Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times

Advertisements

Move to ASHEVILLE!

You will not be sorry. Talk about a trendy, funky, artsy fartsy city now! It is GREAT!

Or have you considered Charlotte. 2hrs to the Asheville (mountains) and 3 1/2 hrs to beach (Wilmington or Myrtle Beach).

I like Wilmington too. Just haven't spent alot of time there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 PM

40 posts, read 229,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Move to ASHEVILLE!

You will not be sorry. Talk about a trendy, funky, artsy fartsy city now! It is GREAT!

Or have you considered Charlotte. 2hrs to the Asheville (mountains) and 3 1/2 hrs to beach (Wilmington or Myrtle Beach).

I like Wilmington too. Just haven't spent alot of time there!

If for some reason Wilmington didn't pan out, Asheville might be in the running, but we're pretty set on being by the ocean.

On a side note to fortysixandtwo:

I sympathize with your dislike of Wilmington. I was "stuck" in Orlando (which I lovingly referred to as Borelando) for much longer than I would have liked. I hated that tourists were everywhere, and "nobody" seemed to know how to drive. The fact that locals considered a giant dressed up mouse culture was nauseating, and my favorite coffee shop was turned into a hangout for college kids to get drunk on quarter draft beers!

Then, one day, it was like I had an epiphany.......I decided to change my attitude and search for something, ANYTHING to like about Borelando. My husband and I tried new restaurants and took advantage of the beautiful weather by setting chairs and plants outside our place. Things were looking brighter and just when I said to myself "self, this isn't so bad"........we moved to NYC.

My point is, we never know where life is going to take us so why not just enjoy the ride?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM

83 posts, read 367,620 times
Yea thanks dogluvr. I know there are redeeming qualities about every place...I just haven't found them here yet. I do have a great job here thanks to the federal government. I will keep looking and I will keep posting the truth. BTW...the vet I spoke about some time ago...finding them was what allowed us to keep our sanity. Great care...staff...facilities...follow up calls...you name it. Our dog bought a gift for her doctor and she recieved a thank you addressed to her in a matter of a couple of days.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:05 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
first of all, to fortysixandtwo, you have a dog that bought a gift for a vet. why aren't you a millionaire in the circus. it boggles the mind. I also agree with dogluvr. each place is what you make of it. you can find good things in all areas. even when I lived in detroit, I always knew where to watch a good car fire. to dogluvr, I actually drove through the brooklyn arts district tonight on the way home. they seem to be trying pretty hard to open up new shops. the area is still pretty bad but it appears they are making an effort. I actually think that there was a consignment shop and a bar on the street now! I also think that you will be spending a good amount of time in asheville. I went over the christmas break and was blown away by the area. just a laid back town and I love mountains. (living in wilmington it had been 2 years since I had touched snow!) I plan on at least buying some land in the NC mountains. oh, by the way fortysixandtwo, you work for the federal government here? the city? the county? what do you do? I have been trying to get in with the city for a year or so...........so I can finally see what I waste my tax dollar on!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM

83 posts, read 367,620 times
Default Yea...our dog is...

...pretty amazing. She is probaby smarter than most of the people around here. I am in the circus...it is called the Wilmington Metropolitan Area. Regarding what I do...perhaps you should do a quick Google search on local...state...and federal government. I work for the federal government. Thats as specific as I will get. The job is just too good to give up...nice salary...two part retirement...FERS and The Thrift Savings Plan...(TSP)...unimaginable security and employee rights...just to name a few.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Moderator Note:

STICK TO OP QUESTIONS

Old 01-11-2008, 08:14 AM

15 posts, read 68,096 times
I am absolutely at a loss to figure out why someone would hate where they live enough to try to keep more people away, yet still live here...why? I am concerned about anyone who spews hate, and then complains that this place is full of hate.
I love Wilmington and can't imagine why it bothers you so. The natural beauty is fabulous. Why on Earth would you stay and continue to be so hateful? Not surprising you have had a lot of bad experiences. You know what they say, when a person finds something wrong with everything around them, they might want to turn their gaze internally to figure out what is wrong. I hear Apex is nice and suggest you try it.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugas01 View Post
I am absolutely at a loss to figure out why someone would hate where they live enough to try to keep more people away, yet still live here...why? I am concerned about anyone who spews hate, and then complains that this place is full of hate.
I love Wilmington and can't imagine why it bothers you so. The natural beauty is fabulous. Why on Earth would you stay and continue to be so hateful? Not surprising you have had a lot of bad experiences. You know what they say, when a person finds something wrong with everything around them, they might want to turn their gaze internally to figure out what is wrong. I hear Apex is nice and suggest you try it.
Who are you talking to?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,487 times
cdugas01 is talking to fortysixandtwo...if you have read his posts, he is NOT a fan of Wilmington

Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM

40 posts, read 229,907 times
Now......I just learned that people that move from N.Y. to Fl. and then to N.C., are called "half backs". What if you move from Fl. to N.Y., back to Fl. and then to N.C.? Are you then a "quarterback"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina