Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

We need help.My wife is an RN ,graduated in 2012 and we are an older couple.She tried Hospital nights and Home health care but just can't handle the hrs. and home health paper work which keeps her busy from morning till night seven days a week.We have no life.She would like to know or hear from other nurses or others on Dr. offices or any day type nursing where she can leave her work at the office.I myself am retired.Is their any hope?She is extremely dedicated to patient care and is a patient advocate to the utmost.Money is running low.We live in Florida and do know the area sort of from new Bern to Morehead city.Thank you so much for listening and hope their are others like us.We do have some money left to get us by for 6 months about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoegen View Post
Money is running low.We live in Florida and do know the area sort of from new Bern to Morehead city......We do have some money left to get us by for 6 months about.
I don't understand your situation. If you live in Florida, why do you want to move to Morehead City? The Morehead City area is a much smaller population than most urban areas of Florida, and has a much smaller pool of jobs.

I would not move without a solid job offer. I would have suggested a job at Camp Lejeune or New Bern, but both are more than 20 miles away. Why are you limiting yourself if you just want to move out of Florida?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:16 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Morehead City area is a much smaller population than most urban areas of Florida, and has a much smaller pool of jobs.
In addition, the wife will require a current North Carolina license to apply for many jobs. Here are some sample job listings from Indeed.com: Nurse Jobs, Employment in Morehead City, NC | Indeed.com

The options in Havelock, Cedar Point and Beaufort are within the 20-mile radius. Sealevel is a bit further at 32 miles. You may have to check the county websites separately. You can also use Google maps, and search for doctors to get a list of all doctors near Morehead City.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Hi Goldenage,I am physician licensed in NC and would like to restart a practice which will take time I know.I retired in 2011 hoping that our life will be ok but in fact,it didn't.I wish I could go into it more but it would take a year.I just want a better life for us and stand by her side while she finds her nitche and come out of retirement.I truly loved my work also.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
The only thing tougher than nursing school is working as a nurse.

Since your wife graduated nursing school in 2012 she is still a pretty new nurse. Nurses can be very supportive but they can also be very petty and protective of "senior jobs" that are easier then working the floor. Most hospitals are now driven by profits, growth and federal laws. Nurses AND Doctors now spend far more time checking boxes in e-charting rather than caring for patients. Some times it seems foolish. The nurse has to walk into the room for a safety check then pull up the patient on the computer, and start checking boxes. Is the call bell in reach? Is the over head light on? Is the under bed light on? Does the patient have non-skid socks on? And so on ... every two hours for every patient! I'm not saying its totally foolish but multiply this times 6-7 patients times a few hundred other other tasks the nurse is supposed to accomplish every day for every patient and suddenly nurses do not even have time to pee. It generally works out because they don't have time to get a drink of water either.

Personally I do not think nurses should have to take care of more then 3 or 4 patients in a day but 6 and even 7 are the norm. I also struggled with night shift and excessive paperwork. But finding less demanding jobs is hard because of nurses with 20 years experience or masters degrees gravitate toward them. This includes case management, doctors offices and so on. I was thinking home health might be easier but from your comment, maybe not.

If your wife could specialize in oncology and do chemo or perhaps infusion and learn to place PICC lines, that kind of thing, then perhaps she could do well with out as much stress.

I am a RN and I do live in Morehead City, before here I was in the greater Raleigh Durham area and have some experience in Duke, Chapel Hill, State psyche hospitals as well as a number of small county hospitals including Carteret General. So I speak in broad terms and not of any specific hospital. Trying to keep up with the work load placed on nurses and doctors today in general is driving many out of health care. It's bad for the health of those practicing and its not safe for the patient. Oxymoronic is it not?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 AM

Thank you Ditchoc for your insight.I guess this is up to her to position herself by adding to her certifications.Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina