U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,825 times

Advertisements

Hello Fellow Commenters,
I am living in the Northeast and working out of the US but am looking for great places to live when I eventually do return, and am very interested in Wilmington. I've lived in the north all of my life except for doing my graduate degree at NCSU in Raleigh. I have a sense of what Raleigh, Durham, and RTP were like in the 90's, and liked them. I do, however, love the sea, and would like to live near the coast without having a significant winter. it is also important for me to have lots of music in my life (I am a life long chorister), an active church (denomination open), some groups that might welcome me as a volunteer, and an interesting intellectual life (I know that UN-Wilmington is in town). Basically, I want to live in a city by the sea that is affordable, diverse and fun. I am black, and also want to have a social life in diverse communities (including all types of people with diverse ethnicities, ages, and viewpoints, liberal to conservative); I don't plan to retire anytime soon, and so am looking for a professional and educated workforce, and, a stable economy.

Can you tell me a bit about the following ?

1. I hear that Sunset Park is an up and coming area in Wilmington; I am willing to purchase and put in my own elbow grease to make a place like I would like it to be. Any suggestions ?

2. I have also heard about areas surrounding Wilmington with reasonable housing prices, a little land, and up and coming. What area would you suggest ?

3. I learned from reading this blog that there is lots of country nearby - I would not mind one day having dairy goats and 1 - 2 milking cows (my favorite breed: Jerseys). Where would you suggest as a great county to do this ?

I would appreciate any and all comments provided, and hope that you all have a fun week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:20 AM

11,102 posts, read 18,718,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious black professor View Post

2. I have also heard about areas surrounding Wilmington with reasonable housing prices, a little land, and up and coming. What area would you suggest ?

3. I learned from reading this blog that there is lots of country nearby - I would not mind one day having dairy goats and 1 - 2 milking cows (my favorite breed: Jerseys). Where would you suggest as a great county to do this ?
I am glad to hear of your interest in Wilmington, however, I don't have insight into Sunset Park or the black community. I think if you subscribe to the Wilmington Star-News, online or print, that you could read of many musical events which would interest you.

As far a surrounding communities, I'd suggest Duplin County, Maple Hill in Pender Co, parts of Onslow County (like Richlands) or distant parts of Brunswick Counties as suitable for raising dairy animals. There are farmers markets in Wilmington where you could sell cheese. (BTW, there are wineries and berry farms in these areas also.)

Old 11-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Thank you very much goldenage1 - these are all new areas to me and I will look into them !

Old 11-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Smile Thank you !

Thank you goldenage1 for the suggestions - these are new areas to me, and I will explore further.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 PM

12 posts, read 15,581 times
I attended graduate school at UNCW for 2 years, hopefully I could share the academic piece that you mentioned. UNCW overall is a great school that cares about the students welfare and growth, and still trying to keep the cost and fee low. Depends on what your area is, UNCW has very good Marine Biology program, known across the country or maybe worldwide. Some of the other good programs are Creative Writing, Nursing and Business as well.
I think you will fit in well in the community, with the diverse viewpoints and backgrounds that you are looking for. I met a lot of people from the Northeast,mainly NY, NJ, CT and some from California, as well as NC natives,with wide different beliefs from very social liberal to conservative, agnostic, new age to speaking in tongues. You could find an active church from different denominations to even the non denomination ones, that have different worship styles, I am sure there is one that would cater to your liking. There are free concerts and street fairs around town in the summer, and UNCW has great cultural programs and art performances throughout the year. I left Wilmington because the young professional scene is very limited, but with your academic establishment, you will be fine. The demographics in Wilmington are mainly college kids, retirees and family with kids. Most of the young people I met work in service industry and some in Banking and Pharmaceuticals. Feel free to PM me if you want any detailed info or have any questions.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:54 AM

Default Great insights

Thank you Freshgraduate09, and I really appreciate your insights on the local scene. It also sounds as though you had a good experience here, so I would urge you not to lose contact with this area as you progress in your career and life. Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina