Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,053 times

Advertisements

I am a mid to late career professional looking to relocate to the Wilmington, NC area. If I do decide to relocate I will be doing so with a job already obtained in Wilmington as I will be considering an offer in the next 30-45 days. I wanted to get some perspective from you who are already there or have relocated there in the past. I've been to Wilmington once about 2 years ago. It would be just myself and my wife with no kids. My wife is a mid career professional in the accounting world. Your impressions of the city, the area, beaches communities, pros and cons. I have lived on the east coast in the past but currently live in Western NC (essentially I do miss the ocean - a lot). Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
Your question is a bit broad. How much time did you spend here 2 years ago and what did you do while you were here?

I can give you a long, rambling list of my opinion of any and everything related to the Wilmington area, but it will be my opinion and may be totally irrelevant to you.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,053 times
I was in Wilmington NC merely for a 4 day conference and has some time to move about and explore but not really talk with locals about the city and area. This would be probably a final move in my work life as I am not too far off from retirement, 8 -10 years at most. I miss the ocean, grew up surfing and sailing along the east coast and like that activity. We like dinning out at good local resturants when available, some cultural activities are nice to have, like a variety fo live music, etc... We currently live in/near Asheville, NC but the pull to move to the ocean has surfaced and an employment opportunity may be coming. Trying to get a feel ffrom those living in Wilmington or those who did move there what the pros and cons are of the area. Thank you.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahunac1 View Post
We like dinning out at good local resturants when available, some cultural activities are nice to have, like a variety fo live music, etc... We currently live in/near Asheville, NC but the pull to move to the ocean has surfaced and an employment opportunity may be coming. Trying to get a feel ffrom those living in Wilmington or those who did move there what the pros and cons are of the area. Thank you.
As long as you don't expect too much, Wilmington will probably satisfy your needs. Asheville probably has a better food scene, as I understand. There is a live music scene in Wilmington, but we don't partake.

Many people think there is a lot of crime, but that depends on your perspective. It is far safer than Newark, NJ, but less safe than Northwoods, Minnesota. You can get a feel for many other opinions here: Is Wilmington, NC that bad?

The main thing I would suggest is scoping out job opportunities for your wife. If she can't find a suitable opportunity, would that affect your decision?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 11,519 times
The cost of living in Wilmington is the highest in NC. But, if like being near the ocean you will probably love it. Since you don't have kids, I would assume your housing options will be numerous, since school district is not a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina