U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,355,686 times

Advertisements

wilmington doesn't want to fund a baseball team but for some reason they really want to build a convention center! I am not really sure about the traffic in asheville. I went there over christmas so it was probably a busy time, and I was talking about the city only. outside town wasn't bad. the wilmington traffic is due to a few things. one reason the drivers are rude is because NO ONE is from wilmington. they all come from areas with high density of traffic. major metro areas, such as washington dc. which is actually the one I lived in for most of my life. also the fact that the cape fear bridge comes into town at a stoplight. thank god they built the isabell holmes bridge. if you aren't looking for a mini new york city, you might not want to come here. they really seem to be heading in that direction. every place you go you will see new york yankee stickers on cars, hear super thick accents, and don't forget to tune into channel 9, home of the new york yankees? sometimes I forget I am actually in north carolina. I miss the icehouse bar downtown. they bulldozed that for condos for retirees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,642,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
one reason the drivers are rude is because NO ONE is from wilmington. they all come from areas with high density of traffic. major metro areas, such as washington dc. which is actually the one I lived in for most of my life.
I agree with you here. Wilmington is like a small-town type of place, that is filled with big-city type people from out of town.

I agree with a lot of what you've said in your posts.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 AM

the thing about wilmington is that it really thinks it's a big city. at least it is trying to be. when I was here in the late 90's, it had so much history and charm. it was pretty much the middle of nowhere and no one had ever heard of it. then building by building, they started destroying the character of the town. no longer is it my ghetto little beach town. joe's nc style bbq's were becoming tony's new york style pizza. oh, and for the person who was thinking about moving here, this town has one of the worst, most corrupt governments I have ever seen. plus, the police force is responsible for more murders this year than our citizens are I believe.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:55 PM

261 posts, read 1,103,194 times
Default Is any city Nirvana? Wilmington has it's issues, but doesn't every place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
I'm not saying it's a non-issue, just that I'm used to things like that after living in several major cities. I'm sorry you've had to endure that type of crime, it's unpleasant in any city. I appreciate your input, as we're definitely not looking to move into a difficult area.
My family moved to Wilmington in 1972. I grew up in New Hanover County, went to school there, eventually married and raised children there. In 2001, I moved to Wake County due to job related reasons.

Last spring, my husband and I decided to invest in a second home in the Historic District. I was raised in the Carolina Heights (Historic Overlay) neighborhood and was not put off by the mixed demographics of downtown. Is there crime? yes! Use some common sense and be careful, same as you would anywhere in the world.

Downtown is a great deal of fun and I really missed the live music, the eclectic people, and yes...all the tourists. I've met some really interesting people over the years by talking with visitors, welcoming them to the area and helping them get aquainted with the area.

I currently live in Cary, NC. Cary has many times been listed in Money Magazines top 10 cities to live in. We have low crime, lots of trees, and regulations against garish business signs. We live very near a fantastic dog park. There are great schools, affordable housing and good job availability. Sounds divine doesn't it? Still, I've seen lots of gripes and scathing criticism directed at Cary in the City-Data forum for Wake County.

My ONLY criticism of Cary, NC would be that it lacks the music scene, vital Historic District and beaches that I was used to. You can always find something fun to do in Wilmington! I believe that if you take two different people and put them in the same environment, their perceptions, beliefs and attitudes are going to help define the experience they ultimately have. I also believe that no place will be home until you make friends, and become part of the community.

Good luck with your decision, Dogluvr. You seem like a lovely person with realistic expectations. I have a feeling you will be happy where ever you land.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM

40 posts, read 203,560 times
Quote:
you mentioned the brooklyn arts district. this is simply a marketing scam thought up by local real estate agents. there is nothing brooklyn, nor arts about it. it makes up like a block or two and there are a few vacant buildings and two condo complexes which are empty due to being overpriced.
Thank you for the good laugh, this answer is hilarious! It's pretty much what I expected, but wanted to give the benefit of the doubt.

Half my family is from the North and half from the South, so it sounds like I might have the best of both worlds in Wilmington......southern hospitality AND some nice Italian food!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM

I also think that every place has it's benefits. like I said before, wilmington is much better than living in the burbs of washington DC. I just wish more people around here would move here to escape the downfalls of big metro areas instead of bringing the problems with them. I think that you will probably like it here better than miami. small towns do have their benefits. someone before mentioned something about people moving here from the north with a wad of cash. it really doesn't stimulate the economy. it just drives property values up. hopefully with addition of the new PPD building downtown, perhaps wilmington will come up to par with salaries. I don't really find crime to be an issue here. granted I grew up around DC, was born in detroit, and lived in memphis for a bit. wish I knew of some places between downtown and the beach to walk to coffee shops. wilmington really doesn't have suburbs. if you do take the plunge and move here, I will be happy to suggest areas to live in. unless you make a ton of money, forget buying a place downtown. if you want to live downtown, RENT! if you are looking to buy a place, I would honestly suggest the area of town I live in. there are still some pretty good deals around here. I am not a real estate agent so I will be honest! I can also tell you the areas of town to avoid! avoid brunswick county at all costs!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:33 PM

also avoid mayfaire at all costs. imagine everything you can't stand about suburbs and you have mayfaire. if you come here to visit, I suggest staying at the best western coastline inn. it is right downtown on the water and affordable. unless you are rich or something, then stay at the hilton.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 PM

40 posts, read 203,560 times
Quote:
also avoid mayfaire at all costs. imagine everything you can't stand about suburbs and you have mayfaire. if you come here to visit, I suggest staying at the best western coastline inn. it is right downtown on the water and affordable. unless you are rich or something, then stay at the hilton.
Well, if I were rich, my personal assistant would be on a plane to Wilmington right now to sort out these details But for now, I'd love to hear what you consider the good neighborhoods to be. If our visit goes well, we'd like to rent for awhile first. Mayfaire type places remind me of the Stepford wives, so that's out......although I'm sure the shops are nice. From looking at the map, a nice house with a big back yard right between downtown and the beach sounds great, buy I'm not sure what those neighborhoods are like.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 AM

hmmmm. I guess it depends on how much you would like to spend on rent. there are some nice places downtown for under $1000. check craigslist. remember one thing though, houses downtown are old, and being by the river BEWARE OF COCKROACHES! people here will try to call them waterbugs or redbugs, but they are cockroaches. there is also an area called forest hills. probably a little more expensive but it is a really cool neighborhood. huge houses from the 30's and 40's on big lots. I live across the street from there. the neighborhood I live in is called chestnut heights aparently. less expensive than forest hills. a few houses for rent here as well. most of the houses in this neighborhood have over .25 acres of land as well with some having .50 or more. it's a pretty central location. airport is 5 minutes, downtown is 5 minutes, and beach is around 10 minutes depending on traffic. the the thing about wilmington is, it's small. you can get anywhere in town in 20 minutes.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 26,117 times
fortysixandtwo~ Can't stop laughing over your vitriol at Wilmington...do you have any info on education there? I'm a NY teacher looking for a less expensive place than LI (which I love but despise the politics) to buy/build a home on 3+ acres of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina