainly be stereotyped as well.

I never had a problem with anyone here.

"When in Rome..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina