U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,008 times

Advertisements

I am looking possibly relocating to the Wilmington, NC area. Have a job offer where the company is located in Leland,NC and just wondering what life is really like on the coast?

Have read a lot of posts about the area the were ranging from (2006- 2010) wondering if they still apply the same for the last 5 years or so?

Wondering if there are things to do for a Family with 2 children ages 5 year old and 2 month old?
How are the School Systems?
Types of Activities to do?
What does Flood Insurance cost in the areas?
What are Utility costs like during winter and summer for a (1300- 2000 sq ft.) home?
What's Crime like, heard it is declining and looking better?
Things to do for at home moms, any groups that get together for playdates?
What are costs of Pre-K schools?
What's golfing like in the area, Nice courses ?

Would love to have some where with water views, doesn't have to be right on the beach, could be a nice lake. Have kinda looked in the Carolina Beach, Southport, and Boiling Spring Lakes areas. Looking for homes in the ($130K - $200K) range. Just wondering from families that have kids what there opinions were.

Lots of Questions, but would love the feed back.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:27 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshell1 View Post
I am looking possibly relocating to the Wilmington, NC area. Have a job offer where the company is located in Leland,NC and just wondering what life is really like on the coast?
..... Would love to have some where with water views, doesn't have to be right on the beach, could be a nice lake. Have kinda looked in the Carolina Beach, Southport, and Boiling Spring Lakes areas. Looking for homes in the ($130K - $200K) range. Just wondering from families that have kids what there opinions were.
I suggest renting a house close to where the job is in Leland. One community in your price range would be Windsor Park. However, my other suggestion is to locate close to an elementary school, as some communities in Leland would have long bus rides to a school. Look for Facebook groups for mother's groups.

At you price range you are unlikely to find water views and Carolina Beach is probably too expensive. Leland is nice, but it attracts many retirees. I would also suggest you look at Belville and Bolivia for affordable houses.

Answers to other questions about insurance and utility costs have been answered many times. Just use the search and only look at recent 2014 messages. One example here: Best place for a family in Eastern NC?

Old 09-28-2014, 05:13 PM

353 posts, read 439,408 times
I'll answer everything I'm sure of. My answers pretty much just pertain to Wilmington, I don't know much of the inner workings of Brunswick County (Leland, Southport, et al)

Quote:
Wondering if there are things to do for a Family with 2 children ages 5 year old and 2 month old?
Plenty. There's obviously the beach, and we have some very nice parks. Lots of rivers, streams, and marshes for kayaking, canoeing, boating. If you want to spend some money, there's the water park, Jungle Rapids (though it will be a while for the youngest to get anything out of that). There are two roller skating rinks and an ice skating rink, multiple bowling alleys, many golf courses. I could go on and on, but there is more than enough to do around here.

Quote:
How are the School Systems?
New Hanover County schools are good, aim for the east side of town.

Quote:
Types of Activities to do?
See above

Quote:
What does Flood Insurance cost in the areas?
You only pay flood insurance if you buy a house in a flood zone, and even then there are many variables that affect the price. I'm in a flood zone, but since my house is up on pilings, I only pay $400 a year for more than enough coverage. When a neighbor who has a non-elevated house asked about flood insurance, he was quoted $4500 a year.

Quote:
What are Utility costs like during winter and summer for a (1300- 2000 sq ft.) home?
Well that's kind of up to you and your lifestyle, plus the energy efficiency of the house you live in. All I can tell you is, winter will cost you about half what summer costs.

Quote:
What's Crime like, heard it is declining and looking better?
Crime is mostly in the housing projects and low income areas surrounding the downtown. Occasionally it spills over into adjoining neighborhoods. Outside of that, there's the usual petty stuff that you expect to find in any good sized city.

Quote:
What's golfing like in the area, Nice courses ?
There are several extremely nice courses in the area.

Quote:
Looking for homes in the ($130K - $200K) range.
That price range will generally get you a ranch style house built in the 1960's to 1970's or a small patio-type home in a newer development. You won't get a water view in that price range.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshell1 View Post
What are costs of Pre-K schools?
What's golfing like in the area, Nice courses ? .....
If your 5-year old was 5 on or before August 31, 2014, he is eligible for kindergarten in Brunswick County. Info here: Best place for a family in Eastern NC? Otherwise, since I have no idea of pre-Kindergarten costs, I suggest telephoning a few schools.

Golfing is popular hobby and the are scores of courses. You can golf nearly all year round.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,060,820 times
I'm going to sound like I'm promoting my neighborhood...but for that price range you can buy a ranch house in Pine Valley on a 1/3 acre lot, and be set for some of the best schools in the city going forward...as well as be within 15-20 minutes to 2 beaches, plenty of stuff for the kids (there is a Bounce place at Long Leaf Center at Shipyard and College). Leland is about 20 minutes...I use Shipyard/Carolina Beach Rd which is not that heavily traveled.

That's what I would do...I wouldn't mind commuting to Leland from my neighborhood and I think its one of the best in the city for kids (large lots, good community feel, good schools). The more east you go, the more you have to deal with crossing College Rd and adding time to the commute (both ways).

About the golfing...the Municipal Course was under construction this summer...but is a very good value if you live in the City. There are plenty of good golf courses, because we are also not far from Myrtle Beach and all of their offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or