Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 AM

11 posts, read 82,626 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ....

Planning a trip in the next month or so, to check out the Sneads Ferry and Swansboro areas and would appreciate any feedback from folks who have retired there. We are mid sixties young, and hoping to retire sometime around the June 2015 timeframe.

We've spoken to a few folks who live in Sneads Ferry and they did give us favorable feedback and said they enjoy living there. We understand that area has quite a few retirees from the New York Tri-state region along with other northerners so looks like we'd feel comfortable. And again we were told the locals are welcoming. We'd enjoy hearing from anyone who has retired there - maybe some folks from our New England (NH to be exact) neck of the woods - and give us your thoughts/comments/positives and negatives and basically your general overall opinions about enjoying/living your retireed years there.

We'd like a 2 - 3 bedroom, 2 car garage, single family home, where master bedroom/bath MUST be on first floor; in the $225K range, and ideally hubby would love a half an acre of land. Preferably in some of those planned developments and/or communities that offer amenities like a pool, Club Room, Fitness Center; however, we also have seen those amenities drive up the costs considerably. So we will probably have to give up/trade some of those amenities.

Any/all responses are appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Coastal1Lady; 09-24-2014 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: I needed to add some info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:11 PM

8,320 posts, read 4,291,521 times
Unfortunately, because so many northerners have come south to live or retire, it has driven up house prices. Starter homes are in the 180-200k range now days.

Anywhere on the NC coast is nice. Some areas are just more rural than others. The Swansboro area has some of the prettiest coast.

For anyone house shopping I would recommend Zillow. It's not always 100% up to date but it will give you a real good idea of what is available and the price range. There are not many retirement communities in the Swansboro area. Cannonsgate is a bit north of there but lots start around 60k.

To get in to most gated retirement communities, with amenities, means an investment starting around 400k.

One area I would look into is Farifield Harbor near Newbern NC. Its a bit older but there are some open lots if you want to build and some older homes in your price range including some that just might be waterfront.

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 AM

11 posts, read 82,626 times
Default Looking for Feedback on Retiring in the Sneads Ferry and/or Swansboro areas

Hi DITCHOC

Thanks for your response. Yes, unfortunately, you are absolutely correct about those "gated retirement communities with those amenities" ... they are definitely well in the $350K range and up.

And I have seen photos and heard that anywhere on the NC coast is quite nice. I have also heard that the Swansboro area has some of the prettiest coast as you stated as well.

I'm going to check out Zillow and the Fairfield Harbour, New Bern area ...and we'll simply take it from there.

Again thanks for your response.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,790,731 times
You might find a house in the North Shore Country Club in Sneads Ferry for $225K. However, you are more likely to find a good deal on an older house in the Fairfield Harbor community in New Bern. You are not likely to find a half-acre in most developments as the usual lot is 1/4 acre or less.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:24 PM

73 posts, read 158,465 times
I agree that North Shore is worth a look. It's a very nice community and just a stone's throw from the beach even though it's on the mainland. The community is split in two by highway 210; I like the south side.

Mimosa Bay is also a nice community in Sneads Ferry...it's fairly new and has amenities, but the lots are not 1/2 acre.

Sneads Ferry is a fishing village and fishing and the beach drive the local economy. There's a Food Lion and CVS and some restaurants nearby, but if you live in SF you will need to drive 20-30 minutes to get to serious shopping and a selection of restaurants.

Good Luck and enjoy your visit!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflanagan View Post
Mimosa Bay is also a nice community in Sneads Ferry...it's fairly new and has amenities, but the lots are not 1/2 acre. !
I live there and the cheapest house available is about $240-250. Floorplans available at the builder websites for H&H Homes or DR Horton. The small houses are on lots about 2 tenths of an acre.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:41 PM
ags

1 posts, read 1,820 times
My husband and i just returned from a trip to the area, with goals very similar to yours. The prices in Fairfield Harbour are lower, but I believe it comes with increased risk of flooding. This website shows risk of flooding for various areas in NC: North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program

(We looked primarily around New Bern, Little Washington, and Wilmington.)

Old 08-08-2018, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,452 times
My husband and I are thinking of moving to Swansboro, NC. We are originally NY inner city kids who have lived in coastal CT for the past twenty years. I have this vision of a small coastal southern town where everyone is friendly and laid back. Swansboro seems to fit that perfectly. People above are saying that gated communities are in the $300K - $400K. Has anyone ever heard of The Villages in Swansboro? They are showing houses for under $200K.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardeb View Post
Has anyone ever heard of The Villages in Swansboro? They are showing houses for under $200K.
I have heard of it, but be aware that the low prices are because they are condominiums. You do not own the land underneath the unit. You should ask what the maintenance fees are, and decide whether they are worth it. One advantage is that it is one of the very few 55+ communities on the coast.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 AM

182 posts, read 282,628 times
Here is the Home Owners Association agency site

https://ccmc-nc.com/associations/the...sociation-inc/

It seem that you can download various community documents even without an account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina