U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,716 times

Advertisements

I was just reading about Wilmington as my husband is considering a job there. Hmmm.... posts about Wilmington give us a lot to consider.
I did read a lot of comparisons with Asheville though and had to put in my two cents. We lived there from 1989-1999 and saw Asheville deteriorate a great deal during that time. We have gone back to visit frequently and have seen things have gotten even worse. We loved Asheville for the outdoor sports-kayaking, camping, hiking, rock climbing, etc. but the negatives were too much and we left in 1999. A lot of crime-we lived in North Asheville (Norwood Park) and our home was broken into during daylight hours and we were robbed, the water department has serious issues (old delapidated system and very expensive water bills), you can't enjoy a cultural event downtown without panhandlers in your face and drugged out people laying in the parks and streets after 9:00 p.m., Asheville City Schools were the pits...we finally had to go the private school route.
It has also become an extremely expensive housing market. We purchased our home (built in 1918) and in good shape for $83K, sold it for $190K after making some extensive renos to it, and it recently sold for $450K without any changes or renovations!
Asheville is a dog friendly town but that's about all it has going for it, unless you like crystal, pipe and hemp shops. (not our thing) We found the city culture changed so much it just wasn't a good fit for our family.
Good luck to you Doglvr but I wouldn't recommend Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 40,139 times
Dogluvr, I don't mean to but in on your thread, we (me,wife,three boys) are looking for a place to move near the coast with sub trop climate, we have been living in Bend Oregon for the last 8 years and are ready for a change. To all you folks who miss snow, I've got about three feet in the yard right now, you can have all of it. We've looked at the Oregon coast which is beautiful, but it gets about 200+inches of rain a year and rarely gets above 55 degrees year round. I want heat!! lots of it and I want ocean temps that I don't need a ten mil wetsuit to get in. My main question is what/where are the good family neighborhoods(close to the beach) and reasonable distance to downtown. I worked in the film industry for ten years but have just built and fixed up houses here in Bend for the last 6 years so I imagine getting work fixing up beach houses isn't going to be hard there. We've sold our last few properties here and are ready to start looking . We have incredible coffee and microbrews here so I am hoping to continue my love affair with fine coffee and beer in NC. I am looking for input from the haters as well as the lovers it takes all to get a good read. We are in our mid thirties and are very active (snowboard,ski,mountain bike,surf,moto-x) the kids are 3,7,11 all boys. I lived at the beach for 5 years in SO CAl and want these boys to get a good experience in beach life. I can't wait to surf again (and not worry about great whites) We are originally from Valley Forge Pa but left there long ago, I've been told it's about 7 hours drive to Philly, which is close enough to the homeland and family for us. A word of advice to you Southerners that don't like the NJ/NYorkers just tell those abrasive ba%$#rd's to shut the f45ck up!! LOL that's just how they communicate. I have to say it's exciting to hear about all these cultures clashing in a funky little place like Wilmington. Lets hear the comments. Thanks again Patrick and family

Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,356,646 times
hey patrick. I have some answers for you. first off, I want people to understand that it does get cold here. we have had several days here in the teens. this isn't florida! did you ask about the good neighborhoods?? man, that is the calling card for all the bored real estate agents in this area to chime in. it's quite annoying! it really depends on what is important to you in a neighborhood. location isn't really that big of a deal as no matter where you are in town, anything is reachable in 10 minutes. this place is small. I prefer some of the older neighborhoods around here. depends on how much you want to spend too. forest hills is my favorite but it's a bit overpriced. also it's pretty close to downtown so you would be sending your kids to new hanover high school which I have heard isn't good. if I had kids around here, they would go to private school anyway. then you have the subdivisions around here which I can't stand. most of them are cookie cutter homes with no trees. they are also very small too. you can probably find work here but you have to realize that the housing market is creeping along here as it is in a lot of places. so finding work might not be quite as easy as you might think. they have their own coffee chain here which is ok. port city java. there is also a pretty good microbrew. front street brewery. you are actually in luck if you like to ski and snowboard. NC has the tallest mountains of any state on the east coast and they do actually get some snow! you don't have to worry about great whites here but we got plenty of tiger sharks! shark attacks here are super rare though. most sharks can't stand the way new yorkers taste! I wouldn't plan on getting to phili in any less than 8 hours. that traffic on 95 between DC and phili is horrible. us southerners? there are no southerners in wilmington. they all moved away! wilmington is 65% NY/NJ, 15%DC, 19% ohio, 1% other. every place has good and bad but for me, I am planning on leaving here soon. it grew too fast and they have done nothing to keep up with the growth. they can put up a housing development in 15 minutes but when they went to widen military cuttoff road, it took them like 3 years. it's pathetic! wilmington was much nicer 10 years ago.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 AM

14 posts, read 40,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
hey patrick. I have some answers for you. first off, I want people to understand that it does get cold here. we have had several days here in the teens. this isn't florida! did you ask about the good neighborhoods?? man, that is the calling card for all the bored real estate agents in this area to chime in. it's quite annoying! it really depends on what is important to you in a neighborhood. location isn't really that big of a deal as no matter where you are in town, anything is reachable in 10 minutes. this place is small. I prefer some of the older neighborhoods around here. depends on how much you want to spend too. forest hills is my favorite but it's a bit overpriced. also it's pretty close to downtown so you would be sending your kids to new hanover high school which I have heard isn't good. if I had kids around here, they would go to private school anyway. then you have the subdivisions around here which I can't stand. most of them are cookie cutter homes with no trees. they are also very small too. you can probably find work here but you have to realize that the housing market is creeping along here as it is in a lot of places. so finding work might not be quite as easy as you might think. they have their own coffee chain here which is ok. port city java. there is also a pretty good microbrew. front street brewery. you are actually in luck if you like to ski and snowboard. NC has the tallest mountains of any state on the east coast and they do actually get some snow! you don't have to worry about great whites here but we got plenty of tiger sharks! shark attacks here are super rare though. most sharks can't stand the way new yorkers taste! I wouldn't plan on getting to phili in any less than 8 hours. that traffic on 95 between DC and phili is horrible. us southerners? there are no southerners in wilmington. they all moved away! wilmington is 65% NY/NJ, 15%DC, 19% ohio, 1% other. every place has good and bad but for me, I am planning on leaving here soon. it grew too fast and they have done nothing to keep up with the growth. they can put up a housing development in 15 minutes but when they went to widen military cuttoff road, it took them like 3 years. it's pathetic! wilmington was much nicer 10 years ago.
Thanks alot Jmarquise , I appreciate your advice, the problems with Wilmington that you describe are exactly the same things happening with Bend except for the fact that we are innundated with Southern Californians instead of Noreaster's. I understand it gets cold there and I do want some sort of a winter just not 8+months of it. I was told by a realtor there that the Hampstead area had better schools and more family neighborhoods. I do have a question for you if you think Wilmington is done what is the next best beach town to live in? Are there any small towns that are livable further North near the OB? It looks to me that Wilmington is the only city on the coast there. It sounds like Charleston is a crime infested area, my Dad visited there a few years ago and said that he liked Wilmington much better.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM

I can't really talk too much without sounding like a hypocrite. I am not from here. I am from the DC area. however, I did go to school here in the 90's and liked it much better. the population was half of what it is now. wow, a real estate agent provided good information? that's shocking! I have also heard that the schools in hampstead and all of pender county are better. the good and bad about hampstead is that it's pretty far from downtown. probably 25-30 minutes in normal traffic. maybe a little less though since they opened up the MLK parkway. however the good is that you have the pender county beaches. the ones in wilmington like wrightsville are so packed in season that no locals go there anymore. every time I went last summer, it was to topsail. crowded, but not like wrightsville! oh, and if you want some unbias advice about real estate or the market, let me know. I am not a real estate agent and I know first hand that the ones down here aren't very good! the only towns I can think of right off the bat would be new bern, morehead city, and elizabeth city. not sure how livable they would be though because you would miss out on a lot of the culture that a bigger city has. I wouldn't say that wilmington is done. it just needs to do a better job of keeping a sense of historical pride. town pride has disappeared, but that makes sense because it's not really a hometown for most of the people here. avoid charleston if you like to surf. the city is beautiful but the beaches there have NO waves at all! I am sure that the norfolk/VA beach area would be too big. but if not, that isn't a bad place. tons for families to do. beach, history, amusement parks!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,493 times
I'm a little nervous. I am moving to Wilmington in month and a lot of the posts have been about crime. Is this just pockets or everywhere?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:51 PM

it is pockets. it is like any other place. there are a lot of nice places to live.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM

63 posts, read 166,629 times
I am considering moving from Michigan To North Carolina (not one of those with a wad of cash though) I am considering Wilmington, Asheville, or the Raleigh area. I am in my 30's with a wife and 4 children. I am moving to get a job as a teacher and my wife is a nurse, we want a safe area with great schools and a lot to offer entertainment wise. We are moving from the Detroit area so we were looking for a slower, more relaxing lifestyle (#1 on the most violent cities 4 out of 6 years is enough for us). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,642,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
it is pockets. it is like any other place. there are a lot of nice places to live.
I agree that it is in pockets, and that there are a lot of nice places to live.

I disagree that it is like any other place. I've found that the crime patterns of Wilmington are very different than the other southern cities I've lived in.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 AM

61 posts, read 269,732 times
I'll soon be one of these transplanted New Yorkers coming to Wilmington, actually from western NY (as the handle states) Likely will be moving down in late March.

we were there last week house hunting and I can tell you when we left we drove to our daughters house which is right across the Turnpike from Valley Forge in Wayne PA. (Can't get much closer than that) and we left about 7:50 and got there around 5:10 This was on a Saturday, hit some traffic, maybe lost 10 to 15 minutes just north of DC, stopped for 45 minutes for lunch etc. I'd say total actual driving time was about 8 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina