Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 PM

73 posts, read 160,283 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Over the past year, my husband and I toured many of the area's communities as part of our "Where to Retire Tour." We saw Ocean Ridge, Winding River, Rivers Edge, St. James, Brunswick Forest, and many more. We loved the town of Southport and Sunset Beach.

We didn't look at Sea Trail because it sounded more vacation/second home material than full-time residence material. We had also heard about "problems there." I don't know what that means.

Now we are refocusing. We may stay full-time in MD longer than originally planned, and purchase a small second home/vacation property in NC instead. Probably a condo.

It would need to be low maintenance and dog friendly (i.e. ground floor for ease of dog walking or small yard). We like the idea of a community with lots of activities and amenities (pools, tennis). We aren't golfers. We liked St. James but we're put off by the joining and club fees (as we understand them, anyway. It seems confusing).

What are your thoughts on Sea Trail? We like it's proximity to Sunset Beach, and some of the condos look like they have a door from the patio to green space, which would work for dog walking. However, we would like to learn some inside scoop and understand what the "problems" were/are all about.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by jflanagan; 09-11-2014 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,829 times
Hi,

There aren't any major issues in the community since the golf course assets were sold some time ago.

The community does get a little busy in the summer due to the vacation rentals, but the two amenity centers are separate for property owners.

You can't beat the location and Sunset Beach is arguably the best beach in the county and possibly NC. There are a lot of wonderful, friendly people in Sea Trail and I can't see how you can go wrong in that neighborhood.

Regards,

Darren Bouley

Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks, Darren!

How did you know I was wondering about sharing the pool with vacationers?

Is the community itself laid out in such a way that the residences are separate from the resort rental units? Are property owners permitted to rent out their units as they wish, i.e. if you live there, might you be surrounded by the happy revelry of people on vacation?

Thanks again for your reply and good info.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:41 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
The new owner has put a few bucks into the course but it needs a lot more. Even though you don't golf you want well kept courses to add value to your home. Just ask the folks at Baytree and Deer Track in Myrtle.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:31 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercoastnc View Post
Hi,

There aren't any major issues in the community since the golf course assets were sold some time ago.

The community does get a little busy in the summer due to the vacation rentals, but the two amenity centers are separate for property owners.

You can't beat the location and Sunset Beach is arguably the best beach in the county and possibly NC. There are a lot of wonderful, friendly people in Sea Trail and I can't see how you can go wrong in that neighborhood.

Regards,

Darren Bouley
I believe the ENTIRE Sea Trail complex, including all 3 golf coursed were sold last year to a Chinese billionaire.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,829 times
Hi,

The multi-family homes are clustered into neighborhoods, but there isn't a complete separation between vacationers and the residents.

There are restrictions on some of the condominium neighborhoods that limit the rental periods to long-term rentals--not every condominium section are vacation rentals. There are restrictions on rentals in the residential areas and I believe it is 90 days or longer.

I don't hear to many complaints about vacationers from the full-time residents.

Below is a link to available governing documents for your review.

Sea Trail Plantation Governance and Governing Documents | Sea Trail Plantation Real Estate | Sunset Beach North Carolina Homes

Regards,

Darren Bouley

Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks very much!!

Old 12-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Hi Silvercoastnc/Darren - I just sent a message to your inbox. More questions about Sea Trail!

Thanks,

Janet

Old 02-22-2015, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,876 times
Default Sea Trail

No problems in Sea Trail....wonderful community, close to beach...

Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM

Thanks, Sunsetswizzle! Do you own property there?

I had my eye on a condo in Osprey Creek/Crooked Gulley but some concerns have come to light.

Sea Trail is still on my short list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina