U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:29 PM

14 posts, read 108,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
I can't speak for California...and I know in general it is bad everywhere...and last but not least I am not a wordly traveler by any stretch of the imagination...but this is the worst place I have experienced as far as reliable repairmen/dependability/customer service. The place grew too fast...too many folks wanting service and too few competent people.

My first experience...I called Charter Cable daily to come out...begging them to take my money...this went on for two weeks and I gave up. Went with DirecTV. Three months later...they show up literally at the front door.

My second experience...the roofing guy who shows up to fix the same problem he didn't fix the first time and has the audacity to hand me the same outrageous bill.

Several folks who didn't bother to show up or even call back. My neighbor...a middle aged divorced woman...can tell you horror stories about the folks...who bother to show up...giving her ridicilous prices because she is a woman and doesn't know any better. I can go on and on. I wish we could start a board or maybe a thread here where we could post recommendations and feedback for local services. What say you SunnyKayak? This would be a tremendous asset.

Anyway...here is what you do...for those of you who are thinking about relocating to the area...since I'm sure you have extra minutes on your cellphone account...call up some folks...fence...plumbers...HVAC folks...cable...anything else. See how many call you back. Good luck.
I was looking for a summer home for my parents close to the beach outside of FL and CA and came accross this interesting post. I have never been to Wilmington, but after reading more and more about the city in the posts, I find it more and more attractive.
The description of the city given by fortysixandtwo offers at least 4 business opportunities, to say the least... Folks that are handy can open a fence installation, plumbing, HVAC and cable installation companies and hire help within the city. I also see opportunities to contract work from the city gov-t to clean up the beach and offer various amenities on/close to the beach. This way you would solve some problems right away, or at least start working on them. You've mentioned garbage in one of your posts. So, you can look at this as another opportunity: creation of the garbage cans and it's installment. If the local company can't/will not/ too expansive to pick up garbage, then you found your self another business opportunity- garbage collection. In some parts of the country garbage collection is an incredibly priviledged and profitable business- Just ask Italians from Brooklyn, NY. :-)
I believe it is easier to look at a glass as half full rather than half empty. Life is easier and happier this way. Don't you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 PM

525 posts, read 1,153,146 times
It's actually not the most expensive place to live in NC, either. Maybe from a statistical standpoint it is, because New Hanover County includes the properties right along the beach which are of course ridiculous. But for your average 3 or 4 bedroom single family home, Asheville is far more expensive.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 PM

419 posts, read 1,242,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
I can't speak for California...and I know in general it is bad everywhere...and last but not least I am not a wordly traveler by any stretch of the imagination...but this is the worst place I have experienced as far as reliable repairmen/dependability/customer service. The place grew too fast...too many folks wanting service and too few competent people.

My first experience...I called Charter Cable daily to come out...begging them to take my money...this went on for two weeks and I gave up. Went with DirecTV. Three months later...they show up literally at the front door.

My second experience...the roofing guy who shows up to fix the same problem he didn't fix the first time and has the audacity to hand me the same outrageous bill.

Several folks who didn't bother to show up or even call back. My neighbor...a middle aged divorced woman...can tell you horror stories about the folks...who bother to show up...giving her ridicilous prices because she is a woman and doesn't know any better. I can go on and on. I wish we could start a board or maybe a thread here where we could post recommendations and feedback for local services. What say you SunnyKayak? This would be a tremendous asset.

Anyway...here is what you do...for those of you who are thinking about relocating to the area...since I'm sure you have extra minutes on your cellphone account...call up some folks...fence...plumbers...HVAC folks...cable...anything else. See how many call you back. Good luck.
Perhaps its you. If the messages you leave for these service providers are half as gloomy as your posts, I'm not surprised that they don't call you back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina