Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,

It looks like in December we will be relocating to Camp Lejeune and wanted to get information on the area. We want a great family area that close to stores, restaurants and beach. An absolute must for great schools and pet friendly. Please any insight would be greatly appreciated as we do not know the area what so ever

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:43 AM

353 posts, read 604,501 times
Snead's Ferry is a good area, aim for Topsail High school district if you can. Jacksonville proper is typical, sorta seedy military town - tattoo parlors, strip clubs, pawn shops and used car lots.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,192 times
Thank you for replying-- what about an elementary school district?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:10 PM

353 posts, read 604,501 times
Sorry, can't help you there, other than pointing you at Jacksonville Elementary Schools - Find a School in Jacksonville, North Carolina - SchoolDigger.com

Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
You won't find all your requirements in the same area. I'd suggest the Carolina Forest area of Jacksonville if you want to be close to shopping and restaurants, and close to the base entrance. It has decently rated schools, but not "great" ones.

Sneads Ferry and Swansboro/Emerald Isle are closer to beaches, but schools are average to slightly better. Shopping in SF is very basic, and I find myself driving 18 miles to Jacksonville for replacing watch batteries, buying cases of pet food, etc. SF is about 23 miles to the main gate.

Topsail Island/Surf City and Hampstead have the best rated schools but they are 35-45 miles to the main gate.

All of the areas are used to pets, and many rentals will allow dogs.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 10,294 times
I live the southwest area of Jacksonville and love it. We are far enough away from everything but close enougth to town, shopping, restaurants, etc. Camp Lejeune or New River are a hop on the by-pass as well. The elementary schools in this area are pretty good as far as I know! Ofcourse, it may depend on who you ask. There are three to choose from and I have not heard anything bad about either. My daughter goes to Blue Creek Elementary. I have her re-assigned there. It is old-school, but a good school with low teacher-student ratio.

If you like a more rural setting, then you would like the southwest side of town. We also 15-20 minutes from beaches of Topsail.

We actually have a family home for rent that we be available in December that is in a quiet cul-da-sac in a subdivision that has a ton of kids. I can give you specs if interested.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 PM

107 posts, read 257,134 times
Lots of great homes for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina