U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,441 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My wife and I visited a number of communities in the Wilmington area last week and were impressed with Brunswick Forest. However, we were not originally aware that the majority of residents are retired and/or near retirement without children living at home. The sale rep told us the split is about 70% w/o children and 30% with children at home.

Is anyone familiar with this area and have thoughts on raising a family at Brunswick Forest? Also, thoughts on North Brunswick High School? I've seen the school ratings but understand that ratings are somewhat subjective.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:50 AM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Are you set on moving to Leland or Brunswick County in general? Would your work be located there? There are better rated schools in Wilmington itself and in Hampstead/Topsail. If you have kids, I would suggest you look more seriously at housing in Wilmington or Hampstead.

The sales rep is correct about the percentage of families with children versus childless families. I did a bit of research with the census figures for one neighborhood in Brunswick Forest, and the figures are accurate. I have also been told that of the "plantations", Brunswick Forest is the one with the most families with children. According to one account, St James has about 20% households with children.

The question for you is, how do you feel about raising your children in a neighborhood that is not overwhelmingly child oriented? Furthermore, I assume you have seen the Greatschools.org rating of 3 out of 10 for the North Brunswick High School. I would certainly have second thoughts about the school before I enrolled a child there. By comparison, Hoggard High in Wilmington rates a 7 and Topsail High rates an 8.

I hope you get some parent responses, but not sure you will. Most of us on this board are retired or close to retirement. Best wishes on your move.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-08-2014 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: added Hoggard and Topsail

Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
Thanks for the response goldenage. We are looking at Wilmington also; Mayfaire Town Center and Porter Neck areas. We have not considered Hampstead but after looking at the Topsail HS stats I believe this are may be in play also.

My wife and I both work for Fortune 50 companies and are fortunate to be able to take our jobs with us. We like the concept and tidiness of Brunswick Forest but I believe that school choices will be our deciding factor.

Forum members - any thoughts?

Cheers and thanks again goldenage.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:43 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,964,956 times
Send children to Private Schools...

This way you can live anywhere..

Old 10-19-2014, 11:09 AM

76 posts, read 337,544 times
I totally agree that schools in Brunswick county are horrendous. My children went to first Lincoln Elementary in Leland, then South Brunswick (we moved to Southport) and they were filled with negativity and drug activities. The private schools are nearly non-existent. I knew one family that drove their kids into Wilmington everyday for a private school; another that found a tiny one based out of a church in Shallotte. I don't think it has gotten any better here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or