U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,688 times

Advertisements

I am friends with a former Brunswick County teacher. She has nothing but bad things to say about her experiences working there. She's in New Hanover now, and much happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 23,478 times
Default So sorry

I am so sorry that you are enduring such backwards attitude. I am a native North Carolinian, so I hope that is not indicative of all of us (from your experience). I did not run into much of the North-South thing in Charlotte (where I am from). We are trying to adjust, and so far so good. Mnay at the high school have been very welcoming. I do hope your experience gets better. What a shame......

Quote:
Originally Posted by max5 View Post
I currently have one child in the Shallotte Middle School and I find that the education and oversight at the school are poor. I will say that I have met some excellent teachers there but I find that the attitude in the school is to "get through" not progress. I agree with your statement about poverty and being originally from the North, I can't believe that the focus today in SMS is dropping out and teen pregnancy (I won't even go into drugs and I am originally from an urban area). I have been reading much literature from the school and find it depressing myself. Also, so much for southern hospitality, I have encountered quite a bit of hositility for myself, my spouse and my children. The few people that I have encountered that are originally from Brunswick county have made it clear that they do not like those of us who have moved down here. The term YANK/YANKEE kills me. (PS. the civil war is over) I hate when people ask where we are from because right away they have judged you. Additionally, in the North you are leaving school too early if you haven't gotten your Masters Degree and down here kids are dropping out as early as the middle school. I heard they were buidling a new middle school and I hope that it is better but it won't be done for a while and that does me no good. I would love to stick it out in NC, I have ailing family down here that I want to take care of and there are alot of things I like about living here BUT I am faced with the question do I sacrafice my child's well-being and education and stay here or do I move back to New York City.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:26 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,672 times
Quote:
I was wondering if you received any useful information. I moved to Calabash about a year ago and I am very happy with elementary school that my child is enrolled in but absolutely hate the middle school and have not heard many good things about the high school in Brunswick county. Home schooling in not an option. So if you or anyone else have any information on another middle school I would be most grateful.
I'm in Ocean Isle Beach and don't really hear good things about any of the middle schools in this area (by this "area" I pretty much mean the Shallotte area and south such as Calabash, I'm not really referring to more north such as Leland). My husband graduated from West Brunswick High and he says it was fine- he gets irritated at me for worrying over schools since we have a daughter who will soon start elementary school, and I am always telling him the bad things I hear about the middle schools and high schools in this area. He says all schools have problems and what's more important and what will make our daughter in this particular case ok, is parental involvement. So he thinks any school around here is fine. A lot of people who went to school with him in Brunswick did very poorly for themselves and didn't get a good education, but he doesn't think it's the schools, or at least he thinks the same thing can happen anywhere, he thinks kids'll be fine as long as their parents stay very involved in their education. I think so too, but it doesn't mean I'm not underenthused about the negative things I hear from local schools- while I agree with his thoughts I also want our daughter to have a good *school* experience. And I'm more worried about middle school...

Here is an example of one thing I know of that upsets me. It's not middle school though, it's elemntary...my niece is in 5th grade so the kids are what, 10 years old or so? And there was apparently some trouble she had with a boy in her class who was a good 3-4 years older. I was shocked and upset- that there was a boy that much older in class with 10yos. (My husband, ever the logic man, asked me: Well he failed a few grades, what are they suppsoed to do, put him in a class all to himself?" My answer was YES! but seriously....) However, that could be any school in the country and it shouldn't paint a picture of Brunswick schools. I haven't heard anything too stellar about any of the schools in my daughter's district, but my husband and a number of his classmates who applied themselves did go on to get good educations anyway. He feels he got just as good of an education here that he could have anywhere.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 23,402 times
I have been putting myself out there and asking lots of questions to school administrators and here is what I have come up with. I agree with your husband to a certain degree. If parents stay involved than children don't fall through the cracks but on the other hand you can't control children of other people and you can't be over your own 24/7. Secondly, how much time is spent overseeing what school administrators should be doing. The idea of school is a safe haven where children can socialize rather than being home schooled. The elementary schools for the most part seem to be fine. I haven't really come across any problems and comparison wise they seem to be on the same learning level with other areas. The middle school however grades on curves and my child never seems to have homework and very little effort is given to assignments. There is no parental involvement at the school. The school is overcrowed by at least 200 children and they have mobile units set up on the property so now there is an issue with children wandering around. How does a teacher control a class when its size consists of 26 or 27 students. There is no oversight at the school with one officer to patrol over 900 students and the stories parents have told me about what children are doing to other children appalls me. I have been told that a new middle school is being built in Ocean Isle but that won't be for another 2 - 3 years and what happens when these children meet again at high school. Once again over crowding. Who thought this out? I would love to ask the members of the Brunswick county BOE if they even care about our children? So unfortunately, I will wind up doing what others before me have done pull my children out before it is too late. What does that say of the school system. Look at the running list on this thread....not one good thing has been said about the school system. Very upsetting!!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,531 times
Default welcome

brunswick county is not newhanover county. we are just about halfway between myrtle beach and wilmington. if you require constant external stimuli for happiness it is likely you will not appreciate what this areas attraction is. peace and quiet with a short commute to some sembalence of metropolitan life. one area code though! welcome, we need qualified teacher/mentors.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
Quote:
I was wondering if you received any useful information. I moved to Calabash about a year ago and I am very happy with elementary school that my child is enrolled in but absolutely hate the middle school and have not heard many good things about the high school in Brunswick county. Home schooling in not an option. So if you or anyone else have any information on another middle school I would be most grateful.
What school does your child go to. I am an elementary teacher and looking to relocate to that area. I am also in need of a high school for my daughter. I would love any information you can give me concerning schools in your area. This will greatly determine to where I relocate.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,759,419 times
I taught at South Brunswick Middle School in the late 90's. It was one of the top schools in the state. I am not sure what happened.

Three things about Brunswick County. The beaches are tainted to some degree by the outflow of the Cape Fear. The water is dirty, to varying degrees, as you get near the east end of Oak Island, and it clears as you get distance from the mouth of the Cape Fear. This is one reason that there is still land to be had on the islands, they are some of the less desirable islands in the state. I lived there, I am not knocking them.

As a result, many in the area are "working class," with little if no formal education. This manifests itself in very low parental involvement in the schools. We would seldom have more than a handful come by classrooms on parents night or any function. In contrast, in West Des Moines, IA, where we moved after Brunswick County, we had to park about 1/2 mile from the school when we went to the first teacher's night. So, number one is, or at least, was, lack of any meaningful parental involvement.

Number two, to be blunt, losers. I very seasoned and insightful teacher told me when I first started that the problems with beach communities was that many people, as they got older in life, and having a hard time of it, remember the one positive experience in their life, a trip to the beach, so they return to the beach, hoping their lives will get better magically. These type of folks frequently are not the best role models, and seldom participate in making a school better. I helped coach the South Brunswick High School football team for several years, and I was dumbfound by the lack of a crowd when we played the Wilmington Schools. Very very very few parents would travel to even Wilmington to support their children and team. We seldom had a conference with a parent, about an unruly child, that we did not, following the conference, say "Well, now I understand." One mom showed up in micro short shorts and a halter one time and ......I digress!

Third, there is a very sharp divide between the haves and the have nots in Bruwnswick County. Kids sitting side by side in classrooms come from totally different worlds. With the influx of the "golfing crowd" golfing, gated communities, and such there are many more wealthy folks than there used to be. This sharp contrast in socio-economic status often fuels conflict and dissent.

In the end, I realized that the beach was a lot more fun to visit than a place to live, so after building our "dream home" I made the difficult decision to get out of Dodge. Have never second guessed that decision at all, but I did miss the school.

Good Luck.

LLN

Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times
I realize that I have come upon this post alot later than it was left but I am so frustrated I had to respond. I was born and raised on oak island. I resent the fact that you group everyone here together as if we all hate yankees. Which in fact we don't like some to be brutally honest, thats what were doing here correct? Yes the civil war is over, smart-alec, but what is not over is the way you and others (from the North) come down and talk about how poor and how slow and yada yada yada, if you don't like it move back up North, many like you, shove these comments on those of us that were PROUDLY born and raised here. That is a small insight as to why you may be receiving hositility, think about it. As for our education, I graduated from South Brunswick High School, which is no worse than any other school in the country, (its average) I also graduated from East Carolina University and will proudly explain to you anytime my experience with growing up the public school system and how yes there will always be pros and cons to ANY school system. I would love to see you find one that is perfect. As for our southern hospitality we treat others and they would treat us. Hope you and your family do not experience anything but the most welcome sense of warmth, because we do not mind you moving here, if you would like to join us in our love for our area, our schools and our lifestyle.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
I moved to this area about 25 years ago. I have two children who have been through SMS and WBHS. One of my kids had a learning disability and that child graduated from UNC-CH. The other child is in college now. The point is if you look for good teachers and positive things in our schools, you will find it. The key is to stay involved with your children. For all of those who are so negative about our schools; quit complaining, get involved, and make a difference!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 AM

107 posts, read 253,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be positive View Post
I moved to this area about 25 years ago. I have two children who have been through SMS and WBHS. One of my kids had a learning disability and that child graduated from UNC-CH. The other child is in college now. The point is if you look for good teachers and positive things in our schools, you will find it. The key is to stay involved with your children. For all of those who are so negative about our schools; quit complaining, get involved, and make a difference!
Amen!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina