U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:29 PM

110 posts, read 416,157 times

Advertisements

I don't remember the name of it - but it was on the east side of town just off Hwy 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 AM

325 posts, read 1,297,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
I don't remember the name of it - but it was on the east side of town just off Hwy 70.
Probably Wilbur's. Eastern NC style BBQ get much better than that!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,613 times
Very exciting to hear! I am moving to Smithfield in early December from California and CANNOT wait! I have family in Virginia and Tennessee and have wanted to move that way for many years and finally have the opportunity.

Reading your message just brought it to life for me!

Best of luck to you!

If you end up in New Bern let me know...my old boss moved from California to New Bern a few years back and loves it. He and his wife own an art supply studio there.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 PM

42 posts, read 168,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
Probably Wilbur's. Eastern NC style BBQ get much better than that!
Wilbur's doesn't have buffet. it was probably McCalls. It's the only buffet place on 70.

if it were me, I'd pick Wilburs over McCalls. But the best BBQ in the area IMO is BJ's grill on 70 in LaGrange

Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenncarmona View Post
Very exciting to hear! I am moving to Smithfield in early December from California and CANNOT wait! I have family in Virginia and Tennessee and have wanted to move that way for many years and finally have the opportunity.

Reading your message just brought it to life for me!

Best of luck to you!

If you end up in New Bern let me know...my old boss moved from California to New Bern a few years back and loves it. He and his wife own an art supply studio there.
I can't wait either!!! I accepted the job, and will actually start in December, but will start here in Oregon (the company has several locations). I will probably be moving in 3 - 4 months, maybe sooner. I get 2 house-hunting trips as part of the relocation package, so I'll hopefully be able to narrow down where I want to live on the first one, and buy a house on the second one. I absolutely loved New Bern, but because I will want to retire to Oregon someday, appreciation is really important to me. So I need to be somewhere that's really growing. That's why I'm thinking Clayton - although that would be a long commute. About the same distance as New Bern, but probably a lot more traffic. I'll be working near La Grange (which is also a very charming little town, just a little too small for me)

I'm so excited about this move. I love living in Oregon, but I know I will come back someday. Life is an adventure, and this will be a terrific job. I also can get ALOT more house for the same money!!!

Best of luck to you, too. BTW - you didn't by any chance buy that adorable Cape Cod in Smithfield that I've been watching? Unfortunately for me it's sold. But since I'm not moving right away, I shouldn't expect that anything I see on the internet now will be available when I move.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:35 PM

518 posts, read 1,817,472 times
Question Is there a significant difference in elevation........

between the Greenville area and the Wilson area?????? Went to Greenville and thought it seemed nice and am planning a trip back to also see Wilson, and other areas to possibly purchase a house. Am a medical worker so don't know right now if I will need to work in Raleigh or in one of the offices (dental) near the coastal areas. Like rolling hills more than either urban traffic or complete flatland. Is the Wilson area growing nicely or is it out of control already? Any websites where I can check out more info or even pictures? I looked at the county (Pitt) website, but is Wilson in the same county? How do they do their bbq? Is it dry rub or wet sauce? Sorry for so many questions.........don't know how many more winters I can take with cold and snow until April...............Thanks a bunch for any info or opinions!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Is there a significant difference in elevation........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

between the Greenville area and the Wilson area

I would like to know that as well. Sounds like we're looking in the same general areas. I think I've narrowed my choices down to Clayton, New Bern, or Winterville/Greenville, but I would still like to visit Wilson on my next trip out there. All four towns are within about 45 miles of where I'll be working. The main reason I'm even considering Greenville is because of ECU. I want to work on an MBA, and they have an affordable program there. I've visited New Bern and really liked what I saw there - a very charming town. But they don't have a university. Decisions, decisions!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 06:19 PM

505 posts, read 2,315,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
Is there a significant difference in elevation........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

between the Greenville area and the Wilson area

I would like to know that as well. Sounds like we're looking in the same general areas. I think I've narrowed my choices down to Clayton, New Bern, or Winterville/Greenville, but I would still like to visit Wilson on my next trip out there. All four towns are within about 45 miles of where I'll be working. The main reason I'm even considering Greenville is because of ECU. I want to work on an MBA, and they have an affordable program there. I've visited New Bern and really liked what I saw there - a very charming town. But they don't have a university. Decisions, decisions!!!

Greenville 50 feet
east wilson a bit more
west wilson 150 feet

Not much difference

If you want to visit wilson let me know, I will tell you the areas to drive through, just so you miss nothing.

Many people are moving and living off of Airport BLVD, and Lake Wilson rd...as a hint

Old 11-18-2006, 07:35 PM

212 posts, read 989,493 times
From a resident, just be advised that Wilson has some very thuggy areas, basically around the downtown. I would not go there after dark unless I had a very compelling reason and a reliable pistol. Out in the county it is perfectly fine. With the new hwy 117 S bypass, we can get to Goldsboro in 20 minutes, Raleigh in 40 on hwy 264.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:47 PM

505 posts, read 2,315,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
From a resident, just be advised that Wilson has some very thuggy areas, basically around the downtown. I would not go there after dark unless I had a very compelling reason and a reliable pistol. Out in the county it is perfectly fine. With the new hwy 117 S bypass, we can get to Goldsboro in 20 minutes, Raleigh in 40 on hwy 264.

Yeah, east Wilson is thuggy for sure. but the neighborhoods on the west side of town are very safe. Just like any town.

Greenville, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Kinston...all have thuggy downtowns. I strongly think Wilson's is the best and prettiest, out of those listed. Is Wilson the funnest.....heck no. Got to go to G-vegas for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina