Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:34 AM

36 posts, read 186,297 times

Advertisements

We plan to move to Carolina Colours just south of New Bern in a few years and look forward to boating the local waters. I understand the Neuse is brackish in that area which make me think of problems with leaving a boat in a slip for long periods of time.
Does anyone know if there is a marina in the New Bern area with boat lifts and/or covered storage like a boatel? I didn't see any when we were down but thought I'd ask. Also which marinas are good or bad in the area? I'd love to hear from some of you boaters out there.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:40 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
The Neuse is brackish (except right now with the drought it is more salt) and most of the Marinas are wet slips and you will need to bottom paint and have a Good float switch on your bilge. Alot of the local marinas are sail boats but you can find some dry storage areas near Newbern for power boats. North West Marina is where I keep my 22 wellcraft and they take good care of it since im in Cary two hours away. Also Nw is booked up two years in advance last time I spoke with them, so if your boat is less then 25 feet You might just want to keep it on the trailer.PS... its a lot cheaper(22 ft about $1800 a year wet slip) .

Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks NC Man. I plan on having a new deck boat between 24 or 27 feet. Looking mostly at Sea Ray, Hurricane and Crownline for now. I could leave them on a trailer and store it at North West if the launch ramp isn't too steep. Guess I need to get on the waiting list and that would put me toward the front of the line when I move down there.
Thanks again for the input. Hope to meet you on the water some day.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 15,531 times
Default Still planning a move?

I live in New Bern. Most people here who really care about their boats have the bottoms cleaned by a diver a couple times a year, usually in warm weather. Yes, most marinas offer wet slips only. Some new marinas are now under construction, so that may change. When do you plan to move? You might want to get on a waiting list for a slip. I am a boat broker and a boat owner, so let me know if I can help you find a boat, or answer any questions you have about the area.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Why not look into something like a Boston Whaler or something like that? Those are some great boats and can handle the weather a little better than a Sea Ray or something else with a lot of carpet. (My 26" Regal got all kinds of beat up by birds, sun, and weather in general...with a cover)

And a big +1 for the good bilge pump/switch. Nothing worse than going to the boat and seeing it half under water with a dead/bad battery and having to replace the starter or even the whole motor.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 AM

Default Good Points

Thanks Guys,
I appreciate the input. I've almost resigned myself to the fact that two boats is the best solution. Perhaps a 17 - 18 ft center console with no frills for fishing that I can keep on a trailer and a bigger boat with creature features for social boating.
I still have a couple of years before moving down to New Bern. Perhaps one of the big marinas like Bridgeton will eventually put in a boatel type out of water storage place. They have become popular up here in the DC area. They work well for keeping the bottom of your boat clean.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina