U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 PM

110 posts, read 416,015 times

Advertisements

Well I finally made the trip! I flew into Raleigh on Friday morning and home to Oregon on Sunday. During my short time there, I drove Hwy 70 to New Bern and back, staying 2 nights in Goldsboro. I was there for a job interview that took most of my time - all of Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. I did have Saturday afternoon free, so I drove to New Bern and toured Tryon Palace. My first impression flying in was how forested the area was - I think I was expecting more flat farmland, which I did see plenty of as I went further east. Going east from Raleigh, it seemed like the terrain really started to change as I got to Goldsboro. That must be about the edge of the Piedmont. I didn't have the chance to really explore the towns I am interested in, I wish I would have had more time. I'll have to save that for another trip!

It was a beautiful day on Saturday, warm and sunny, and I came away feeling "Yeah, I could live here...." Also was very impressed with the warmth of the people I met (most of whom work where I was interviewing). I was really welcomed and shown alot of hospitality. I absolutely fell in love with New Bern, although all I really saw was the historic district - several blocks of quaint shops, colonial architecture, restaurants, etc. The river looked more like a bay - very wide with lots of sailboats. And the palace!!! I bought a ticket for the guided tour, which also included tours of a couple really neat colonial homes. I could have spent all day just in the gardens.

I don't really know much more than I did before I came out, about exactly where I would want to live. I'm still considering Winterville/Ayden area, New Bern, or somewhere in Johnston County to be closer to Raleigh, like Smithfield or Clayton. Any of those areas would be within commuting distance, and there are pros and cons to all of them. There's still so much to learn and consider, which makes me thankful for this forum! Relocating across country is a huge consideration, and it's really helpful in the planning stage to be able to connect with people in the new state, as well as with people who have recently gone through a relocation. Thanks again for all the good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 AM

787 posts, read 3,322,948 times
Let me make a suggestion here. If you are planning to live in Johnston County, I would get just as far west as I could to still be in the county. Clayton would be the best area for this. The traffic in the mornings going to work are horrible through that area. The closer you are to 40 W going in the better off you will be. And you can literally get within 6-8 miles if that of the 40 W exit and still technically be in Johnston County.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 AM

325 posts, read 1,297,095 times
^^ I agree totally if your looking to drive to the Raleigh area quite a bit. If your looking for more land and peace and quiet, the eastern part of Johnston County may suit you.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:36 AM

325 posts, read 1,297,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
Going east from Raleigh, it seemed like the terrain really started to change as I got to Goldsboro. That must be about the edge of the Piedmont.
Technically the Piedmont meets the Coastal Plain in the Clayton area, but in between there and Smithfield the land starts to flatten out quite a bit. Interestingly enough, on NCSU's farms on Hwy 70 near Clayton, there is a thin layer (approx. 3') of Coastal Plain soil on top of the typical piedmont sub-soil. In the Goldsboro area, be sure to check out the Cliffs of the Neuse state park. Very interesting area that seems out of place for that part of the state.
www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/clne/home.html (broken link)

Old 11-03-2006, 10:44 AM

505 posts, read 2,314,323 times
I told you in other posts that New Bern was the best choice. It would be the longer drive to work though. For the rest of New Bern you did not see, It's great. There are no bad sections of town. They are all nice. I lived in brices creek, on the east side of New Bern. That would give you an extra 10 minute drive though. You might want to try the west side of town, to shorten your drive. (Greenbrier area)

I also agree with whoever said stay in western Johnston co. The eastern part of the county stinks.

New Bern and Johnston co would be my first two choices, then Wilson would be my third. I would not even consider those other towns though.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,868 times
Wink eastern nc. is good

Eastern Nc. In My Opinion Is One The Most Interesting Regions In The State To Visit Or Live. It Is Very Historic And Very Laid Back I Am From Greensboro Which Is Considered A Mid-sized City But The Focus Here Seems To Be On Business And Economic Development Which Is Great. Whenever I Visit Down East I Get A Feeling That You Can Relax And Catch Your Breath A Bit Also They Have The Best B-b-q In The Country. A Person Can Never Go Wrong By Visiting Eastern Nc.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:12 PM

Thanks so much for all the advice. The good news is, I just got the job offer! It looks like I will be moving in about 3 months. As part of the relocation package, I will get 2 more trips to the area to house-hunt. Both Clayton and New Bern will be about a 45 minute drive from my work (near La Grange). I didn't visit Clayton on my last trip, but I have read quite a bit on this forum about some of the developments in the area. Appreciation potential is important to me, because I plan to move back to Oregon to retire (most of my family is here), and appreciation here has been pretty steep in the past few years. So to be able to buy back into this market in the future, I will need to invest in a home there that increases in value. I'm not sure when I will be making my next trip out there. But you can be sure I'll be on this forum alot in the weeks/months ahead! I'm so glad I found it! BTW - my new employer took me out to lunch in Goldsboro at an all-you-can-eat buffet style barbeque - good stuff!

Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,323 times
If you want to make money off your home, Clayton is the best choice. New Bern is not growing like Clayton. But you will still make money off your house over time in New Bern. You will not have the potential for a big profit in New Bern, just a small one.

Don't forget to look at west wilson. The area is starting to take off. You would be close to raleigh (35 minutes) and your work (35 minutes). Good chance to make money off your home their as well.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 PM

Thanks Beffrey - Wilson is not one I had looked at - I will definitely try to visit there on my next trip as well.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:01 AM

42 posts, read 168,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
BTW - my new employer took me out to lunch in Goldsboro at an all-you-can-eat buffet style barbeque - good stuff!
McCalls?

I'm from La Grange, my family has a business in Goldsboro. I love the area. I'm glad to hear you loved it too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina