U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times

Advertisements

another personal attack on someone for asking an honest question and looking for advice. nice. hurricanes are an issue here. I can guarantee you that more people die from hurricanes than die from freezing to death in an ice storm. wilmington is not tropical. it was in the 50's yesterday and we had weeks of weather in the single digits and teens. anyone who thinks that they are escaping cold weather by coming here is mistaken. winter doesn't last as long, but it's here........trust me. as for the effect of hurricanes and tropical storms in this area, tropical storm ernesto cost me $600 in flood damage. that is another thing to consider. if purchasing a home here, you must have flood insurance if you are in a flood zone and you are required to have wind and hail insurance. that on top of the 11% property tax increase that was just passed by the city of wilmington. just some things to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Having lived on, or close to the coast for most of my life, I really have to laugh when people start asking us about Hurricanes. Yes we have them, but we don't live in Boston, and there you will find horrendous winters. It really is a trade off, and I would much rather be living in a tropical environment than freezing to death in an ice storm. Our weather tracking system has gotten to the point where you only have to listen to what is reported, prepare if necessary and wait it out. Common sense will prevail, and this is not a personal attack, but get a grip, please. Your best option is to get a frigging map, look at areas that don't jut out into the ocean , and you'll be fine. Enough with the hurricanes already. Please stay in Boston, hey, isn't that on the coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
Default We live in Port Washington, NY in Long Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinster59 View Post
We have lived here in Wilmington since 12/10/07 . We love it! I'd be happy to answer any of your questions. The first is ...yes...were from LI NY

Hello we are looking to move down south to NC and do not want to be land locked like Wilmington but a little hesistant about the crime and drugs are kids are young: 10 and 4 and attend Catholic schools here.?

We have lots of questions and want to make sure this will be the right place for us?

Thanks for you quick reply.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
OLSkOO72 you won't get hammered when you speak the truth. You are exactly right. The only people who like it...for now... are the transplants from the north with a wad of cash. In my opinion they are what make this place a hate fest. Everyone is on the defensive from the streets to the shops. You go into a place like Lowes and the staff has been worked over by a condescending arrogant smuck with the wad of cash and holier than thou attitude. You are patient and nice but they are already beaten and you get rotten service and attitude. I feel for those people. Same thing with common courtesy...you hold the door for one person they say thanks...the next one here has the attitude of why don't you wash my car while you are at it? Same thing on the streets...if you let one person out in traffic more try to take advantage of it. I hate that it has come to this...but as a rule I don't hold the door or let anyone out in traffic here anymore.
You are spot on regarding the crime...something going on daily and growing. Infrastructure is horrible...how about all the sewer problems in Wilmington. Outside of town many places still do not have city or county water where you are relegated to an iron laced well that is probably contaminated from pig farms (Smithfield) upstream. And the job market...I will save that for a seperate post. Hope to talk to you more olskool...I am thinking about starting a website to inform people more. www.wilmingtonblows.com (broken link)
It's EXACTLY the same in SW Florida. The transplants from the NE came here & are doing the same thing. Crime is twice as bad as it used to be. They are rude, drive like idiots (tailgating, road rage, etc),& are always bragging about where they are from & how much better everything is up there. Also, they talk real loud so everyone can hear their yankee accent. They think EVERYONE here is from somewhere else, & when you tell them you were born & raised here, they say they feel sorry for you . Real ignorant people, for sure.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 19,033 times
I posted this in the other Wilmington threads also please help. About 50 percent of the time here there are toxic smells in the air. I am researching, trying to find out the industry that is producing the toxins. I have never lived in an area that has so many toxic air and water pollution releases. Doesn't anyone but me notice the discusting toxic air and water in and around Wilmington? WAKE UP PEOPLE THEY ARE RUINING THIS TOWN RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Most of the politicians are corrupt and are getting paid off to attract high polluting industry at the health expense of us and our childen. The DAQ is also corrupt and allows it all to happen. After Carolina Cement/Titan opens the plant in Wilmington this area will be nearly as toxic as Elizabeth/Newark New Jersey. Get pissed like me and lets oust the corrupt Pirates out of office and do our best to get good people who support the interests of the working families who will protect and repair the environment (if it's not too late). I like the people here, they are good people for the most part. Too bad this area had/has potential to be a nice coastal city instead it's turning into a toxic waste port. I am also trying to leave because of pollution and corrupt politicians who are ruining this town. Donate to Stop Titan.org. fight now don't just sit there and let gov't and big business screw us again and again. No offense to others, I'm not a beach person because of the depleated o-zone you can't go out without gettings the beginings of skin cancer, so what you have left is strip malls. To me that is not really beautiful. You want beautiful visit the Adarondacs in NY. FIGHT NOW STOP TITAN FOR STARTERS. Don't say I didn't warn you

Old 10-16-2010, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,539 times
What the hell man. Stop posting this nonsense all over the place. Depending on where you live and how the wind is blowing, occasionally you can smell the waste treatment plant north of downtown, and sometimes the paper plant further north of that. You are not inhaling toxins. While some of our local politicos are definitely morons, big business is not paying anyone off. The water is CLEAN. Not the river of course, there's something like sixty communities upstream that dump into it. You apparently can't stand it here so stop the hate-mongering and move off to a cave somewhere. At least then your cave painting ramblings won't be found for a while. This is a terrific coastal community, but like a previous poster said, you are going to see what you want to see, no matter where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina