Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 10:07 AM

78 posts, read 161,192 times

Advertisements

I've just accepted a job in Greenville, NC, and am wondering what the best areas to live in are, and possibly areas to avoid? The job is 5 minutes from ECU.

I am under 30, not really huge into night-life, love the outdoors (biking, kayaking), and prefer a safe area but doesn't have to be gated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:35 AM

120 posts, read 227,775 times
I don't know exactly what you are looking for. Whether you are looking to buy or rent, the price range, the type of area in which you prefer to live... so I will take a shot in the dark.

I really like the area of town close to the river, next to the green-way and dog park. I like the Tar River Estates apartments... I'm sure there are others that are nice in the area as well. I've lived in that area before and always found it safe. With its proximity to the river and the green-way, its nice for kayaking and biking but it's also close enough to downtown to ride your bike or even walk- if you wanted to get a drink or something to eat with a friend and didn't want to drive. Plus, I think it's probably one of your best options to meet people in the area, there are always people jogging, walking their dogs or even laying out on the greenspaces down there. Though this area is still fairly young, it's not all college students, I would expect that it's about half and half... Well, there are probably still more college aged students. Many young professionals live in the area as well though. But again, it really depends on your personality, what you like in an area and a city. If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to assist if I can.

Good Luck

Old 01-07-2015, 11:49 AM

78 posts, read 161,192 times
Thanks for the response! My price range is $500 max (including utilities), and I'm looking to rent for probably 2-3 years. Tar River Estates and that area you described sounds right up my alley.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM

120 posts, read 227,775 times
Well, I don't think you would be able to afford Tar River Estates alone on $500. You would likely have to find a roommate if you wanted to stay in those apartments. But The Gables-East or others beside the greenway/river are more affordable. At your age, i prefer that side of town.. though some don't like it, they prefer to get out of the downtown area a bit... and it can be cheaper as you get further away from downtown. Plus some will say that the area isn't as safe. But i've always felt safe down there, i think a lot of it is just being smart... But even walking home from downtown really late in that area, I felt safe...

Old 01-08-2015, 11:35 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,798,711 times
$500 a month including utilities puts you in the middle college market range, so I would expect to be anywhere with college kids around.

Look up the Greenway and look along there. There are some older complexes that are perfectly fine and affordable and the neighborhoods are fine, as well as being conveniently located.

If you go the roommate route, you may be able to get into nicer complexes because you will share bills/rent. I would think that would be the goal.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,725,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

If you go the roommate route, you may be able to get into nicer complexes because you will share bills/rent. I would think that would be the goal.
Yes, and you could advertise for a "quiet upperclassman or grad student". Or a music major, they're always practicing, never home.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,666,342 times
Inner Banks Outfitters, in Washington (20 miles east of Greenvile) hosts a lot of yakking events. Have fun!

Old 01-10-2015, 06:53 PM

978 posts, read 2,040,599 times
I lived in a 1br apartment off Evans St near Lowe's Foods a few years ago. I think the rent was around $400. With utilities it might be $550. No students and it was a safe area.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 AM

13 posts, read 15,375 times
Hello
I am looking to visit Greenville NC next summer. I have started the venture of looking for places of possibly retirement. I visit Asheville NC love the mountain views, beaches are not as close by. Any imputes would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:28 PM

181 posts, read 239,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcef View Post
Hello
I am looking to visit Greenville NC next summer. I have started the venture of looking for places of possibly retirement. I visit Asheville NC love the mountain views, beaches are not as close by. Any imputes would be greatly appreciated.
people live in Greenville to work, not retire. Unless you've got some connection to the area, I'd keep moving east to the beach to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina