Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:20 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,582 times

Advertisements

Great suggestion, I read the State Pilot but mostly only the front news page.

Will be so glad to move south; we currently live on Cape Cod and are awaiting an "epic" snow storm this Tuesday. Won't miss the NE weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:16 PM

89 posts, read 133,717 times
Hi GMarcan920 - My husband and I are in the process of moving somewhere in Brunswick County, currently renting on Oak Island. We joined the Brunswick Newcomers' Club last week along with 11 others - membership is close to 380 and tons of activities from special interest classes to wine tasting parties. Go to the website for info on the next meeting and activities. www.brunswicknewcomers.com

Old 01-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Weather permitting, we'll be leaving Cape Cod 2/14, and are renting a house on Oak Island until April 4th. We hope to buy in Rivermist, but will probably look around some. Thank you for the link to the Newcomers Club, exactly what I had in mind when I posted my question.

Where are you looking in Brunswick County? We definitely want to live in Southport (my daughter lives there and loves it). Reminds me of Cape Cod 20-30 years ago.

Again, thank you for the information.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Great suggestion, I read the State Pilot but mostly only the front news page.

Will be so glad to move south; we currently live on Cape Cod and are awaiting an "epic" snow storm this Tuesday. Won't miss the NE weather
We've camped at Cape Cod every year for 18 years or so, always said I wanted to retire there......not anymore, the last few snowstorms have us looking south. Love the Cape.....in the summer

Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 23,627 times
Hi GMarcan920,
Where on the Cape are you? We just bought a lot in St James but also have a home in Harwich. While Southport looks like a beautiful year round location - reminds us of a slightly smaller Chatham - our plan will be to be in St James from Columbus Day until Memorials Day and the Cape for the Summer and early Fall. Best of both worlds. After this recent winter weather in Ct, I can't wait to get down there.. Good luck

Old 01-28-2015, 06:18 PM

We live in Mashpee. This storm was a doozy, firmly cemented our feeling of moving south. I love the Cape but the summers are brutal (traffic) and the winters .... well we know what the winters can be like.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:45 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
I am reviving this old thread.....

GMarcan....are you still in Rivermist? Do you enjoy living there? We just purchased a home there. Won't be moving in full time for 2 years but home to get down 1-2 weekends a month and some vacations.

I see you are from MA....we are originally from RI...moved to the Raleigh area 9 years ago. We'd love to have neighbors to watch Red Sox and Patriots games with!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 PM

213 posts, read 211,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I am reviving this old thread.....

GMarcan....are you still in Rivermist? Do you enjoy living there? We just purchased a home there. Won't be moving in full time for 2 years but home to get down 1-2 weekends a month and some vacations.

I see you are from MA....we are originally from RI...moved to the Raleigh area 9 years ago. We'd love to have neighbors to watch Red Sox and Patriots games with!
We're looking on and around Southport on line so far. No had time to really go to neighborhoods. So what sold you on River mist over other areas. Thanks

Old 08-14-2017, 06:46 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinehurstcharlie View Post
We're looking on and around Southport on line so far. No had time to really go to neighborhoods. So what sold you on River mist over other areas. Thanks
Several reasons:
Price range: we were looking to stay under 300K
Away from flood zone
Not too large of a community (300 homes in Rivermist)
Clubhouse/pool/tennis courts
Not age restricted (We currently live in a Del Webb community in the Raleigh Durham area)
Close proximity to beaches and town (2 miles to riverfront in Southport and about 5 miles to Caswell Beach/Oak Island

St James was just way too large for us. My husband enjoys playing golf for fun but is not a serious golfer. We don't have a boat but love the water!
Arbor Creek is really nice...some of the homes were a bit older, some dated. There was one being built that I really liked but it was already sold. We also met a few residents while driving around Rivermist. They were extremely friendly and assured us that it was very active socially. We've already been invited to a block party in the fall! Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:37 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinehurstcharlie View Post
In addition to the response you got from ljd1010, here is a post he/she made on another thread that may interest you, as it contains some specific neighborhood information:

"Update! We recently returned from Southport and LOVED it! It reminded us of a small New England town (we are both native New Englanders) and this is what we are looking for in retirement. The town itself is quaint and the harbor so inviting. We spent mornings drinking coffee, sitting on a bench in town by the pier, watching the sunrise. We ate at Fishy Fishy, Frying Pan and look forward to eating at Joseph's, Island Way and Beana's on OI.

Given that we are beach lovers, we loved the proximity to Caswell Beach and Oak Island. My husband runs and loves to run along the water's edge....I'll be walking! We realize it is a small town and will need to go to Wilmington or Myrtle Beach for major shopping. We don't mind at all mind a 30 minute ride to get to larger stores, theater etc.

We did a lot of exploration and looked at lots of homes. We were willing to raise our price point for a place for a place we loved.
*St James was not for us. Too large, I found it overwhelming. DH golf's but only occasionally and definitely for fun. We don't have a boat and it seemed that everyone we met from SJP were either really into gold or avid boaters.
*Arbor Creek was very nice. Really nice homes, mature landscaping. Loved a new construction house there, would have raised my price and bought it but it was already under contract
*South Harbor was lovely but single family homes were more than we wanted to spend.
*Seaspray Cove, the few streets making up the cove were nice ranches, very well manicured yards, but we didn't like the surrounding neighborhood, it was pretty run down.
*Rivermist, pretty neighborhood, lots of ponds, open spaces.

End result, we bought a house in Rivermist. Fell in love with the home. Met several neighbors who were all retirees who had relocated. Very friendly and welcoming. We won't be moving down for at least a year, maybe 2 but for now, we will go down on weekends and vacations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina