U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,487 times

Advertisements

My family and I have lived in Ohio our entire life and want to make a major move to better ourselves and our children. We are thinking around the Greenville/Winterville area only because it is close enough to the ocean but inward far enough that hurricanes won't be a huge issue. (Maybe I'm wrong about that, please let me know if I am). I also found Winterville on a list of the best places to raise children. We have also considered Raleigh as well. We have 2 small children and school systems are also very important to me as is crime rates. I live in a town that doesn't have alot for children to do now (parks, play places, community activies, etc) and this is very important to me as we will not know a single person when we make the move. Any advice that anyone can get me we be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 AM

983 posts, read 3,523,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshreve View Post
My family and I have lived in Ohio our entire life and want to make a major move to better ourselves and our children. We are thinking around the Greenville/Winterville area only because it is close enough to the ocean but inward far enough that hurricanes won't be a huge issue. (Maybe I'm wrong about that, please let me know if I am). I also found Winterville on a list of the best places to raise children. We have also considered Raleigh as well. We have 2 small children and school systems are also very important to me as is crime rates. I live in a town that doesn't have alot for children to do now (parks, play places, community activies, etc) and this is very important to me as we will not know a single person when we make the move. Any advice that anyone can get me we be appreciated. Thanks
Look up Hurricane Floyd (1999) and see how it affected thte Greenville area.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:36 AM

11,258 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Look up Hurricane Floyd (1999) and see how it affected the Greenville area.
Also, when Hurricane Irene blew through in 2011, there was a lot of inland damage from up-rooted trees. Some roofs were blown off, and crops were damaged.

This is not to dissuade you from looking at Winterville, it's just that you have to be realistic. I have read that home insurers see anything east of I-95 and charge a premium for wind and hail coverage.

The Raleigh area is also a good choice, but the primary criterion should be where the wage earner can find the best job. Even from Raleigh, you are about 2+ hours to a beach, and that is doable for a day-trip.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM

183 posts, read 241,222 times
It is always hit or miss with hurricanes in NC.One did major damage in Raleigh before i moved here in 2005.We will be moving to the New Bern area from Raleigh in the upcoming months.Good luck to you

Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 14,265 times
Been in Greenville 8 years (from Ohio originally). Missed Floyd so can't comment on its effect. Haven't had significant damage from a hurricane - only some downed limbs. Depending upon approach - any inland area can be somewhat affected but it has never been a real issue at least for me. Definitely different in eastern NC from Ohio - certainly the lay of the land and amount of trailer parks was one of my biggest surprises. Schools in this area are not as good as they were in Ohio (at least Cuyahoga County), but they are not bad either. I think Wake County has better schools (Raleigh) overall.

The city and surrounding areas (Winterville) are slowly arising from my perceived stuck in the 60's era, but has a good way to go. Nice people overall, but would take some time to adjust. Raleigh would be less of a cultural change (unless you are from a more rural area).

Overall not a bad place to relocate, just very different. (I feel safe saying as I have lived Ohio, PA, CT, DC, VA). One caveat - moving to NC you will miss ethnic unique features (food especially, neighborhoods, festivals, etc)

Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM

353 posts, read 472,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe41 View Post
One caveat - moving to NC you will miss ethnic unique features (food especially, neighborhoods, festivals, etc)
That's not all of NC, that's just Winterville. Go to other urban areas in NC and you'll find plenty of ethnic features. For example, Wilmington has very large and active Greek and Hispanic communities.

Winterville was nothing but farmland and a little bitty town in the middle of nowhere until recently. It's going to take a while for their culture to catch up.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:42 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
That's not all of NC, that's just Winterville. Go to other urban areas in NC and you'll find plenty of ethnic features. For example, Wilmington has very large and active Greek and Hispanic communities.

Winterville was nothing but farmland and a little bitty town in the middle of nowhere until recently. It's going to take a while for their culture to catch up.
So true. Please don't make a sweeping assumption about an entire state based on life in a suburb of a college town.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,487 times
What are the areas in Greenville that I should avoid when looking for houses? I don't want to be in a really unsafe area but I don't want near frat houses either.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:58 PM

183 posts, read 241,222 times
Find out from people in the area a good realtor there.Our realtor has really helped us in the New Bern area.Also if you can spend a few days in the area

Old 01-22-2015, 04:14 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjb1953 View Post
Find out from people in the area a good realtor there.Our realtor has really helped us in the New Bern area.Also if you can spend a few days in the area
Well give him or her a shoutout!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or