Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,487 times

Advertisements

YES! Quarterback...I love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM

83 posts, read 367,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugas01 View Post
I am absolutely at a loss to figure out why someone would hate where they live enough to try to keep more people away, yet still live here...why? I am concerned about anyone who spews hate, and then complains that this place is full of hate.
I love Wilmington and can't imagine why it bothers you so. The natural beauty is fabulous. Why on Earth would you stay and continue to be so hateful? Not surprising you have had a lot of bad experiences. You know what they say, when a person finds something wrong with everything around them, they might want to turn their gaze internally to figure out what is wrong. I hear Apex is nice and suggest you try it.
If what you intrepret what I post is hate so be it. I am only sharing my as well as many others experiences and giving people both sides of the story. Wilmington has problems...infrastructure is dreadful and falling further behind...area schools are a joke...arts and culture see the previous posts. Try to get anything repaired or built...get ready for a boatload of frustration. Once again...people seeking information on the area read this message board and should get both sides of the story. In my opinion the only people who are truely happy here are the ones who have lived here all their lives and don't know any better. BTW...I am looking forward to the day when I can get out. Talk about celebration. Until then and probably much longer...I will write the truth.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 01-11-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 8,559 times
Hello, everybody! I live in NYC and have just started actually paying serious attention to these boards in anticipation of a future move to the Carolinas. Probably in two years. Wilmington is one of the cities I am considering because of its proximity to the beach/ocean. All of the comments are helpful and I thank everybody.

I am in the process of switching to a career in graphic design and wonder about the availability of jobs in my field. Also, I enjoy taking classes and visiting museums; would be interested in knowing about Wilmington's colleges and culture.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 AM

261 posts, read 1,216,686 times
Default Well Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugas01 View Post
I am absolutely at a loss to figure out why someone would hate where they live enough to try to keep more people away, yet still live here...why? I am concerned about anyone who spews hate, and then complains that this place is full of hate.
I love Wilmington and can't imagine why it bothers you so. The natural beauty is fabulous. Why on Earth would you stay and continue to be so hateful? Not surprising you have had a lot of bad experiences. You know what they say, when a person finds something wrong with everything around them, they might want to turn their gaze internally to figure out what is wrong. I hear Apex is nice and suggest you try it.
Well said! You've got to blossom where you're planted, right?

Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 137,380 times
RE: Terrible service.......
I read somewhere on this post about the very poor quality of service/repairs in the area.
My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a home in Sneads Ferry. For our home inspection we chose a Wilmington based inspector. I have to say that he has been absolutely wonderful so far. We are currently living overseas. The long distance and time difference usually add a degree of difficulty to any business transaction but this guy has gone way above and beyond the call of duty for us.
Maybe we're just lucky but it gives me hope that there IS quality service in the area.
Anyway, if you do relocate and need a builder/inspector call David Bollenbacher at Tidewater Building Corporation.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 PM

10 posts, read 31,014 times
Default How far out of Wilmington is comfortable for a newcomer with dogs?

I am also visiting Wilmington with the thought of relocating, Dogluvr. I have a lot of dogs, all rescues from my current location on a CA Indian Reservation and they are important to me.

So, about how far away from the city does one need to get to feel welcomed as an outsider and it's easy to live a quiet, rural life and get a job in a progressive elementary school that doesn't do drill and kill and workbook after workbook.

Dogluvr, is this is in appropriate to ask here, I'll make a new query, but you seem to have a lot of folks responding.
Thank you!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM

83 posts, read 367,620 times
There are quality folks in Wilmington and congratulations to you on two fronts...being wise enough to get an inspector and getting a good one the first go around. However...there are also an inordinate amount of incompetent folks who are just looking to rip people off. I personally attribute it to the recent phase of rapid growth...we have seen it throughout mankind...whenever there is money to be made/had scammers come out of the woodwork. I hope as things continue to slow down the incompetent scammers will get shaken out of the tree. Anyway...congratulations once again.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 01-13-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Gramatical Error

Old 01-14-2008, 03:51 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Its about a 5 hour drive to the mountains of western North Carolina and about 6 to the mountains of east Tennessee/north Georgia. The closest mountains there would be like the Boone area, or north of Mt. Airy into southwest Virginia. I live in northeast TN and we are 6 hours from Wilmington. I have some photos I will post later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogluvr View Post
Hi everyone,
*How far are the closest mountains from Wilmington?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM

40 posts, read 229,907 times
Default Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Its about a 5 hour drive to the mountains of western North Carolina and about 6 to the mountains of east Tennessee/north Georgia. The closest mountains there would be like the Boone area, or north of Mt. Airy into southwest Virginia. I live in northeast TN and we are 6 hours from Wilmington. I have some photos I will post later.
Thank you so much. We haven't had a real vacation in years, so we're planning on taking a drive to the mountains after getting settled.

I still would love to know if there are any towns closer that have foothills even. It would be great to drive a couple of hours and see some greenery just for the day.

*To 4paws I don't know if there is a posting etiquette, but you are welcome to ask questions on this post. I am very grateful for the wonderful and honest responses thus far. I even booked a great hotel for our visit due to a recommendation from a poster on this thread.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
you can drive a couple of hours to greensboro to see the foothills. it's about a 3.5 hour trek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina