U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:25 PM

4,401 posts, read 3,030,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
I doubt this seventy degree weather is going to hold, but I did see that the next couple of weeks will only have a couple of days where we might not make at least to the fifties.

Even if it is a little cooler, it is still nice when the sun stays out which it does a lot this time of year. The only exception is if there is wind.

Today was the first day we have been on the beach when there were no people in sight. I only saw the tracks of one person and a dog.

There were lots of birds just off shore. It was still pretty even with the clouds stealing most of the sunset.

I know. I've been watching too. Of course it will be in the fifties while we are there and not in the high 60s! LOL that will still be shorts weather for us.

How have YOU fared with hurricanes since you have been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
We have yet to have one really come ashore. It has been very quiet the last two years.

I rely a lot on a friend with whom I work. He's almost sixty and has lived here all his life.

He has evacuated once and said that was a mistake. He said the flooding was much worse inland than it was on the coast.

That has been the case recently. The storms move inland and just sit there and drop rain which has to go somewhere and inland it is the rivers which tend to flood.

We get lots of rain but it just runs into the ocean.

The storm which missed us this summer dropped eleven inches on Beaufort in just a few hours. It caused some minor flooding but quickly ran off into the ocean.

In Roanoke, VA eleven inches of rain is going to drive some people from their homes.

I suspect we will rely on my friend to tell us when to really evacuate. We are a few miles back from the coast and our area has never flooded in anyone's memory. We are also sheltered from the wind.

We had a pretty good Nor'easter last winter. I can remember being on the Emerald Isle bridge and being glad that my truck weighed a lot.

Last edited by dsobotta; 01-12-2008 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 PM

232 posts, read 690,496 times
Default GIS Data

Just thought I'd throw in some links for people wanting to research local conditions along the North Carolina coast. The following is a partial list of interactive GIS map pages for some of the coastal counties of NC. It's probably a good idea to read the disclaimer blurbs provided by the county gov't sites... informational purposes... no liability... your own responsibility to verify... yadda, yadda, yadda. Having said that, here you go:

Pamlico County- Pamlico County - GIS Mapping Service (http://www.co.pamlico.nc.us/OnlineServices_GIS.aspx - broken link)

Craven County- Craven County GIS

Carteret County- http://maps.co.carteret.nc.us/GeoBladeWeb.aspx

Onslow County- Onslow County GIS

Pender County- Pender County On-Line GIS Disclaimer (http://www.pender-county.com/disclaimer.php - broken link)

New Hanover County- Pages - GISMaps (http://www.nhcgov.com/AgnAndDpt/INFO/GIS/Pages/GISMaps.aspx - broken link)

Brunswick County- Brunswick County, North Carolina GIS

A more comprehensive listing of GIS maps and information for North Carolina counties can be found at the following North Carolina State University website:

North Carolina County GIS Data: GIS: NCSU Libraries

Last edited by Sleestak; 01-14-2008 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 10,186 times
Smile Thanks

Thank you so much Everyone for all your advice and beautiful pictures. It seems like there is way more in North Carolina for environmental research than here in South Carolina. I really appreciate all of your help...THANKS AGAIN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina