U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:47 PM

83 posts, read 333,107 times

Advertisements

If you are considering Wilmington NC and have a choice...better reconsider. Some of the following I have observed since living here:
Traffic is horrible...very agressive drivers...no long waits on interstates...just agressive drivers. At least three elements make in more dangerous than most...elderly drivers/retirement folks...tourists who don't know their way around...and young agressive drivers from nearby Camp Lajune.
No natural beauty sans the beach. Its better known as Pine Tree Heaven...no fall color to speak of and the litter on the streets. I mean litter is a problem everywhere but here...the prisoners pick it up one day and one week later it is covered again. By the way...the beaches are covered in cigarette butts and dog poop...as well as a nasty seaweed (Sargasso?) much of the time.
It is impossible to get anything repaired for your home. Dependable repair folks are few and far between. Only about half will return your call...half of them won't show up...half of them are out to *********...leaving the rest.

Much more to come people. I'm just getting started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM

217 posts, read 1,032,165 times
Hi Fortysixandtwo. Just curious where you moved from and what brought you to the area?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 AM

I have lived in Tennesee most of my life...the Knoxville area and Nashville. I have also lived in Ashveille and Bismarck North Dakota...all of which I would place well ahead of this area. I came here via transfer/promotion with my company. I did my due diligence before applying for this area but there are things you cannot glean from just numbers...atmosphere...culture...etc. That is why I am here on this board...to offer more insight to others who might be considering the area. I know several who feel the same as I do. For some it may be great and I hope it is...but for many it is not...and I want people to realize its not just deep blue water and pristine sand...if it is that.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM

116 posts, read 489,815 times
Default Disagree fortysixandtwo

I moved to Wilmington nearly 7 years ago from the Washington DC metro area. I've recently moved to Carolina Beach and have nothing but good things to say about both places.

The traffic has increased but the congestion is only a minor nuisance compared to most other places. As for aggressive driving, well lets just say there is zero comparison when looking at the DC area.

As for getting various services in this town, I noticed a HUGE difference between here and every other place I've ever resided, in Wilmington, most service folks actually take pride in their work and will give you an honest and fair price. We had a custom home house built in Carolina Beach and every single person involved with the construction phase was fantastic. I was extremely impressed with the craftsmanship as well as folk's work ethic to get the job done on schedule.

As for the beaches, I've noticed no more issues here than with other beach areas. Although, compared to beach communities that have banned smoking on the beach, the occasional butts are an eye sore. Maybe someday, Wilmington area beaches will join the growing list of beach communities that curb or ban smoking on the beach.

I'm sorry you don't like it here, but IMO, you reasoning is way off mark.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 AM

My reasoning is right on the mark. Regarding traffic...as I stated in my initial post...no long delays like major metropolitian areas...just very dangerous and the numbers back it up. New Hanover County has the highest accident rate per capita in North Carolina.

As for services...my reasoning is right on the mark again. We had a fence built...the first guy we called never showed up...the second company gave us a quote that was three times the next guy and we finally got someone to do it. Later we find out the second company...the one who had the ridicilously high offer had the strategy of if I am going to do this job...I am going to make a killing so I don't care if they take the offer or not.

Similar story with a roof repairman we had out. He didn't fix the leak correctly the first time...and charged an arm and a leg. So I had him come out again and he had the audacity to give me the bill again. I balked and he went on his merry way. His strategy was well I am going to try to ********** guy over and if he takes the bait sorry for him...if he doesn't nothing lost.

I could site other examples with a plumber and a well repairman but I think you get the picture. Obviously you have had better experiences than I have and that is great. I know services are touch and go anywhere but I truely believe it is worse here. Once again a function of the rapid growth. Not enough competent folks to meet the needs. And others are just jumping in to make a quick buck hosing people. We haven't had a major storm since the last phase of rapid growth...when we do...these scam artists and incompetent bums are going to make a killing around here...that is when it will get real ugly.

I can't speak about other beaches in other parts of the country...but the few times I have been here all I remember are cigarette butts...dog dung...and seaweed. Those may be staples at other beaches I don't know.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 PM

92 posts, read 196,164 times
There is an old saying "love it or leave it". If you don't like a town, city, or area, leave it. Life is way too short to be completely miserable. Perhaps there is a place which will please each one of us; and perhaps not. Some people are happy anywhere, others are miserable everywhere. Good luck to all.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,444,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
...and I want people to realize its not just deep blue water and pristine sand...if it is that.
It's not Key West and I would bet everyone who moves there knows that.

As far as traffic goes, get over it or get a helicopter.

As more people move to a town/city, the traffic will continuously get worse/heavier. This leads to people p|ssing and moaning about careless drivers, idiots, inexperienced drivers, etc. It's not going to get better unless cities just stop accepting outsiders. And we know that isn't going to happen.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 26,124 times
This is one of the things that concerns me about leaving Eastern Long Island, where I have lived most of my life. I love the farms and clean beaches out here, yet it's close enough to NYC to access cosmopolitan life when you want. However, the cost of living here has spiraled out of control, and teaching jobs are hard to find. We have been considering the Wilmington area as an option, though it is hard to get a real feel for an area just based on numbers. Is Wilmington an artistic community, since I am also a painter?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 AM

564 posts, read 1,341,103 times
Default Southport maybe?

Being somewhat familiar with the east end of LI, I am wondering if Southport might be more of what you are looking for.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 26,124 times
Aphorista~I will certainly check out any areas, and I appreciate the input! It's hard to find another "home for the heart".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina