U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM

96 posts, read 356,072 times

Advertisements

All student atheletes in county were drug tested today. this seems unfair to me. test the entire student body or suspious students but to discriminate against one group seems like a civil rights violation.
what do you think?

Last edited by mkozlpn; 01-03-2008 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: changed mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,436,322 times
If all of the atheletes were tested, I don't see the problem. Had it been only a few of them, that would be an issue. Testing the entire student body is pointless. I'm struggling to think of a test-performance-enhancing drug out there.

With the added pressure that student-atheletes face these days, there are many who will cave in and begin the use of illegal drugs or performance-enhancing drugs. That seems like a good enough reason to test. And oftentimes it is the people you'd least expect to use that do.

I'm glad they did a test. With all the controversy this year in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg system, its about time someone put the hammer down and started passing out some real punishments and consequences.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM

197 posts, read 876,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlpn View Post
All student atheletes in county were drug tested today. this seems unfair to me. test the entire student body or suspious students but to discriminate against one group seems like a civil rights violation.
what do you think?
What county do you live in? Was there any reason or explanation given?
How were they tested?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:53 AM

144 posts, read 608,327 times
I was curious. What county are we talking about here and did the school state a reason for the tests (besides the obvious)? What civil right do you think has been violated by the test and if it was your son or daughter that was using drugs wouldn't you want to know so you could help them stop? Why is someone who lives in NY worried about what happens in NC or did you post this in all the forums?

I'm not necessarily agreed with or opposed to drug testing of students. As I have not really given it much thought. If my son was playing football and using drugs I would want to know. If it took a drug test administered by the school to find out--that would be fine with me. Even if it got him kicked off the team maybe I could help him stop before the drugs ruined his life. With all the emphasis in the press lately on the use of steroids in the Professional arenas maybe Middle school and High School is the place to start holding them accountable so they don't blow it later (although I'm sure that someone will point out that they are using steroids even in Middle School). It's a little too late to become outraged after they've blown up their heart and are lying dead on a field or court somewhere.

Let me see: saving their lives or infringing on their privacy? Which one seems more important? I know the first one seems all important, but the second one, if taken to extreme, could also be a huge problem. Still at this juncture I think saving their lives has to win. We just have to keep the second one from becoming a big problem through close attention by the parents. The only alternative is to educate them ourselves, now there's a novel idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina