Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times

Advertisements

dogluvr, if you need some advice on a good trip within NC for you and you family, I can give you some! after christmas I had 11 days off from work and took the round-a-bout way from DC getting back here. western NC is great. I stayed a night in boone, and one in asheville. there are also some other good daytrips within easy reach from wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,236 times
dogluvr - let us know how your trip goes. we live in southern california and are ready for a change but need to be near the coast. we are coming out in March to take a look but would love some insight based on your visit. we are focused on the coastal communities. enjoy!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 PM

116 posts, read 532,990 times
dogluvr, I highly recommend Mt. Airy and Pilot Mtn which are just north of Greensboro. My wife and I try to get to Pilot Mtn at least once a year and take in some local hikes. Mt. Airy is a fun place to wander around, it is the birth place of Andy Griffith and they really take that to heart. Every year they have Mayberry Days which is a weekend long Andy Griffith show festival.

One reason we make the trip each year is to stay at a B&B just outside the Pilot Mtn park. It's a fun place and the folks there are wonderful.

The B&B that we like:
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina Bed and Breakfast Inn - Pilot Knob Inn Bed & Breakfast - Pilot Mountain Lodging - Directions to our Place

The link for Mayberry Days:
Mount Airy, North Carolina Tourism in the state of NC (broken link)

Pilot Mntn info:
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Pilot Mountain State Park

Old 01-20-2008, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 31,010 times
Thank you, Dogluvr, as well as for the informative email. I'm acting on it!
Which hotel? I'll be over there in two weeks.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM

4paws, depends where you want to stay and how much you want to spend. downtown there is the best western coastline, and the hilton. try to avoid staying at most of the places on market street. it is pretty ghetto for about 15 blocks and that is where the major hotel chains are. there are also a few places in mayfaire, but mayfaire is just a big planned shopping community.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM

40 posts, read 229,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4paws View Post
Thank you, Dogluvr, as well as for the informative email. I'm acting on it!
Which hotel? I'll be over there in two weeks.
jmarquise recommended the best western. it looks cute, clean and reasonably priced for the area Wilmington NC hotel the Best Western Coastline Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&CB View Post
dogluvr - let us know how your trip goes. we live in southern california and are ready for a change but need to be near the coast. we are coming out in March to take a look but would love some insight based on your visit. we are focused on the coastal communities. enjoy!
Absolutely! I plan on taking lots of pictures and will post some when we return. What city are you in? I stayed out there in Long Beach for awhile and loved the vibe, it's just gotten so expensive. My sister-in-law lives in O.C. proper and has her PhD., and still has a difficult time living "comfortably". We're looking forward to checking out Wilmington, from what we've heard and read it sounds like a great fit for us. I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
dogluvr, I highly recommend Mt. Airy and Pilot Mtn which are just north of Greensboro. My wife and I try to get to Pilot Mtn at least once a year and take in some local hikes.
Thanks for the links.....what an adorable B&B, exactly the type of place we'd like to get away to for a few days!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,640 times
Default What questions?

We have lived here in Wilmington since 12/10/07 . We love it! I'd be happy to answer any of your questions. The first is ...yes...were from LI NY

Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 PM

103 posts, read 899,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLSKOOL72 View Post
Do yourself a favor and by-pass Wilmington. I'm sure I'll get hammered for this, but I will give you my opinion. I'am in my mid-30's, wife & one small child, I'm also a small business owner here in Wilmington, right up from the Mayfair actually. Most people that enjoy wilmington are the older, more fortunate transplants, that leave the north east with there wad of cash from there $700,000 home sale, find a quaint neighborhood, spend $350k on a house, and relax on the rest, never leave there little area, life is good, they may golf, but thats it! They think its WONDERFUL!!! What a croc!! Wilmington is a drug infested, crime haven, filled with weirdo natives, racial tension, and terrible schools. The beach?? Old red-neck fisherman or wild drunk collage kids in the summer. 4th street?? Great if your a crack addict or looking for people wanting crack. Don't believe me?? Check out city comparisions on sperlings best places to live.net. Its all there. One of the highest crime areas per-capita in the US. The only town worse than here is maybe myrtle beach. Need cultrure? Better head way up I-95 NORTH!
You are correct that the crackheads stand on the corners of 4th and 5th streets, so please stay away from there. I know, because I am from Wilmington. Alas, the schools aren't that good at all. New Hanover High School is a joke. I would put the kids in private school. UNCW is a good college thoug. I went there.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:44 PM

103 posts, read 899,732 times
Wilmington is a lovely place, but it is getting too congested. Most of the people who move here are from New York, so it would be like you are moving next door. My mother works at Cooperative Bank here in town, and most of the mortgage loan applications that she goes through are people who are leaving New York. Therefore, you should feel right at home. There are things to do, but the schools aren't good at all. I still love it even if I mention the negative.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:52 AM

yup, too many people from NY and new jersey. that is why I am moving away again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina