U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 PM

156 posts, read 848,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwas View Post
This is one of the things that concerns me about leaving Eastern Long Island, where I have lived most of my life. I love the farms and clean beaches out here, yet it's close enough to NYC to access cosmopolitan life when you want. However, the cost of living here has spiraled out of control, and teaching jobs are hard to find. We have been considering the Wilmington area as an option, though it is hard to get a real feel for an area just based on numbers. Is Wilmington an artistic community, since I am also a painter?
I am from Mt. Sinai NY and am moving to Wilmington next week.. I find it reminds me alot of L.I but just not as pretty as say the North Shore.. Not alot of " Village" atmosphere either.. Small walking boardwalk on the river..I wouldn't say it's an artistic community, But I am not qualified to really make that call.. Overall.. It is nice..Some good restaurants.. Lot's of shopping and a pretty nice beach.. Much cheaper then here in L.I.. I am giving it a shot..I really don't like the trees.. Very baren looking skinny pines.. But what can you do? LOL. L.I will always be here.. Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,279,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
I am from Mt. Sinai NY and am moving to Wilmington next week.. I find it reminds me alot of L.I but just not as pretty as say the North Shore.. Not alot of " Village" atmosphere either.. Small walking boardwalk on the river..I wouldn't say it's an artistic community, But I am not qualified to really make that call.. Overall.. It is nice..Some good restaurants.. Lot's of shopping and a pretty nice beach.. Much cheaper then here in L.I.. I am giving it a shot..I really don't like the trees.. Very baren looking skinny pines.. But what can you do? LOL. L.I will always be here.. Good Luck!!
Hey, at least those pine trees are green in the winter! What about the live oaks with the Spanish moss hanging on them? You've gotta love those. And the little palm trees....I find that the climate here makes up for a lot of other things that the area may be lacking, I'm from Boston and I hated that climate all my life.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
I have lived in Tennesee most of my life...the Knoxville area and Nashville. I have also lived in Ashveille and Bismarck North Dakota...all of which I would place well ahead of this area. I came here via transfer/promotion with my company. I did my due diligence before applying for this area but there are things you cannot glean from just numbers...atmosphere...culture...etc. That is why I am here on this board...to offer more insight to others who might be considering the area. I know several who feel the same as I do. For some it may be great and I hope it is...but for many it is not...and I want people to realize its not just deep blue water and pristine sand...if it is that.
You lived in the "armpit" of TN (Knoxville) and you don't like Wilmington?

WOW!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,717,304 times
[quote=dsobotta;2448973]Moderator cut: the referring post has been either edited or deleted quote]

BEAUTIFUL pic! We want to move close to the beach for retirement (quite a few years away, but will be here before you know it).

We thought we wanted to go to South Florida, but after encountering so many rude people in the FL forums and in person while visiting, we are re-thinking!

We have thought about Wilmington, but some people have posted bad things about Wilmington. Coming from Charlotte, traffic, crime, etc doesn't concern us to much. Sounds like Wilmington is going thru what Charlotte has gone thru for 20 years. Hoefully things will turn around for Wilmington! Seems like a beautiful city when you are a visitor.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-08-2008 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 03:18 PM

217 posts, read 1,031,550 times
7 oh 4, don't be discouraged. There are MANY friendly people in Wilmington We hope to see you here some day!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 15,291 times
Haha!! I have to agree with a couple things in the post: the first being contractors... there does tend to be a bad habit of contractors not returning calls/not showing up for jobs, but that's everywhere in NC. My mom had THE WORST time getting house repairs done recently in Clayton, outside of Raleigh. I suppose you just have to find a good contractor and stick with him! The second thing is the carolina pines. They really are ugly, but darn it, the palm trees sure do make up for it!!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:56 PM

22 posts, read 46,881 times
fortysixandtwo-- my husband and I have been trying to move to wilmington or carolina beach for two years now. we have visited the area several times now and just do not see it as you do. what you are describing, however is where we currently live---California. It is a trash dump. It is a crime-ridden state and let's not even talk about the traffic! Californians are stressed. Road-rage is part of daily life here. We found NC very clean. I took lots of random pics and you can not find trash anywhere in the pics. The NC beaches far surpass the beauty of CA beaches. The last time we visited NC in november, we were looking to buy a house. The people there were very friendly and treated us like old friends. We have been searching for such a place as NC to call home and shame on you for not being grateful for what you have. Perhaps you should look elsewhere for your Paradise. As for me and my husband we hope to fulfill our dream in the next few months---leave california and find peace and friends in NC.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,612 times
I moved to Southport from San Diego a year ago. What a culture shock, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I considered moving to Wilmington, but it would have been too much like still being in a big city. To the man who moved to Wilmington from Tennessee, there are pros and cons to every situation---get over it! I have a problem finding organic and healthy foods here, but whenever I find them---they are a lot cheaper than the prices I paid in San Diego. Every time I pull into a parking space, I miss the San Diego area less and less. North Carolina is beautiful country!
ASquare Lunch Basket Catering

Old 01-19-2008, 06:21 PM

83 posts, read 332,883 times
Your definition of trash must be very different from mine. Just last week the prisoners were cleaning up HWY 17...like they do frequently and by the end of the week you coundn't even tell. It is really a shame. We used to pick up trash on our street along with another couple but we have just given up. I will admit this is a problem everywhere though...not just here.

As I stated in earlier posts...I can't compare the beaches with others...I just know there are cigarette butts...seaweed...and dog poop all over the place here. Try to park at Wrightsville Beach in season...good luck.

Traffic...also as I stated in a earlier post...New Hanover County is the most dangerous county in North Carolina...statistics prove it. Now that is saying something when you have Charlotte...Raleigh and other urban areas.

As far as the nice people...well you might get lucky or perhaps this was the real estate agent who is your best friend...for now.

Contractors and repairmen...forget about it.

Numerous red flags here...first you have not experienced the real Wilmington...second...if something sounds too good to be true it probably is. Remember those words of wisdom. If it starts out great...which it obviously has for you...it can only go downhill from here. Trust me it will.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 01-19-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 PM

22 posts, read 46,881 times
why are you still there fortysixandtwo? what keeps you in NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina