Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:03 PM

277 posts, read 436,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
greenville has always been a college town. The local economy is centered around the university and medical school. I think a young, single person with an intelligent mind would be extremely bored there and lack other people to connect with. The people can also be very provincial.
Wow- A town centered around a university and medical school. It must be impossible for someone with an intelligent mind to find companionship. Right?

I'm in grad school at ECU and I think greenville is a fine town. I've made a lot of friends, we've kayaked on the river, gone to the bike trails out in the county, and even went to Goose Creek as another poster mentioned. It's not a bad place to spend a few years. ECU also has great sporting events to attend- open to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,400 times
One thing you're going to learn is that some people are going to complain no matter what city they are in, the grass is always greener and some people rather wallow in misery and blame a city for their own faults and/or laziness.

Greenville is one of those cities that is what you make it. It's not large, but I wouldn't call it small. There is a decent amount to do, but you'll need to make your own fun, and find it as well. Recreational sports to play, water sports within 30 minutes drive, decent selection of restaurants + Little Washington only 30 minutes away, Raleigh only 90 minutes away at most, beach 90 minutes away etc etc.

It's not without it's faults though. As someone said before, there is somewhat of a age gap. I"m currently in town as a 29 year old grad student, and there is quite a gap where you have thousands of 18-22 year olds, and then families/older professionals in their 30s, but lack a large population of those in the 23-30 range simply due to the lack of professional opportunities away from the university/hospital, and obvious many of those at the hospital work long hours or strange schedules. The traffic is also terrible for a city of this size; it can take 30 minutes to cross the city in rush hour, which is only a matter of a couple miles, plus Pitt County has the highest number of wrecks per person in the entire state. The road system was designed for a city of 25-30k and we're now pushing 100k+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina