U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM

40 posts, read 203,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLSKOOL72 View Post
Do yourself a favor and by-pass Wilmington. I'm sure I'll get hammered for this, but I will give you my opinion. I'am in my mid-30's, wife & one small child, I'm also a small business owner here in Wilmington, right up from the Mayfair actually. Most people that enjoy wilmington are the older, more fortunate transplants, that leave the north east with there wad of cash from there $700,000 home sale, find a quaint neighborhood, spend $350k on a house, and relax on the rest, never leave there little area, life is good, they may golf, but thats it! They think its WONDERFUL!!! What a croc!!

I would think people relocating to Wilmington with cash would stimulate the economy and that is a good thing, but I guess that depends on what they are spending it on. Older people aren't going to buy trendy clothes and get tattoos. From what I've read there are many people in their late 20's and 30's who are relocating to Wilmington and the shops downtown look pretty cool.

I am grateful for the honest input. Since I've lived in major cities, the crime factor doesn't bother me, it's a given. We don't have kids so I don't have to consider the school system.

What I would like to know......are there restaurants with outdoor seating that allow dogs? And, are the closest mountains really 6 hours? I can't seem to find any info. on this. Also, are there any good coffee shops intown/downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM

217 posts, read 1,031,604 times
[What I would like to know......are there restaurants with outdoor seating that allow dogs? And, are the closest mountains really 6 hours? I can't seem to find any info. on this. Also, are there any good coffee shops intown/downtown? [/quote]

Yes, there are many restaurants w/outdoor seating. Off the top of my head, South Beach Grill at Wrightsville Beach and Cafe Phoenix downtown both have outdoor seating areas and they welcome dogs. Unfortunately, the NC mountains are going to be about a 6 hour drive from here. Port City Java is a local coffee shop here and there are many throughout town, downtown and the beach. Another local favorite is the Smudged Pot on Wrightsville Avenue. Great coffee and they are very dog friendly

Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM

GREAT! Thank you so much oyster07. We'll be sure to check those out when we visit.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 42,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
I would think people relocating to Wilmington with cash would stimulate the economy and that is a good thing, but I guess that depends on what they are spending it on. Older people aren't going to buy trendy clothes and get tattoos. From what I've read there are many people in their late 20's and 30's who are relocating to Wilmington and the shops downtown look pretty cool.

I am grateful for the honest input. Since I've lived in major cities, the crime factor doesn't bother me, it's a given. We don't have kids so I don't have to consider the school system.

What I would like to know......are there restaurants with outdoor seating that allow dogs? And, are the closest mountains really 6 hours? I can't seem to find any info. on this. Also, are there any good coffee shops intown/downtown?
Sounds like this is exactly what your looking for then. A mini Lauderdale, full of crime, tatooed people, ethinic diversity, and outdoor restaurants. You got it!!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are planning to visit Wilmington at the end of Jan. and hopefully move up by March. We are currently in South Beach, Miami, via NYC and are looking for a more affordable city to settle in. We are both mid 30's, no kids, and heard/read that Wilmington is an upcoming city. I have a few questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMO it is a city with the level of amenities of a Raleigh, Columbia, Greensboro, Greenville (SC), Charleston, but with roughly half the amount of people. It is going to be about 15 - 20 times smaller than Miami, and with the exception of the beach, it is surrounded by mostly small towns and swampland. In may be an "up and coming" city in the sense that it is not getting any smaller, but if you expect something similar to Miami or NYC, I think you'll be disappointed.

Quote:
*I heard about an area called the Brooklyn Arts District. Can someone please tell me what is it like, size of the area, types of businesses?
I've only driven through the area a handful of times, but it doesn't seem so great to me. I currently live in a downtown area with moderately bad crime, and am looking to move farther away from the crime. For me, the Brooklyn Arts District would be a step away from what I want. I'm currently shopping for rental houses, and I've seen a few of the Brooklyn Arts houses are advertising that they have Alarm Systems.

Quote:
*Is there an area in between downtown and the beach with food/coffee in walking distance. (Besides Mayfaire)
Besides Mayfaire, nothing comes to mind. UNCW and related apartments take up a lot of that area you're talking about, and the rest is mostly strip malls and housing developments. It's not walkable, but I really like the older neighborhoods up and down Wrightsville Avenue.

Quote:
*How far are the closest mountains from Wilmington?
Pretty far. I think 6 hours sounds about right; maybe longer.

Quote:
*Is Wilmington considered to be a dog friendly city?
Not extremely, but yes, I consider it to be. Parts of Carolina Beach and Ft. Fisher (Beach) allow dogs, there's an extremely crowded dog park (Empie Park), and I see lots of these fancy-pants "dog babysitters" around. You'll see lots of people walking dogs around downtown.

Quote:
*Any thoughts on art and fashion in Wilmington?
Fashion, it's like bizarre a mixture of southern redneck, southern prep, thug, surfer, "hipster", traditional middle eastern, guido yankee, ragamuffin, emo, Honduran dockworker, glam.. you name it. I see people that dress in every conceivable style. I'm not really big on fashion, so I can't comment on the quality of it all. Tattoos are really popular here in downtown.

Art, I've been fairly impressed by. A lot of the "local art" that is sold to tourists is pretty bad, but the galleries have some pretty good stuff. I've seen some good abstract art, among other things.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
Quote:
I would think people relocating to Wilmington with cash would stimulate the economy and that is a good thing, but I guess that depends on what they are spending it on.
Transplants do have positive affects, but you have to consider the negatives. They (I should say "WE") also create problems. For example, the people in downtown are very transient. For one, about half the people you meet in the summer are tourists. As far as the year-round residents go, they are more likely to be from Ohio, Pennsylvania or New Jersey as they are to be from Wilmington. This might be appealing to some, but those people are also likely to pick up and move somewhere else. Also, if you're like me, you get to missing southern hospitality, which is spotty at best around here.

Quote:
Older people aren't going to buy trendy clothes and get tattoos. From what I've read there are many people in their late 20's and 30's who are relocating to Wilmington and the shops downtown look pretty cool.
Yes, I agree that they do look pretty cool. Wilmington, in general, looks pretty cool. It's the people here that I'm not too crazy about.

Quote:
I am grateful for the honest input. Since I've lived in major cities, the crime factor doesn't bother me, it's a given.
I've lived here 10 months. I've seen several hypodermic needles lying on the sidewalk in front of my house. Twice, someone has gone through my trash can at night. Bums dig (yes, literally dig) in my back yard, and have walked straight into my house, claiming to be a tax collector. People mysteriously ring my doorbell at 3 and 4 AM to see if I'm home (so they can rob me). The guy who lives in the floor above me left his back door unlocked one night, and two guys beat him, put him at gunpoint, and robbed him. The same guy had his mountain bike stolen (from inside the apt) last week.

Point being - I wouldn't assume crime is a non-issue. I haven't been a victim of anything, but the odds aren't too good.

Quote:
What I would like to know......are there restaurants with outdoor seating that allow dogs?
The cellar, the dock street oyster bar, fat tony's (I think). There are a few bars that allow dogs inside, too.

Quote:
Also, are there any good coffee shops intown/downtown?
Yeah, there are a few. Port City Java has locations all over town, including 2 downtown. There are two others downtown I can think of, but I forget their names. Wilmington has good restaurants; I've been impressed.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

I've lived here 10 months. I've seen several hypodermic needles lying on the sidewalk in front of my house. Twice, someone has gone through my trash can at night. Bums dig (yes, literally dig) in my back yard, and have walked straight into my house, claiming to be a tax collector. People mysteriously ring my doorbell at 3 and 4 AM to see if I'm home (so they can rob me). The guy who lives in the floor above me left his back door unlocked one night, and two guys beat him, put him at gunpoint, and robbed him. The same guy had his mountain bike stolen (from inside the apt) last week.

Point being - I wouldn't assume crime is a non-issue. I haven't been a victim of anything, but the odds aren't too good.
I'm not saying it's a non-issue, just that I'm used to things like that after living in several major cities. I'm sorry you've had to endure that type of crime, it's unpleasant in any city. I appreciate your input, as we're definitely not looking to move into a difficult area.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times
I agree with the people who say that asheville might be a better choice for you. the city is LOADED with art and character. however if you want to be in wilmington, here are the facts. this is a VERY dog friendly city. I don't have a dog but they are all over the place downtown and most of them are friendly! as for the mountains, you can get to the mountains in 4 hours. asheville is around a 5 hour drive from here but there are mountains closer. you mentioned the brooklyn arts district. this is simply a marketing scam thought up by local real estate agents. there is nothing brooklyn, nor arts about it. it makes up like a block or two and there are a few vacant buildings and two condo complexes which are empty due to being overpriced. wilmington doesn't have districts. it is a very small town. you can get from one side of downtown to the other in a matter of 10 minutes. real estate agents are naming places downtown after places in new york in hopes of attracting people from new york. so far we have, the brooklyn arts district, brooklyn, and manhattan, which are all in bad areas of town.

I went to college here in the late 90's and loved the town, which was only about 50,000 people or so. when I moved back two years ago, it had doubled in size. is it better than where I was? yeah. am I going to stay here for a long time? no. housing is overpriced and the jobs are very low paying. but it still might be a better place than miami. oh, and regarding the beach. don't plan on doing that anymore. good luck finding anywhere to park. you have to go to carolina beach which is 25 minutes south to have a day at the beach. I suggest you come here and see for yourself. I like asheville much better, however I have never lived there. it does have the same problems that wilmington does as well, crime, traffic, low paying jobs, and overpriced real estate.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM

83 posts, read 332,911 times
Default Asheville vs. Wilmington

I have to agree with everything jmarquise said about the comparisons between Asheville and Wilmington with one exception...the traffic. I lived and went to school in Asheville from 1996-2001 and an a frequent visitor for relatively long periods of time...a week to two weeks and there is no comparison. The agressiveness is not there. The Jersey Cuts...flipping off...cursing and other types or road rage I just haven't seen. There are a couple of problem areas during rush hour...I-26 for the first few exits...and I 240 going to west into West Asheville/Tunnel Road. The exit to Biltmore Estate can back up during very busy days at the house as well.

Yes home prices are even higher...as retirees seem to be driving the boon there. Good paying jobs just like Wilmington are few and far between. Mainly service based centered around The Biltmore Estate and The Grove Park Inn.

If you are a sports fan...Asheville does have a minor league baseball team...The Asheville Tourists who play in a beautiful park. Why a town the size of Wilmington doesn't have a team is beyond me.

Regarding crime...probably about the same as Asheville does have its bad pockets. Asheville does have four seasons though. Everybody says you get to enjoy the four seasons in Wilmington and my reply is huh? Asheville is approximately 2100 feet in elevation...so they do get some snow...which is beautiful but it doesn't stick around long. They also stay mild in the summer not opressively hot like Wilmington. Of course the beautiful fall color speaks for itself. Fall in Wilmington...well pine trees don't change colors and what few decidious trees there are...the temperature contrast...which drives color...just isn't there to produce any meaningful color. Oh well...enough for now.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 AM

915 posts, read 2,311,245 times
I lived in Wilmington from 1997-2002, and Asheville ever since. I go back to Wilmington every two months or so for a long weekend, as my parents still live there. I would also echo the previous thoughts on traffic and the seasons. If live music is important to you, you will find much better in Asheville, we have an arena (yeah, I know it's old) where we have decent concerts (I've seen Pearl Jam here, as well as Jackson Browne and Peter Frampton recently), an auditorium that draws good entertainment (Jerry Seinfeld twice since I've been here, among other well known musical and comedy acts), and the Orange Peel, a music venue that hosted the Smashing Pumpkins for 9 nights this summer.

Home prices here in Asheville are high, as they are in Wilmington, and wages are low, as they are in Wilmington too, at least compared to other areas. I don't know what your job situations are, but you need to research that seriously before making a decision. I'm moving from here in a few months due to a job situation, I now am commuting to Spartanburg daily, but making a lot more money down there, and cost of living there compared to Asheville is a good 25% less. Home prices are 30-50% less.

As to the post about minor league baseball in Wilmington, the city does not want to fund a stadium there. They had a Class A Dodgers Affiliate for one year a few years back, but the team left after that season as an agreement on building a new stadium could not be met. They played on the UNCW campus, which really wasn't a suitable facility. I believe they had a team for a couple years back in the 90s, but the same situation forced them out as well. Asheville Tourists games are a great value and lots of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina